EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Mg midget mk4 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mg-midget-mk4-23197.html)

muffildy 09-05-2012 07:22 PM

Mg midget mk4

I was wondering if any of you happen to know of a windshield that will fit the mg midget mk4 that isnt quite so vertical; i think the main reason its drag coefficient is so terrible is the windshield.

The mk4 is listed as 55 in wide; so the problem is that a majority of cars are wider then it, and the ones i found that are narrower dont look very aerodynamic.

aerohead 09-06-2012 06:58 PM

4-season?

Quote:

Originally Posted by muffildy (Post 326095)
I was wondering if any of you happen to know of a windshield that will fit the mg midget mk4 that isnt quite so vertical; i think the main reason its drag coefficient is so terrible is the windshield.

The mk4 is listed as 55 in wide; so the problem is that a majority of cars are wider then it, and the ones i found that are narrower dont look very aerodynamic.

If you didn't drive the car year round,you could remove the windshield and convert to a spider,with a plex half-bubble in front of just you.You'd be required to wear eye protection as with a motorcycle,and you'd have no wipers.She'd be for fare weather only.
Combined with a head fairing,you could recover some of your fuel.Look at early racing Porsche 356s.

ron 09-06-2012 09:26 PM

you might try the 63-67 nissan fairlady they had an aero ish windshield and frame that was removable with 4 bolts I dont know if it will fit ,but its a starting point

Beau 09-06-2012 10:32 PM

Have you measured a Miata?

Varn 09-06-2012 11:18 PM

Although the CD might not be ideal the CDA is probably good. It has to have one of the smallest frontal areas of any car on the road. The seating position is very low. Make a hard top for it and enjoy.

muffildy 09-07-2012 03:12 AM

yes

the fairlady looks like its a bit too wide by 2 inches.
the miata is definatly too wide as well.
wonder if ill have to cut the glass to size.

freebeard 09-07-2012 05:19 AM

SuperBeetle backlight, 36" wide, with an aluminum extrusion frame.

Otherwise, what aerohead said.

aerohead 09-07-2012 11:47 PM

backlight

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 326418)
SuperBeetle backlight, 36" wide, with an aluminum extrusion frame.

Otherwise, what aerohead said.

The backlight will be safety glass,but not laminated safety glass.If it gets caught during an annual safety inspection they'll red flag it,as it won't be DOT certified as a windshield.That would really suck after going to all the trouble.
We can't even run this sort of thing at Bonneville.Rats!
How wide is the new VW 1-liter car's windshield? If it goes to production it will be laminated.It's very narrow and very low drag.

freebeard 09-08-2012 04:57 AM

Quote:

Rats!
I agree.

On the other hand I live in a state where I've owned vehicles for 50 years and I've never been subjected to a safety or emissions inspection (discounting roadside stops).

Varn 09-08-2012 07:33 AM

If it must be more swoopy then tip the stock unit back more.