EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   McCain mocks Obama about Tire Inflation (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mccain-mocks-obama-about-tire-inflation-4342.html)

mush3gan 08-04-2008 03:56 PM

McCain mocks Obama about Tire Inflation

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - McCain camp mocks Obama’s comment on inflated tires « - Blogs from CNN.com

everyone here should know that this is a real gas-saver. booooo for those who are making it seem like a joke!

elhigh 08-04-2008 04:40 PM

I don't give Obama much political credence - he's a frosh congressman, he doesn't bring much in the way of experience to the party and only recently has he started talking in concrete terms beyond just "Hope" and "Change."

But it's a pragmatic statement. Check your tire pressure. Sure, laugh it off, but go check it anyway. We'll wait.

It was HOW far off? Wow. Pumped them up, right? Good. Okay, now drive a few tankfuls. We'll wait.

Hey, went farther between fillups, didn't it? Yeah, thought so.

So, McCain should keep his mockery to himself. It can't be said enough to check tire pressure, because so many people simply don't take it seriously. I'm saying it here, folks: CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE! If a bunch of nutjobs all geeky over fuel mileage keep a religious tab on their tire pressure, then you can be damned sure that having it right makes a difference.

My tire pressure is 44 pounds all around. Checked it this morning.

johnhummel 08-04-2008 04:48 PM

Hm - drilling in Anwar by 2020: 680,000 barrels of oil a day

Barrels saved if *everyone* adjusted their tire pressure: Around 800,000 barrels a day *now*.

Looks like even political blogs are weighing in, and saying that "Yeah, just pressuring your tires isn't enough - but it's a damn good start":

Do You Have the Energy For This? - Swampland - TIME

ATaylorRacing 08-04-2008 05:26 PM

The way I heard it is that if we kept our tires inflated and our cars tunned up we would not need to drill for oil.....baloney!

I still remember when he said that he had just visited 57 states and still had one more to go!

johnhummel 08-04-2008 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATaylorRacing (Post 50855)
The way I heard it is that if we kept our tires inflated and our cars tunned up we would not need to drill for oil.....baloney!

I still remember when he said that he had just visited 57 states and still had one more to go!

Rather than go by "the way you heard it", how about if we actually pay attention to what the guy said.

Tire inflation *alone* would make the "let's drill Anwar" argument moot. Increasing hybrids and mandating plug-in hybrids would reduce the need to drill oil even further. Increasing the solar, wind, geo in combination with plug-in hybrid would reduce that need even further.

I don't think either McCain or Obama propose one thing to be the solution to all things - but let's face it, *everyone* doing a simple, small thing like driving better, inflating the tires, having a tuned engine would go a hell of a lot further than complaining about the high price of oil.

getnpsi 08-04-2008 07:17 PM

Oil companies can't sell air, rebublicans cant tax air, so they won't admit that extra inflation helps.

Frank Lee 08-04-2008 07:18 PM

I'm not going to complain. If gas went from $4 to $10/gal. it would cost me an extra $150 per month. I can handle it. In fact I welcome it.

getnpsi 08-04-2008 07:28 PM

If fuel prices went up, that is not the only thing that increases. Any business that has product/materials delivered can tell you that.

getnpsi 08-04-2008 07:33 PM

Are the kids still ghost ridin' their whips? Could'a coasted another house or two fo' sho'!

If you de-nerd things more listen.

Frank Lee 08-04-2008 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getnpsi (Post 50883)
If fuel prices went up, that is not the only thing that increases. Any business that has product/materials delivered can tell you that.

Yeah, that's fine. I hardly buy anything anyway.

My biggest expense, even though it really isn't that big, is gasoline. Then food, property taxes, and utilities.