EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Metro Hoarding 101 - also: Metro pickup trucks! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/metro-hoarding-101-also-metro-pickup-trucks-913.html)

Cowspots 02-04-2008 10:06 PM

Metro Hoarding 101 - also: Metro pickup trucks!

Hi Y'all,

I'll try to keep this intro short and sweet. I just discovered your site while looking at ways to improve my 1990 Metro's MPG. I have several of these little buggers and plan to fix them up and sell most of them when gas hits $4.00/gallon. Yes, that is my evil plan. :eek:

If you have any fuel economy ideas for my Metros & Swifts that won't compromise safety or longevity, please pass them on my way. After two knee surgeries, I prefer automatic transmissions (which EAT GAS :o), but a stick is OK for long trips. Thanks.

Here is the list:
1990 Metro 2Dr 3-Cyl/5-spd no A/C
1989 Swift GTI DOHC 1.3/5-spd (Retired Race Car - restoring to street)
1989 Swift GTI DOHC 1.3/Auto (Retired OK Unmarked Police Vehicle)
1989 Swift GTI DOHC 1.3/Auto (Parts Car w/9,500 original miles)
1990 Swift GT converted from 1.3 SOHC to DOHC 1.3/5-spd
1992 Metro Convertible 3cyl/Auto A/C (Summertime Cruiser)
1998 Metro 4Dr 1.3 SOHC/Auto A/C (Daily Driver)

I'll be seeing you, :cool:
Cowspots

SVOboy 02-04-2008 10:09 PM

Welcome to the site! Quite a collection you've got there, :)

DifferentPointofView 02-04-2008 10:17 PM

Interested in selling any of those now :D" cause I'd love to take that 90' metro 2 door off your hands. Welcome to the site! also, don't forget to put your daily driver and cruiser on the EM garage!

MetroMPG 02-04-2008 10:40 PM

Hi Cowspots - welcome.

Some people collect beanie babies... other people, well... :)

Have a good look around the forum, you'll find some good tips. I suspect many of the things you find people doing here you wouldn't do to a car that you were going to try selling, but for your daily driver, it may be another story.

Buy low, sell high!

Darin

Coyote X 02-04-2008 10:54 PM

heh someone on here that has more metros than me :)

I only have 4 left, one I gave away, and one I cut up and put on a shelf for spare parts. I have $250 in the 5 extra metros I have found not counting the xfi model I drive.

I say mod them for max mpg and sell them to people who appreciate driving a weird looking car. :thumbup:

Cowspots 02-04-2008 11:24 PM

Pinching pennies until they SCREAM!

:)Thanks Y'all!

I do plan to mod the '90 Metro 2dr. Originally I bought it as a body donor for the parts GTi. The 3-cyl engine was shot. I pulled the drivetrain and am building a smooth 3-cyl for it now. I'll make that my work commuter car and sell my 4Dr Metro. I want 50mpg!

Gee, I sure miss that '02 Jetta TDI that I had - 48mpg in luxury and comfort. I was thinking of new valves, a high-torque/low RPM cam and the 3.51:1 trans from a 1.3L SOHC. I have three spare trannys, so I am off to count differential gear teeth in a week when I get back from FL. Next will be weight reduction and aerodynamics like an aluminum belly pan and some moon disk hubcaps.

I'll keep you posted,...
Cowspots

NoCO2 02-04-2008 11:28 PM

I would love to get either that 2 door metro of one of the '89-'90 swifts off your hands if you're willing to part with it for cheap. I am looking to make a bare bones (wheels, engine, steering-wheel) type car that gets really good gas millage to get me around the city here and I like the styling of the swifts more so then the metros but I can't find swifts for sale anywhere around my area.

AndrewJ 02-04-2008 11:28 PM

Awesome, that the best hoarding I've seen in a while.

Doofus McFancypants 02-05-2008 07:14 PM

Anyone have a "Spare Metro" in the ATL Area?
not "Officially looking" but i am willing to help a brotha out.
: )

Coyote X 02-05-2008 09:45 PM

Finding a cheap metro is not that hard, they are everywhere. Just start looking in back yards and stuff while you are driving around. All of them I have found so far have been from seeing it parked in a yard with a dead plate/no plate and stopping and asking the people about it. Probably about 25% of the time you can get it for either free or very cheap. Come back every 6 months or so and keep asking :)

Just be prepared to do something with it right then if it is free, even if it is just clean it up and move it to near the road. If you leave it and come back later the free metro you got might have either became expensive or they decide not to let you have it. So if you put some sort of effort into it they probably wont change their mind. If possible bring a buddy in a truck with chains and spare tires/pumps so you can take it away right when you ask about it.

I have found lots of good deals on atvs/motorcycles, c band sat dishes, cars, and lots of other junk by just looking around while I am driving and stopping and asking about whatever it was.

btw I know where a 01 metro 4 cyl auto sedan with a bad rod bearing is near me, guy is asking $400 but I know he would take less. Be a good car for a 3 cyl/5spd swap. Be a long trip to haul it home from WV though...

NoCO2 02-05-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doofus McFancypants (Post 8401)
Anyone have a "Spare Metro" in the ATL Area?
not "Officially looking" but i am willing to help a brotha out.
: )

I'm in the ATL area as well, let me know if you find some I would be interested as well :)

Cowspots 02-05-2008 11:21 PM

I have a truck and trailer always on hand,...

Coyote X,

I was in WV while driving to PA to pick up an engine & trans that I won on eBay for $37.50 three months ago. I lived in Pakersburg, WV for 6 years. That is a bit far, but I could be pursuaded. I drove from KY to MI, NY and OK for three GTi's. How bad is the rust and the interior? What is the ZIP code?

I have a truck and trailer always on hand,... :thumbup: I'll take your advice and keep my eyes peeled. I scored an '87 Bronco II for $176 and a '92 Ranger Supercab for $300 by being ready with cash and a trailer.

I'm more looking for economy now than for performance.

THX,

Cowspots

Coyote X 02-05-2008 11:29 PM

I'll ask the guy this weekend where the car is and get some pics and some details if you are interested. I bet he would take 200 cash for it but if it isn't in really good shape other than a bad motor I don't think it would be worth it.

dissimilation 02-13-2008 10:19 AM

I've got three, and thought I was overstocked. For quite some time through 98-04 I had my eye on getting a first series metro 4 door hatch and cutting the window from the back hatch and cutting the roof to move the rear window forward to right behind the front seats. Basically, making a geo metro mini pickup. This could be done with a 2 door hatchback as well. Maybe that's too wild an idea, but just putting it out there.

MetroMPG 02-13-2008 10:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like... this?

http://forum.ecomodder.com/attachmen...1&d=1202916830

Or.... this? :D

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81...fresh/52_1.jpg

metroschultz 02-13-2008 11:16 AM

Geozilla (tm)

Or this?

http://www.palmettofurnishings.com/f...les/IMG_12.jpg

http://www.palmettofurnishings.com/flatart/default.htm

I saw this one day and wondered if it saved weight and could be used to increase FE.
Pretty cool though.
S.

MetroMPG 02-13-2008 11:23 AM

Woo! Great find. :)

Might save weight, but the aerodynamics would be awful. However, with a mini "aero shell" bed cap, like bondo's or aerohead's, it would be slicker than the hatchback it was made from!

dissimilation 02-13-2008 11:58 AM

Had no idea, thanks for the finds. Looks even cooler than I imagined.

Ryland 02-13-2008 02:49 PM

I was thinking of you pulled the rear hatch off a CRX and replaced the glass with lexan, you would be doing great with one of those little metro/pickups.

bennelson 02-14-2008 12:15 AM

Don't forget about the Geo-Cow!

http://web.mac.com/benhdvideoguy/iWe...0cow%20car.jpg

My friends and I talked pretty seriously about converting it to a convertable or mini-pickup truck.

Cowspots 03-18-2008 02:28 PM

My first aerodynamic improvements!

Hi Y'all!

I finally got my password reset. Now on with this update - Economy Mods:

1) Purchased 175/65R14 rims & tires for my '90 Metro 2dr/3cyl that had 12".

2) Took inventory of my transmissions & will swap F/D ratio to 3.79.

3) Purchased 14" moon disk stainless steel hubcaps.

Plans:

1) Reduce weight of car w/thin aluminum sheet panels to replace door panels.

2) Lightly rebuild 3-cyl. engine and install XFi spec (reground?) camshaft.

3) Add lightweight aluminum sheeting to improve aerodynamics under the car.

4) Switch to lighter weight oils: Engine 5W20 Syn. & Trans lower weight syn.

I'll keep you posted!
Cowspots

H4MM3R 03-18-2008 04:19 PM

Cool. Looking forward to following this.

Cowspots 03-23-2008 02:21 PM

Victim preparation - my first AeroMetro.

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all,
This thread should be moved out of introductions, don't you think?

More pics & my Metro project is rolling along. Literally, but with a slight setback.

I brought my rust free Metro 2dr home and began stripping it. On the way home I discovered that somebody, maybe me, left the hood unsecured and you guessed it WHAP! I now need a Metro hood. I guess that I could borrow my '92 Vert's hood for a few days. ;)

I remembered that I had some aerodynamic plastic headlights stored at the old farm house. I have to go swap doors with my '91 Swift GT that has shaved handles and I will fabricate some low drag mirrors next week. I picked up a clutch kit and am sorting transmissions today, yes on Easter. Now that it is in my garage, I'll start the body work, then get on with the engine rebuild next week. The body work is minimal, thank goodness.

It looks like I will have to invest in a MIG welder VERY SOON to install the lower radiator support.

Cowspots

Cowspots 03-23-2008 04:53 PM

A tale of two trannys,...

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all,

I'm suddenly at a screeching halt: :confused:
My two spare (complete) transmissions are US GTi & have a 4.10 F/D. I noticed there are minor differences in the transmission mounts here between Metro & GTi. I researched the final drive ratios and see that is not what I am looking for. I may hold out for a '98+ Metro 1.3L 5-speed. Anybody have a spare trans or a set of 3.523 F/D gears that I can swap into my Metro trans?

Thanks.

Cowspots

Cowspots 03-29-2008 08:42 PM

Fuel Sipper Project

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all,

I still am looking for a 1.3L Metro 5-speed transmission, hint hint. ;)

The body work is going well and I decided to rent a MIG welder next weekend to tidy up the body a bit. The rear seat comes out tomorrow and the donor doors with shaved handles get picked up from the barn. I hope to tear down the engine or what's left of it. I'd prefer a good used 21hp Kubota 3-cyl. Turbo Diesel at this point.

My project is slow and my budget is spartan at present due to a sore back last week, but it is rolling again. Here are today's pics.

Time for rest now, then some fun later. :D
Cowspots

Cowspots 04-14-2008 01:53 PM

Custom underdrive pulley fabrication completed

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Y'all!

The fabrication is complete on my Super-Underdrive Metro crankshaft pulley.

I made it myself with a little help from a machinist that knew where the lathe tooling was hidden. Saturday it was just a scrap piece of 3" round 6061-T6. The OD is 71mm and my alternator pulley is 60mm. It will only allow the alternator to really make a charge above 1300 engine rpm. I'll change out the dash, cluster & column to a '92 vert with a tach. I plan on using a very lightweight & powerful little battery.

If I don't find a Metro 3.523:1 trans soon, I'll have to build one myself. Lots of work though. I wonder what those F/D gears actually cost? I wonder what else could be made to fit? Argh, chest pains, gotta go. :confused:

Here are the photos.

Later,
Cowspots

bennelson 04-14-2008 02:27 PM

Cowspots,

Where are you located?

I have had a lead lately on some Metro parts. Might be able to find something. Mostly a manual transmission you are looking for, right?

Cowspots 04-14-2008 07:22 PM

Ben Nelson,

I am located in Bardstown, KY, USA 40004

My next pulley will be for my Vert. It will be slightly larger, have a timing cover seal and A/C capability. Any more that I make will be reinforced inside where the bolts mount. I just need a 4" long by 4" round piece of aluminum.

C-Ya'
Cowspots

Cowspots 04-14-2008 07:26 PM

Parts? Yippie!

Ben Nelson,

Thank you! I am always looking for Metro parts.

Specifically, a manual transmission from a '95 up 1.3L SOHC w/3.523:1 F/D and a hood for an '89-94.

Thanks!
Cowspots