Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

digglesauce's '97 Del Sol Si Build :)

Hello modders! Long time lurker, first time poster. I figure I would jump right in and start a build thread. I never really thought I would be going into this kind of modding but I guess we all evolve. I’ve been modding vehicles for horsepower for the last 12 years or so but never for gas mileage. I had a 1997 Civic HX growing up but the boy racer thought it would be a good idea to make it fast. Hindsight being what it is, I should have started there with ecomodding. Either way, here’s the story behind this car.

It was my brother-in-law’s car before I got ahold of it and it was in rough shape. There was a front triangle window missing, the hole covered in duct tape. There was duct tape holding the front right headlight on. The drivers inside door handle was missing. The exhaust had rusted the cat pipe completely apart. The blower motor squealed from all the water intrusion common in these cars. Rough stuff.
I first saw it when I did a tune up for him including plugs, wires, cap, rotor, oil. His parents bought him a new set of tires around the same time. Less than 500 miles later, he buys a new car and I buy the Del Sol off him for $500. Knowing that I just did $200 worth of work and there was $300 of new tire on the thing, I couldn’t pass it up.
I got to work right away fixing the big things; buying new headlights, covering the hole with kydex instead of duct tape, etc. Soon it was running like a champ. Mechanically she was sound. Having only 97k miles was nice to see on the odo. I started driving her long distances and I found if I didn’t have my A/C on and drove through the back roads instead of the highway, I could get around 38 MPG. I think this was the beginning of me falling for her. I’ve always thought the Del Sol was hideous but she grew on me. A few months after I bought her, she got a set of Ground Control coilovers (Koni adjustables, Eibach springs, GC upper mounts and bump stops). This lowered her a few inches and I think I caught some MPGs just from that!

Since then, I’ve replaced some suspension parts as they wear, some brake parts as they go.

I’ve gone up to the max sidewall pressure (no noticeable difference in gas mileage) as well. I’ve tracked the gas mileage since I’ve owned through aCar. Is Torque Pro and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle good enough to do ABA’s?

Current car specs/mods:
The motor is the factory ’97 Del Sol Si D16Y8 pushing an advertised 127hp and 107tq. I have no plans on adding power. I do have the 4AT unfortunately. She has been decent, getting a max 41MPG and min 26MPG since I’ve owned her. She is lowered quite a bit, I haven’t measured. It has NOT been aligned yet. I’m waiting to get some wheels and tires before that happens.

Goals:
As far as future mods go, the next one will be a power to manual steering conversion, saving me 22 lbs in the front and some engine load. After that, 15” Enkei RPF1’s and LRR tires to replace the 13” steelies with the “new” tires that 2 have lost their balance and one possibly having a snapped steel belt. Following that, a new front bumper that’s not trashed out.

This will immediately get blocked and what appears to be brake cooling inlets will be ducted to the radiator instead. I was thinking about the auto louvers that the other Del Sol owner had done but this would be much simpler. After that, I’ll build a frame and belly pan the whole thing with aluminum for the hot parts and .125 kydex for the cold parts. The road noise is horrific so I’ll take a break from MPG parts and add 20lbs of sound deadener from SDS. Along the way, the fenders will be replaced and wrapped.

What's your opinion on *properly aligned* LED headlights? Worth any MPG?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-05-2018, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
Nice setup! If you don't already have the Enkeis, stock VX rims (9.7lbs) or HX rims (11lbs) are quite inexpensive and don't look bad. Swapping the stock alloys on my Civic with lighter HX rims and slightly narrower tires gave me 2-3 MPG.

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-09-2018)
Old 12-09-2018, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Welcome and good luck!
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Subscribed!

I added some high-end LEDs to my girlfriend's Fit. The cutoff is more vague than with halogens, presumably (as pointed out in another thread) due to halogens having a very small filament VS LEDs having a much wider area producing the light. It's not terrible, but neither is it ideal. Most of her driving is on country roads at night and they're definitely brighter.

HIDs in projectors would have both better cutoff and be brighter than even the best LEDs, but 35w don't save as much power as one would expect due to the ballasts being rather lossy. A forum member here showed that (I believe) 35w were closer to 55w after all of the conversion losses.

EDIT: So far as fuel economy goes, it's a drop in the bucket. 1HP is ~746 watts. 35w LEDs might only be around 10w per side with low beams on, but a savings of ~35w total would then be worth only 1/20 of 1HP. If you need ~20HP to cruise on the highway that's a savings of a grand total of a quarter of a percent, or roughly 38mpg -> 38.01mpg - a hundredth of a mile per gallon.

It all adds up, of course. I have LEDs in most every other socket in my car.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
So far as fuel economy goes, it's a drop in the bucket. 1HP is ~746 watts. 35w LEDs might only be around 10w per side with low beams on, but a savings of ~35w total would then be worth only 1/20 of 1HP. If you need ~20HP to cruise on the highway that's a savings of a grand total of a quarter of a percent, or roughly 38mpg -> 38.01mpg - a hundredth of a mile per gallon.

It all adds up, of course. I have LEDs in most every other socket in my car.
So the LED bulbs I got were a savings of 20w total over stock. I am assuming that is without the draw of the fans mounted behind. I ended up going with LIGHTENING DARK brand off the suggestion of a youtube review of 10 different brands. This brand was 172% brighter than stock (which was super anemic) and the cutoff was close to factory. I adjusted my headlight height accordingly so I don't blind people and they are much better than factory!

As far as other LED bulbs, here are the numbers.
Del Sol full LED replacement list
backup light- 1156
turn signal rear- 1156
brake light- 2057r
tail light- 2057r
turn signal front- 3496
dome light- de3022
trunk light- de3021
instrument panel, ash tray, shifter light- 2721
side marker rear- 168

I removed my power steering belt because the pump was making some awful noises. There won't be an ABA available for that. I'll just have to use long term gas mileage for comparison. I know I'll get something out of it though. That will have to do until I purchase the manual rack and pinion. FYI the manual rack and pinion has a lock-to-lock of 3.88 vs the power rack and pinion with 3 turns lock-to-lock.
The Following User Says Thank You to digglesauce For This Useful Post:
Ecky (12-11-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
I believe looping the PS hoses and bypassing the pump should lighten your steering considerably.

My old Del Sol:

The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-11-2018)
Old 12-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
They need crash wrap: https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post470582

Reply  Post New Thread