EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Mod and Hypermile suggestions? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mod-hypermile-suggestions-17713.html)

SewbDude 06-05-2011 11:07 PM

Mod and Hypermile suggestions?

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy Wagon L and generally get pretty good mileage for the car (i.e. 30 to 32 mpg). I would like to improve this even further (hopefully close to 40mpg, ha). The following is what I have done to improve mileage. I also use a ScanGauge to track mileage.

-Basic Hypermiling
~Strong use of cruise control
~A lot of coasting
~Slow accelerations
~Reduction of stops
-Removed rear mud flaps (which were cracked and old)
-Tires properly inflated to 44psi
-Major rust holes in body have been removed and filled with fiber glass
-Never use AC
-Roll down windows at stops and use vented air while driving
-Remove unnecessary weight
-Replaced broken fog lights with dense foam for less weight and better wind resistance (similar to grill block)

What other things might I try to improve my mpg?

Joenavy85 06-05-2011 11:35 PM

-Basic Hypermiling
~Strong use of cruise control
only on relatively flat roads, up hill take it off of cruise and hold a constant throttle position.

~A lot of coasting
Sometimes it's better to engine brake, if braking slows you enough that the light changes before you get there thus preventing you from accelerating from a dead stop, it will help.

~Slow accelerations
depends on the situation, if you might have to stop again a 1/4 mile later then yes, if you are accelerating to an on-ramp onto the highway keep your engine at a higher load for increased efficiency (I keep my engine load on my Jeep around 80-90%).

~Reduction of stops
a given, maintain momentum.

-Removed rear mud flaps (which were cracked and old)
good call, might want to see if you can get replacements and then put them in front of the tires to work as tire spats.

-Tires properly inflated to 44psi
"proper" in an ecomodder sense, yes.

-Major rust holes in body have been removed and filled with fiber glass
good call.

-Never use AC
a little extreme for me (at least in the summer time) though up in minnesota you might be just fine.

-Roll down windows at stops and use vented air while driving
crack the rear windows so that there is actually air flow through the car.

-Remove unnecessary weight
always good.

-Replaced broken fog lights with dense foam for less weight and better wind resistance (similar to grill block)
couldn't hurt, depending on how it effects airflow at that point on the car.

You're off to a pretty good start, and you picked a great place to get additional information

SewbDude 06-05-2011 11:39 PM

Yeah, thanks for the response. It's been in the 80s in Minnesota, so I cheated a bit by having my AC on when my fiance was in my car. Thanks.

Joenavy85 06-05-2011 11:45 PM

if i'm cruising around town at 35 or less i just roll down the windows, once i get above that i put them all up and kick on the AC, and then adjust the temp to be *just* on the cool side, which minimizes the cycling of the compressor clutch.

drewbabich 06-06-2013 07:21 AM

32 mpg out of an old subaru is awesome. Any idea how much the mudflaps were hurting mpg? I should try to take mine off.

aktacoma 06-07-2013 02:36 AM

Is it a manual?
-if so how dedicated are you? I ask because you could use a kill switch to EOC "engine off coast" make sure your steering wont lock up but it shouldnt if you dont turn the key off "try in parking lot first" and then bump start or use the starter to restart the car when you bump start FYI I use 5th gear all the way down to about 35 mph and then 4th down to 15 any less it feels rough to bump start but that will depend on the car

-grill block use scan gauge to measure engine temps
-electric fan
-remove power steering
-belly pan
-pizza pans as aero wheel covers
-smaller mirrors
-removal of roof rack if you have one

there is a list of 65+ aero mods on the top of the site
hope this helps! welcome to EM!