Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LegoWagn - '97 Subaru Legacy Outback
Hello everyone :)

New to the forum, not the first time I've stumbled across it though

Just picked up a 97 Legacy Outback wagon a few weeks back that I'd like to mod for mpg. Has 312700 miles and counting, and still runs like a champ. Can't complain with a well running, driving Subaru for $1000. Was a very well maintained car (re: dealer serviced for all but the last 2 years), and is all highway miles. Its a 2.5l H4 with a 4 speed auto AWD tranny. Wasn't exactly my first choice of vehicles (sold my SVX for this ), but at least its another Subie. I'd have rather had the 2.2l, but beggars can't be choosers, eh?

Currently seeing about 23 mpg combined and an estimated 28-30 highway, however highway miles aren't quite pinned down yet as I haven't had the chance to run an all highway trip. Needs a few small repairs and a bit of maintenance done (new wheel bearing, new control arm bushings). But for the price I couldn't complain Already started the basic maintenance (oil, plugs, etc). Soon to be onto the ecomodding :thumbsup:

Now, the goal is to see 28 combined and 35 highway mpg at least. To accomplish this, I have a feeling I'll be needing your help

Reasons for wanting to improve the MPG? Outside of the obvious reason (fluctuating prices and me being a college student with a disability that can't really afford gas in the first place), I plan to use the vehicle for weekend camping/festivals. I also want it to be an efficient and fuel saving bug out vehicle in case SHTF. Hence the reason I went with an AWD vehicle (considering they really aren't the most fuel efficient options, however Subaru's seem to be the best AWD when it comes to mpg).

I plan to post a over the next few days with more details in regards to what I have done/plan to do, and would like to, and could definitely use some insight/input from everyone

Thanks in advance!

-b

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! Sounds like a good ride for the money. As bad as the fuel prices are for everybody right now, in the last couple of days, here in the NW we are getting ripped off for $1.00 more per gallon than the rest of the country.

I'm sure glad I've gone for fuel mileage vehicles the last several years!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
97LegoBackWagn (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LegoWagn - '97 Subaru Legacy Outback
Good to be here Granted, I know that being an AWD vehicle, its not the best for gas mileage. But Subaru's really do seem to be the top choice and best in mpg when it comes to AWD (not to mention the reliability of them, which I think with the mileage on the car has been proven ), so I'm excited to see what I can pull out of this car

Planning to get my mom to sign up as well for the board, she has an 06 Insight that she regularly sees close to 50 mpg with, however I think she could do better with the tips shared here

Really looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit better, and can't wait to see what kind of help and ideas you guys have to offer :thumbsup:

Its a shame that you guys are paying so much more than the rest of the country. Especially considering I am planning to move to Ashland, OR in the near future to resume my education at SOU...its 3.35/gal here the last I checked, and from what I saw on gasbuddy.com for Medford/Ashland area, its 4.05/gal

-b

Reply  Post New Thread