EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Instrumentation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/instrumentation.html)
-   -   Maxitrip for $100 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/maxitrip-100-a-9377.html)

claytori 07-24-2009 01:15 PM

Maxitrip for $100

The new flyer for Princess Auto (stores in Canada - based in Winnipeg) has a device called a Maxitrip on special for CAN$98.88

I had a look at the website and it looks similar in capability to the SGII.
Autel

Nevyn 07-24-2009 01:40 PM

Amazon has 'em for 99.95 USD. 3 reviews, two positive one negative. Anybody willing to bite? I'd do it if funds were available to me. Perhaps SVOBoy can get one sent to EcoModder for a review unit?

gone-ot 07-24-2009 10:36 PM

...how do YOU read this? When I GOOGLED on MaxiTrip, I was sent to this URL: MaxiTrip

...and, (???)the 5th down "product" listed was this item: "Scan Gauge 3-in-1" with the text "Scan Gauge 3-in-1 Automotive Computer. SCAN GAUGE II FOR VEHICLES BUILT AFTER 1996. Scan Gauge II by Linear-Logic is a 3-in-1 Automotive Computer. It functions as at Trip Computer, MPG Gauge and a..."

...kinda makes you wonder if *they're* the actual manufacturer of the SG/SGII for Linear-Logic here in Arizona?

...according to the website, their address is: Rm404, Unit A, Tower Ninth, Zhujiang Xujing Area, Banxuegang Rd., Longgang, Shenzhen 518129, China., Shenzhen, Guangdon, China; Phone: 86-755-61216348 - Fax: 86-755-61216911

...try pronouncing all that without a mistake?!!?

taredog 07-25-2009 10:09 PM

Yeah, I'll bite. Amazon is pretty good at returns if it is a total POS.

If it somehow takes out my PCM, I guess I can always walk to Tempe and yell a lot:D

Since I don't have a SG I am gonna need some inputs on what you wanna know about this thing (assuming it works).

QuickLTD 07-26-2009 01:56 PM

Looks interesting but it also looks like it is missing an instant mpg reading..

cfg83 07-26-2009 02:16 PM

QuickLTD -

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuickLTD (Post 117778)
Looks interesting but it also looks like it is missing an instant mpg reading..

*IF* one of the input parameters includes engine displacement, then I'm guessing they reversed engineered the SG :

China 4-In-One Auto Computer Maxitrip (TP100) products
Quote:

Model: MaxiTrip (TP100)
Company: Shenzhen Autel Intelligent Tech. Co., Ltd.

CarloSW2

gone-ot 07-26-2009 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 117780)
*IF* one of the input parameters includes engine displacement, then I'm guessing they reversed engineered the SG

...that was in the back of my mind too, but I didn't want to make accusation without evidence.

cfg83 07-26-2009 02:51 PM

Old Tele man -

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 117781)
...that was in the back of my mind too, but I didn't want to make accusation without evidence.

Yeah, that's why I used the word "guess", as in an "edge-ooh-muh-kate-ed" guess.

CarloSW2

Rokeby 07-26-2009 05:55 PM

Very interesting indeed. A 4-in-1 unit vs. the 3-in-1 SG.
~2/3 the cost of the ScanGauge and has most of it's features.
No mention of XGauge-like programing.

Otherwise:
Pros
* Lower cost.
* Shape is easy on the eyes.
* Display appears up-scale from SG.
* Data Logger, the added 4th function. (See Note below.)
* Has more buttons. :rolleyes:

Cons:
* Manufacturer support?
* Quality, longevity?
* Physical size?
* Apparently no choice of the data logged.
* Has more buttons. :confused:

Note:
From the Autel site --

Vehicle Black Box
The MaxiTrip™ TP100 will be able to save up to 300 hours of your driving
data. It works as a vehicle black box to store every trip you make. The
information it records includes:
     ● Time and date for each trip   ● Distance travelled each trip
     ● Maximum speed during trip   ● Time overspeed
     ● Number of times of deceleration limit exceeded during trip
     ● Number of times of acceleration limit exceeded during trip
     ● Hard accelerations and braking

taredog 07-26-2009 09:08 PM

Interesting comments.

It is on it's way. Maybe it will turn out to be a $100 paperweight.:cool:

I tried to get the owners manual from Autel's site but tho there is a link to it, it is not really there.:mad:

I'll let you know.

cfg83 07-26-2009 09:26 PM

taredog -

Quote:

Originally Posted by taredog (Post 117849)
Interesting comments.

It is on it's way. Maybe it will turn out to be a $100 paperweight.:cool:

I tried to get the owners manual from Autel's site but tho there is a link to it, it is not really there.:mad:

I'll let you know.

Thanks! I am really curious to know if you input engine displacement.

CarloSW2

mrk 07-27-2009 04:59 AM

Hi
I found this link, and it seems the manual
http://www.alpha-bid.com/media/Produ...TripManual.pdf

and yes, you input the engine displacement
Scangauge users could check differences between both (I do not have one)
Let's see if it is a real alternative to SG

cfg83 07-27-2009 11:25 AM

mrp -

Welcome to EM! Great detective work.

CarloSW2

Rokeby 07-27-2009 03:52 PM

mrk, nice find.

This unit is looking pretty good.

Quick review of Owners Manual shows:
* Uses Hybrid as a "fuel" type -- keeps gauge(s) activated for the "Trip"
despite ICE shutdowns.
* Can correct gauge speed and distance readouts for tire circumfrence --
does not affect vehicle gauges.
* Has virtually all of the ScanGauge functionality, plus the data logging
feature.
* Two OBD ports
* One USB port

As good as an SG?

Maybe not; no mention of XGuage-like programmable functions.

(I wonder if the XGauge codes for the SG work on this unit too.)

I have an SG, and I wouldn't switch... at least not yet... at times I check
readings on eight X Gauges.

gone-ot 07-27-2009 08:46 PM

...it was the USB port & recording/logging capability that caught my eye. So, obviously, I'm looking forward to reading taredog's review.

...FWIW, my recent inquiry to Linear-Logic about USB was vague but incouraging: "...ScanGaugeII is not yet able to be connected to a computer." [emphasis is mine]

taredog 07-27-2009 09:25 PM

mrk - thanks for the manual.

It does appear as if it does not measure instant mpg.

It should arrive Friday. Do not own a SG so am not familiar with SG functions. I will mess with this new TP100 thing and try to figure out what it will do.

The USB interface caught my eye too. Will be interesting to see what you can do with it.

So please ask about anything you can think of (pertaining to this guage:D)

And, teleman, my heat is both hotter AND dryer than yours

gone-ot 07-27-2009 09:28 PM

...not trying to "speak" for others, but I'm sure people will want to know if the X-Gauge stuff can work on it (implied assumption that MaxiTrip and SGII are clones under different plastic skins).

...also, what about the backlighting? Monochromatic or different colors?

...my motto: "...ENQUIRING minds want to know, everybody else is just NOSEY!"

mrk 07-29-2009 11:19 AM

Please tell me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that it does measure instant (and average) mpg

From the manual:

Displayed items are as follow:
ØKPH (MPH): Current vehicle speed
ØL (GAL): Fuel used of current trip
ØLK∮ (MG∮): Average fuel economy per 100 kilometer/mile
ØLHK (MPG): Fuel economy per 100 kilometer/mile
ØXX:XX: Time driven
ØKM (MI): Distance driven
ØKM (MI ): Distance remaining before tank is empty
ØKH∮(MH∮): Average speed
ØKPH (MPH): Maximum speed

And one question about gauges, does SG has more items than Maxitrip??
cheers

taredog 08-01-2009 02:30 PM

The Maxtrip arrived yesterday. The "sticker" listed as an accessory was missing. (maybe I should send it back?:D) Otherwise it was complete and in good shape.

It appears right now that the USB interface is only good for "software updates. My PC recognizes it as a device but not a drive. Will investigate that further later.

Just plugged it in and went through the setup (engine size, tank size, fuel type) The sleep mode without the engine running comes way too quick.

Going on my weekly shopping trip which is my worse FE trip. Will keep you posted on results.

taredog 08-01-2009 06:41 PM

Maxitrip

It works.

I lost the reply That had a lot of info in it.

Its about the third time it has happened on this MB.

If you really wnat to know about this thing, please enlighten me as to why my post keep disappearing when I try to preview them.

gone-ot 08-01-2009 07:43 PM

FWIW...your number of posts haven't incremented over the past couple of postings either!

Dust 08-02-2009 04:50 AM

Got my SG2 for a good deal, but still interested in how this works out.

tasdrouille 08-02-2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taredog (Post 119033)
It works.

I lost the reply That had a lot of info in it.

Its about the third time it has happened on this MB.

If you really wnat to know about this thing, please enlighten me as to why my post keep disappearing when I try to preview them.

Whenever I type a long post, I always hit ctrl+a followed by ctrl+c before previewing or posting, so I always have a copy stored in in memory. Should something go bad, I just start over and paste my saved post.

taredog 08-02-2009 06:51 PM

Maxitrip

My log in may be timing out, I found that in the bug thread. If it's a long post I'll just type it in a word processor and cut and paste.

I left the Maxitrip sitting on the dash in the direct sun for about 30 minutes. When I started the truck it didn't come on. I cooled it off in front of the A/C vent for a short time and it powered back up. I don't know what the temperature in the cab was, my wife "borrowed" my thermometer a couple years ago and I haven't replaced it. The outside temperature was 110F+. My Nuvi 370 was sitting right next to it and was working fine.

Never a good idea to leave electronic devices in the sun or where people can see them.

It does do instantaneous MPG and GPH when stopped.

No x-guage functions.

It seems to work as expected. The USB interface seems to be only for downloading firmware updates.

Ricketts 08-02-2009 09:26 PM

Not sure about it...

Hi Everyone;

New guy here...found this website while trying to find information about the Maxitrip units.

I bought two of them from Princess Auto in Winnipeg (good return policy) at the sale price of $99.95cdn each. I also own a Scan Gauge 2 which I had been moving between my three vehicles (I bought a couple of extra OBDII cables when I bought the SG2).

These are my findings (sorry for the long post):

- Maxitrip will not work with existing SG2 cables, pinouts of the RJ45 connector are different. I had to re-route new cables (no biggie).

- Display colour cannot be changed like the SG2 (no biggie).

- After shutting off the vehicle and then restarting afterwards, the display does not return to the screen I was on when I shut it off. I have to press the "Trip" or "Gauge" button again.

- I cannot customize the display to show all the parameters I want. I want RPM, Coolant temp, Speed, and fuel consumption (litres per 100 kilometers, LHK) On the "Gauge" display, I can get everything I want, except LHK. The only place I can get the LHK readings are under the "Current" display for "Trip", so I have to keep switching between the two displays. (Biggie)

- While in the "Trip"/"Current" display to watch my fuel consumption, I have noticed that the LHK reading will not revert to 0 when my injectors shut off while coasting in gear. My Scan Gauge indicates 0LHK when coasting in gear in my Miata and my Saturn as my injectors have shut off. The Maxitrip always shows around 1.7 to 2.2 LHK. Having driven the vehicles so much and knowing them well, I can tell the injectors have been shut off when I press the throttle (by the way the cars react). So I know the injectors have shut off, but the Maxitrip does not indicate it. If I put the SG2 back in, it shows 0LHK again.

This is a big issue, as I regularily use this feature to alter my driving habits to maximize the amount of time the injectors stay off, so this may be a deal breaker for me.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there any way to alter this with fuel calibration on the Maxitrip? I did not have to do this with the Scan Gauge, when the injectors shut off, it tells you so.

Made in China knockoff of the Scan Gauge, but not as good functionality-wise.

Glad I found this site, there is an amazing amount of info here!!

Regards,

Rick

taredog 08-04-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricketts (Post 119208)
Hi Everyone;

New guy here...found this website while trying to find information about the Maxitrip units.

I bought two of them from Princess Auto in Winnipeg (good return policy) at the sale price of $99.95cdn each. I also own a Scan Gauge 2 which I had been moving between my three vehicles (I bought a couple of extra OBDII cables when I bought the SG2).

- Maxitrip will not work with existing SG2 cables, pinouts of the RJ45 connector are different. I had to re-route new cables (no biggie).

- After shutting off the vehicle and then restarting afterwards, the display does not return to the screen I was on when I shut it off. I have to press the "Trip" or "Gauge" button again.

You can set the display but your choices are limited to "menu " or "current trip"

I cannot customize the display to show all the parameters I want. I want RPM, Coolant temp, Speed, and fuel consumption (litres per 100 kilometers, LHK) On the "Gauge" display, I can get everything I want, except LHK. The only place I can get the LHK readings are under the "Current" display for "Trip", so I have to keep switching between the two displays. (Biggie)

- While in the "Trip"/"Current" display to watch my fuel consumption, I have noticed that the LHK reading will not revert to 0 when my injectors shut off while coasting in gear. My Scan Gauge indicates 0LHK when coasting in gear in my Miata and my Saturn as my injectors have shut off. The Maxitrip always shows around 1.7 to 2.2 LHK. Having driven the vehicles so much and knowing them well, I can tell the injectors have been shut off when I press the throttle (by the way the cars react). So I know the injectors have shut off, but the Maxitrip does not indicate it. If I put the SG2 back in, it shows 0LHK again.

Noticed that also, though using the MPG readout. Never have seen 9999. Do not have any big high speed hills here. The question here is who's shuckin who? If you are going 62MPH and take your foot off the throttle, do your injectors immediately shut off or is SGII making you feel good?

This is a big issue, as I regularily use this feature to alter my driving habits to maximize the amount of time the injectors stay off, so this may be a deal breaker for me.

Has anyone else seen this issue? Is there any way to alter this with fuel calibration on the Maxitrip? I did not have to do this with the Scan Gauge, when the injectors shut off, it tells you so.

What fuel calibration? Have you discovered something I haven;t?

Regards,

Rick

Everything Ricketts said

QuickLTD 08-04-2009 02:00 AM

Your injectors cant shut of for long periods even on the Chryslers with the multi displacement or whatever its called they have to shoot every few cycles to cool the pistons if im not mistaken.. besides if the all the injectors shut off.. Shouldnt the engine? Or am I missing something in the termonology here

gone-ot 08-04-2009 10:34 AM

MDS = Multi Displacement System.

...non-firing cylinders shouldn't need cooling because (except for ring friction) there's no combustion heat being generated...but, there *is* compression heat however.

...and, "raw" gasoline will actually dissolve the lubricating oil film off the rings, causing metal-on-metal friction wear.

...some of the new engine computers actually do shut off all fuel injectors during deceleration (ala' diesels) because (a) saves fuel and (b) reduces exhaust emissions (zero IN = zero OUT).

...on my SIDI Toyota-made 2ZR-FE engine, there's a VERY noticable "back-off" when I lift the throttle and seemingly all injection stops (I'm not sure if it's 100%, 99%, or even 50%).

SIDI = Spark Ignition Direct Injection, diesel-like injection directly into cylinders rather than intake manifold or behind values. (similar to GM's 260 hp Turbo 2.0L engines)

QuickLTD 08-04-2009 11:08 AM

Thanks for the clarifications. I looked around for the article I was refering too regarding the cylinder cooling but I couldnt find it. I think what I meant was it switched between the pistons used to make the 4 cyl.. not always using the same 4. I dont mean to thread jack so back to the topic of the Maxitrip.
Thanks

Ricketts 08-04-2009 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taredog (Post 119487)
Originally Posted by Ricketts
Hi Everyone;

You can set the display but your choices are limited to "menu " or "current trip"

Good to know

I cannot customize the display to show all the parameters I want. I want RPM, Coolant temp, Speed, and fuel consumption (litres per 100 kilometers, LHK) On the "Gauge" display, I can get everything I want, except LHK. The only place I can get the LHK readings are under the "Current" display for "Trip", so I have to keep switching between the two displays. (Biggie)

Noticed that also, though using the MPG readout. Never have seen 9999. Do not have any big high speed hills here. The question here is who's shuckin who? If you are going 62MPH and take your foot off the throttle, do your injectors immediately shut off or is SGII making you feel good?

I think the SG2 is correct because when it is telling me the injectors are off in the Saturn and the Miata, there is more engine braking and I feel a slight "lurch" when I press the throttle again. If the injectors do not shut off, I do not feel the lurch. It follows what the SG2 display indicates. Its harder to detect in the Miata, but easy in the Saturn as I think I need to replace an engine mount, it really lurches. From what I have read, the injectors regularily shut off in a manual tranny OBDII vehicle, not so often in an automatic

What fuel calibration? Have you discovered something I haven;t?

No I haven't...that's why I asked if there was a menu setting or something I am missing while setting up the Maxitrip.

Regards,

Rick

Have you had any more testing time taredog? I'm still debating on keeping them or not, maybe I have just got used to the SG2 too much.

Thanks,

Rick

Ricketts 08-06-2009 11:05 PM

Returning for refund

Both my Maxitrip units act the same as Taredog's. Leave them in the sun and they lock up. If I unplug the RJ45 connector and plug it back in (reboot, I guess) they will start working again. I had to reset the one in my Saturn 3 times today.

Actually, they aren't even in the sun, the cars are in the sun, so its only the ambient temperature that is causing the lockup.

Today, it was only 70 degrees outside, maybe 80 inside my Saturn and the gauge still locked up.

Chinese junk and no comparison to the Scan Gauge. If you can afford the extra 50 bucks or so, go for the Scan Gauge.

Rick

taredog 08-07-2009 07:44 PM

Another quirk?

Something else I noticed this week, in the Current Trip mode, the average MPG is always the same as Total MPG. I would like an average of the Current trip, defined as since the engine was started.

An example is driving home today, Under the Trip function Current shows 16.9 MPG average, the same as Total. Today shows 19.8 MPG average, which I don't doubt as my trip in to work and back had very little stop and go.

I haven't had a repeat of the heat related shutdown but I have covered parking at work and a garage at home so the unit hasn't gotten all that hot this week.

More later.

gone-ot 08-08-2009 12:16 AM

...from what I'm hearing from you (taredog) and Ricketts, it's sounding like a case of "GOOD, BAD & UGLY"...meaning, yes it works (sometimes), but not easily (compared with SGII) and has problems.

...a blunt question: do you think it was 'worth' $100? The Auto Meter 9100 ecometer cost me about $75 (cost+s/h), but I'd say (to me) it's probably really only WORTH about $50 because of the short-comings I've encountered. What's your take on the Maxi-Trip?

taredog 08-08-2009 02:30 AM

Your choice

Once again I have lost a reply on this MB by going to another window for other issues. Mods, WTF?

I cannot comment on what is worth how much to who. Look at other threads under instrumentation. There are options. I am leaning toward paying $50 more for SGII or going mpguino or carchippro.

Perhaps if some of the experts on this MB would stop being so cryptic, we could all know

cfg83 08-08-2009 02:55 AM

taredog -

Quote:

Originally Posted by taredog (Post 120222)
Once again I have lost a reply on this MB by going to another window for other issues. Mods, WTF?

I cannot comment on what is worth how much to who. Look at other threads under instrumentation. There are options. I am leaning toward paying $50 more for SGII or going mpguino or carchippro.

Perhaps if some of the experts on this MB would stop being so cryptic, we could all know

I am not sure what you mean. Do you check the "Remember" box when you log in? If you don't check this option, your login will be timed-out by design.

I would say that only the SGI/II and MPGuino are well-tested staples of this forum. The SGI/II is plug-and-play but only works for 1996 and up. The MPGuino is cheaper and better and works with pre-1996, but requires more fiddlin'.

CarloSW2

Ricketts 08-08-2009 06:03 PM

If I didn't already have one SGII I may have overlooked the Maxitrips shortcomings for $100.00. I have an SGII and three cables, so I can move the SG between vehicles without much fuss, but saw the price on the Maxitrips and got lazy :D

The unit's issues were more along the lines of "its not the same as the SG" which I like in the way I can personalize it, plus the X Gauge feature. That was until the Maxitrips started locking up in the heat...then it was game over. I live in northern Ontario, so I don't think my interiors are super hot...especially this summer. It hasn't stopped raining for it feels like a month :(

I'm at the point where I wish I could buy more North American stuff...pretty tired of the Chinese knock-off crap.

Rick

cfg83 08-08-2009 07:08 PM

Ricketts -

Thanks for taking the plunge. You got your feet wet and we'll be able to warn others of the quality problems in the future.

CarloSW2

Ricketts 08-09-2009 09:32 AM

Glad to be of help.

I'm really glad I found this website - I have just finished going over the hypermiling tips and am surprised how many of these I can use (or already do use) on a regular basis.

I'm on mostly quiet rural roads so coasting down slowly to a stop sign doesn't aggravate anyone on the road...except my wife.

I'm still trying to break her habit of keeping her foot mashed on the throttle until the very moment it is time to hit the brakes - hard!

Rick

taredog 08-09-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 120224)
taredog -

I am not sure what you mean. Do you check the "Remember" box when you log in? If you don't check this option, your login will be timed-out by design.

I would say that only the SGI/II and MPGuino are well-tested staples of this forum. The SGI/II is plug-and-play but only works for 1996 and up. The MPGuino is cheaper and better and works with pre-1996, but requires more fiddlin'.

CarloSW2

Sorry, mixing subjects on the thread, just frustrated.

Yes I have checked the "remember me" box. It does not remember me and windows doesn't offer to remember the password. Maybe it"s a local problem with my browser. I just have to give ecomodder my undivided attention when posting.

As far as my "cryptic" comment, a lot of replies here make assumptions that everyone knows what the author is talking about. It can take a lot of time and searching to get the answer for those of us who don't know. Sometimes the answer can't be found. On the other hand, I hate to ask questions that have been answered before.

taredog 08-09-2009 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 120198)
...from what I'm hearing from you (taredog) and Ricketts, it's sounding like a case of "GOOD, BAD & UGLY"...meaning, yes it works (sometimes), but not easily (compared with SGII) and has problems.

...a blunt question: do you think it was 'worth' $100? The Auto Meter 9100 ecometer cost me about $75 (cost+s/h), but I'd say (to me) it's probably really only WORTH about $50 because of the short-comings I've encountered. What's your take on the Maxi-Trip?

Now that I am over my whining about losing yet another reply, time to get back on topic.

I have only owned the maxitrip for a little over a week. Based on what I have found out about the SGII it sounds like they are not really the same animal. Close but SG appears to have a lot more features. If I had never heard of the scanguage I probably would be satisfied with maxitrip for $100.

It is plug and play except for a few calibrations. It would be nice to be able to customize the displays more. I am disappointed in the fact it will not do “current trip MPG average” (average since the vehicle was last started) as I think for me that would be valuable. In the “trip today” (since the clock registered mid night) mode it will not display current MPG but does display average MPG since mid night.

In the “gauge” function area you cannot display any FE info which I would like to see along with TPS and LOD.

I have not tried the USB function other than to plug it in and seeing if the software that comes with it will recognize it is there. I have yet to plug it in to a lap top while it is hooked up to the OBD port. Maybe Ricketts has done more with that?

I have not experienced the heat problem again, but it's only been a week and I have only used it to/from work. In the cool of the morning it's only in the low 90s in the garage and the sun isn't even up yet. In the afternoon the truck has been parked under a canopy all day with the windows down about ½ inch so it isn't all that hot inside, probably not over 120/125.. Nice to have the covered parking perk and a secured parking area!

If I were experiencing Rickett's problems with the lock up I would definitely say no way on the maxitrip. I am inclined to say to spend $30 US more and buy a scan gauge through JC Whitney. A lot more is known about it.

As far as the “current MPG” reading not going to max when coasting in drive, I am not sure my truck's fuel injectors do shut off. That needs more research. Maybe a 60 mile road trip to Sunset Point. Coming back down Black Canyon with it's 10 mile 1500 foot elevation change oughta tell me if the maxitrip will ever read 9999.