Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Lightbulb Toyota CHR hybrid MODS

Dear folks
I am new here and I would like to ask you if anyone have Toyota CHR hybrid 1.8L ???
I would like to know if someone done any eco modder specifications to his ar and if it as worth it ?
1)I thought about putting smaller rims now its 18inch (The easiest mod)! to 16 inch and more like smooth than sportier!
2) Remove the big spoiler from the back not sure this will make better aerodynamics in big speeds?!
3) Change the sparkplugs to a irridium ones .

Do you think is gonna help the mileage of the car and economy?
But big influence not just 0.1L/100KM?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
The C-HR Hybrid isn't available in the US, where most of us are, unfortunately.

I would be hesitant to remove the spoiler; it's almost certainly there to reduce drag and rear lift. Most of it is slotted:

...probably to duct air over the rear window where it would otherwise have detached.

16" wheels are probably a good choice, especially if the wheels and/or tires are lighter--the 16" aren't even available in America.

It's probably already got iridium spark plugs (not an ecomod anyway, unless you consider longer spark plug life).

Does the C-HR Hybrid have the automatic grill shutters found on the Prius? If not, you can probably block some of the grill area.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
My 2 cents:

-Raising tire pressure is almost always low hanging fruit.

-Change your driving habits. Drive more slowly on the highway and minimize your speed changes in town. See the Driver's Ed section for details.

-Going with smaller wheels will probably improve ride quality (and offset some lost with higher tire pressure). You may get a small but noticeable improvement in acceleration, and fuel economy might improve a very small amount. However, the wheels are unlikely to ever pay for themselves.

-You'll not gain anything by changing spark plugs, Toyota likely already optimized them.

-I wouldn't touch the spoiler.

The CH-R is a shoe. It's not an aerodynamic vehicle at all. Chances are good you'll see the largest improvements by simply driving more slowly since aerodynamic drag goes up exponentially with speed and you're not starting at a good baseline anyway. You may also consider some things like improved underbody paneling (it's probably not half bad from the factory), smooth wheel covers, mirror deletes, a partial grille block, prewarming (e.g. block and oil pan heaters).
Old 05-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Engine-Off-Coast

Red 2000 Insight (2017 through 2019) - '00 Honda Insight 5MT
90 day: 64.72 mpg (US)

Red 2000 Lithium Insight (2020) - '00 Honda Insight LTO
90 day: 71.76 mpg (US)
Sell it and buy a 2019 Insight lololol CHR is definitely not an eco-car
Old 11-18-2019, 05:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
just joined..

Civic - '15 Honda Civic Tourer SR
As above, i'd leave the rear spoiler in place personally.

Wheels - get the lightest you can afford. On my civic i have some rays (forged) wheels that are significantly lighter than the factory heavy cast rims. Bought them used so not that expensive.

If you're swapping wheels, then consider also getting low rolling resistance tyres. My pirelli p7 "blue" are A rated for roll = less fuel used.

Also, as above, pump them up - you can go a bit higher than the factory recommended levels (stay within the tyre limits though) ride suffers a little, but economy goes up.

For some reason Toyota marketing folks think that folks all want a high riding 4x4 looking vehicle, so the CHR like many other sits really high. check out if you can get some lowering springs (eibach?) to reduce ride height - this not only helps your mpg but also looks cool

Other than that ^ your driving style will be biggest impact on fuel economy - lots of good eco driving tip on the wiki in this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikazi View Post
Do you think is gonna help the mileage of the car and economy?
But big influence not just 0.1L/100KM?
To give you an idea, with the light wheels, lowered ride height and low rolling resistance tyres added to my civic i saw about 5-10% improvement in MPG. If there were any easy things to do that gave you a big improvement then toyota would have done them already biggest impact you can make is your driving style.

Last edited by rob.e; 11-18-2019 at 05:23 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rob.e For This Useful Post:
Cd (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Welcome !
As an SUV, I really like the styling Toyota has done on your vehicle.
I have seen a few recently in my apartments, but thought they were a Honda.
I even searched through the latest SUVs Honda has to find it.
I was curious about the vehicles Cd, since I was seeing several features, such as the raked rear glass, as well as air curtains.
It was only when I really took a look at it that I saw it was a Toyota.
After looking online, I see that the standard version of your vehicle comes in at .34, and the vehicle is apparently a Prius with an SUV body.
It has the same internals.

The Hybrid version comes in at a fairly impressive .32 drag coefficient.

I think Toyota has done quite a bit of work tweaking the aerodynamics of the vehicle. Removing the spoiler will most likely be worse for drag and also ruin the looks of your vehicle. ( You will have exposed bolt holes and such )
A really easy way to see what is happening back there is to tuft test the rear window.
You are in luck, since you will not need a chase vehicle to see what the tufts are doing.
( all you have to do is look in your rear view mirror at the rear window )
Since the vehicle is an SUV, it is larger and taller than a car.
One modification that will almost certainly lower drag is to lower the vehicle itself.
The modification is reversible too, but you may actually like the look as well !

Other than this modification, your main source of improving your fuel economy is to change your driving style.
There are videos on this site on how to correctly drive a hybrid to maximize fuel economy.
( Your vehicle is a Prius underneath after all )

And as others have mentioned, smaller tires without offroad tread that are aired up to max sidewall pressure will also help the fuel economy.

Good luck !

EDIT : I just noticed the post above me is saying the exact same thing ! ( i didn't read all the posts )

Last edited by Cd; 11-01-2020 at 09:21 AM.. Reason: I didn't read the other replies.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Weight makes no difference to fuel economy if you're a hypermiler. Doubly so if you have a hybrid where a portion of your kinetic energy goes back into the battery. I've driven 60K in my vans and there's really no correlation between payload and fuel economy. More weight just means I glide longer. In a hybrid, more weight means more energy goes back into the battery.

At best, the payback will be measured in decades.

Smaller wheels will likely help, but it will be due to aerodynamics and lower rolling res.

Old 11-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Unless you were considering a switch to 16" wheels with some taller-profile tyres I'd take changing the tyres diameter with a grain of salt, even though narrower ones may benefit overall efficiency. A smaller diameter ends up having a similar effect to switching to lower differential ratio, which may eventually be OK for city and hills but would be a bad idea for highway.

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
chr, ecomodifications, hybrid, suv