EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   McLaren Is Using Fighter Jet Technology for Wiper-free Windshields (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mclaren-using-fighter-jet-technology-wiper-free-windshields-27774.html)

Cobb 12-16-2013 05:42 PM

McLaren Is Using Fighter Jet Technology for Wiper-free Windshields

aerohead 12-16-2013 05:53 PM

rubberless driving

Hope it's fail-safe.:p

oldtamiyaphile 12-16-2013 07:07 PM

Don't most countries (including the UK) require a 'swept area'? I don't this is techincally legal.

Superfuelgero 12-16-2013 10:20 PM

In most USA states, its a "device for clearing the windshield, operable from the passenger compartment". On my formula vee that I had road legal, they accepted a dish rag since I could reach over the wind screen and wipe the whole thing.

whostean 12-17-2013 12:48 AM

Can I just crank up the bass and make the whole car rattle? lol

:thumbup:

markweatherill 12-17-2013 03:06 AM

An ultrasonic system? Perhaps every McLaren fitted with this system will be pursued by a pack of dogs down the road.

But in the UK at least, I am sure there will have to be a mechanical wiper as well, to satisfy legislation. If this ever becomes reality for road cars, that is.

arcosine 12-17-2013 08:25 AM

It looks like the water is sticking to the window in the picture. It repels, but will it clean a dirty window after you park under a tree, how about frost and ice? A jet fighter goes hundreds of miles per hour, the wind pushes most of it off. iI probably works for light conditions instead of having the wipers on intermittent.

elhigh 12-17-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markweatherill (Post 403254)
An ultrasonic system? Perhaps every McLaren fitted with this system will be pursued by a pack of dogs down the road.

But in the UK at least, I am sure there will have to be a mechanical wiper as well, to satisfy legislation. If this ever becomes reality for road cars, that is.

Infrasonic. It'll be pursued by a pack of elephants or, along the coast, whales.

spacemanspif 12-17-2013 10:33 AM

Sounds like super Rain-X that never wears off the windshield. Neat idea, but will the window shatter when it -30*F? Or are windows going to have be made out of lexan or other type of plastic? When sitting still in the rain with a fresh Rain-x'd windshield the rain does fall off quite nicely but most people I know have trouble with "focusing beyond the raindrops" and would quickly crash if they didn't have wipers sweeping away 3 spots of rain every 10 seconds :rolleyes:

The sonic windshield would probably work better than rain-x at high speeds though, but the aero of the cars would have be reconsidered to ensure the water sweeps away quickly to maintain clear visibility. More raked windshield (water over the car) or more vertical with more curvature (water swept to side)?

We should all be jumping for joy, adapter kits won't be too far out and we can all buy them to make out wiper delete mods less "crazy"!!!

Cobb 12-17-2013 06:04 PM