EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Models that don't work on real cars (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/models-dont-work-real-cars-38565.html)

JulianEdgar 09-03-2020 03:40 AM

Models that don't work on real cars

Aerohead has a belief, that has unfortunately been apparently adopted by many people here, which is quite wrong.

That belief is that The Template (and roughly similar shapes) have zero lift. Of course, these shapes have in fact very high lift.

Aerohead often quotes references to support this incorrect belief, but the clearest and most accessible he has quoted is Figure 2.4, page 51 of Hucho (second edition).

So let's look at that diagram. (Note that I not going to (mis)quote or paraphrase, as Aerohead does so often. Instead, I will reproduce the diagrams and text.)

The diagram Aerohead references:

https://i.postimg.cc/zG9CGvRy/Fig-2-4.jpg

Now, what does Aerohead say about it? He said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 630444)
If you'll revisit Figure 2.4, page 51 of Hucho, you can see how,over the last 14.5% of the body, local pressure rises all the way back to local barometric pressure. Depending on rear overhang, and low pressure under the body, due to a diffuser, rear lift can be zero, like the VSPORT's.

Note how there are no caveats or qualifications in what Aerohead says - he's accepting the diagram as being applicable to real cars. But look at the caption. The diagram is for inviscid fluid - that is, an imaginary fluid without viscosity!

And does that matter? Let's look at what is written on the next page:

https://i.postimg.cc/QMvhPLwG/second-page.jpg

Note from the passage:

On the rear part of the vehicle's upper surface a steep pressure rise occurs, and it is in this region where considerable differences exist between the real flow of a viscous fluid and the inviscid flow shown here.

and

If all X-components of the pressure distribution on the vehicle surface are integrated, the result for the drag will be D=0.

and

In the real, viscous flow there exists a drag force, but it cannot be explained by considering an ideal, inviscid fluid.

None of this is much of a surprise to me - if you measure real stuff on real cars on real roads, you quickly find where people have misunderstood (or mis-applied) theory.

The idea that Aerohead constantly pushes that low drag = low lift is simply rubbish. It's one of many misconceptions he has, most of which are very easily shown by getting away from the keyboard and doing some real-world measurements on the road.

It's not hard - and it might prevent silly mistakes like referencing a diagram for inviscid fluid as if it applies to real cars.

oil pan 4 09-03-2020 10:07 AM

When I drove a "new beetle" which is about as close as you can get to the template on a street driven car, that thing generated lift and had horrible cD.
It had to use a spoiler so the back wheels would stay planted to the road surface.
But quoting 2 generations out of date stuff is kind of his thing.

mpg_numbers_guy 09-03-2020 10:43 AM

Beetles slop down way too fast to conform to the template anyway, not exactly an apples to apples comparison.

M_a_t_t 09-03-2020 11:45 AM

The simplest way to look at it:

Rounded surface creates lower pressure. Look at an air foil, the top surface creates lift by lowering the pressure. Overall shape of the car is rounded, thus creates lower pressure on that surface (varying levels). Low pressure on the top half of the car is lift.

Flip a car upside down and you get down force right? :D

freebeard 09-03-2020 05:24 PM

It's been done.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...wu5wo1-500.jpg

Quote:

When I drove a "new beetle" which is about as close as you can get to the template on a street driven car, that thing generated lift and had horrible cD.
That's because it isn't. At least the first generation. The styling trope can be traced back to the Audi Avus or Quattro, the stylistically arched daylight opening. It made production as the Audi TT. Spoilers save TT owner's lives.

To follow The Template, max camber needs to be at 30% of the length.

Thanks OP, I hadn't seen this one before:

What do you make of the internal dotted lines? They seem to imply that pressure differentials transmit through a solid body. ???

I'm patiently waiting for the inexorable: duckduckgo.com/?q=CFD Open+VDB and Blender. The best link appears to be:
Quote:

Fluid Simulation with Blender - FetchCFD
Search domain http://www.fetchcfd.com/view-project...n-with-Blender
Blender's physics fluid simulator uses the Lattice Boltzmann methods to simulate the fluids and allows easy adjustment of resolution. Blender source file also attached. THIS WORK CAN BE REUSED UNDER THE CC BY LICENSE.
https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/f...8716988273.jpg
https://www.fetchcfd.com/view-project/192

This will bring it down from supercomputer level to the hobbyist. You don't even need to have a garage full of 2nd hand game consoles Beowolfed into a render farm.

JulianEdgar 09-03-2020 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 630538)

Thanks OP, I hadn't seen this one before:

What do you make of the internal dotted lines? They seem to imply that pressure differentials transmit through a solid body. ???

The lines in the upper part of the diagram show flow directions. The dotted lines show flow around the car.

The key point is that the pressures shown on this diagram do not apply to real cars.

freebeard 09-03-2020 05:57 PM

Got it. According to Simulation Theory it's all varying degrees of verisimilitude.

kach22i 09-03-2020 08:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by M_a_t_t (Post 630526)
The simplest way to look at it:

Rounded surface creates lower pressure. Look at an air foil, the top surface creates lift by lowering the pressure. Overall shape of the car is rounded, thus creates lower pressure on that surface (varying levels). Low pressure on the top half of the car is lift.

Flip a car upside down and you get down force right? :D

I found the first few sections of the link below informative.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...rodynamic-lift
Quote:

Vehicle body aerodynamics
Heinz Heisler MSc., BSc., F.I.M.I., M.S.O.E., M.I.R.T.E., M.C.I.T., M.I.L.T., in Advanced Vehicle Technology (Second Edition), 2002
Quote:

The aerodynamic lift coefficient CL is a measure of the difference in pressure created above and below a vehicle's body as it moves through the surrounding viscous air..........
Quote:

14.3.2 Vehicle lift (Fig. 14.20)
When a car travels along the road the airstream moving over the upper surface of the body from front to rear has to move further than the underside airstream which almost moves in a straight line (see Fig. 14.20). Thus the direct slower moving underside and the indirect faster moving top side airstream produces a higher pressure underneath the car than over it, consequently the resultant vertical pressures generated between the upper and under surfaces produce a net upthrust or lift.

Vman455 09-03-2020 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630541)
The dotted lines show flow around the car.

I don't think this is the case; Hucho is quite clear that this is a two-dimensional section. I believe the dotted lines are meant to represent possible duct paths between intakes and outlets for cooling and cabin ventilation air. The paragraph after the one you posted explains:

Quote:

From the pressure distribution shown in Fig. 2.4, suitable positions for the air intake and outlet for the cooling and ventilation system can be selected. The intake should be placed in regions of high pressure, e.g. in the nose region or in the scuttle, whereas the outlet may be placed in a region of suction.

JulianEdgar 09-03-2020 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vman455 (Post 630547)
I don't think this is the case; Hucho is quite clear that this is a two-dimensional section. I believe the dotted lines are meant to represent possible duct paths between intakes and outlets for cooling and cabin ventilation air. The paragraph after the one you posted explains:

Yes I think you are right.

JulianEdgar 09-03-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kach22i (Post 630546)
I found the first few sections of the link below informative.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...rodynamic-lift

Looks good, but just be careful with the 'upper flow has to travel further' part. This theory of lift has been largely discredited. I can recommend some good aircraft aero books on wing lift if you're interested.

bentring 09-03-2020 10:38 PM

Although I've long been fascinated with automobile aerodynamics, I don't have enough knowledge and interest to speak of the science, so I usually don't bother parroting what's accepted as common knowledge here.

I know there's been prior debate of the subject of the template I haven't read, so if this information has been discussed to death feel free to disregard this post; but I feel like information, pictures, and videos on this page would be relevant to the discussion.

freebeard 09-03-2020 11:12 PM

Thanks. Bubblemania is an interesting site. They cover things like Luigi Colani and Ed Roth and domes.

The page you linked is more than just the Schlorwagen, which is iconic; then Persu et al. I've stood next to the Lewis Airomobile in a museum. I remember the Riley heads in old Ford roadsters, but I'd never seen what must be the Ur-Lakester:

http://bubblemania.fr/wp-content/uploads/CI-600x426.jpg
http://bubblemania.fr/wp-content/uploads/CI-600x426.jpg

In case you haven't seen it, I'll repost my motor home design.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...07-7-35-02.png

I keep reposting it in case it turns up in a Google Bing DuckDuckGo search for Elon Musk so he sees it. Not touching Twitter.

JulianEdgar 09-04-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentring (Post 630552)
Although I've long been fascinated with automobile aerodynamics, I don't have enough knowledge and interest to speak of the science, so I usually don't bother parroting what's accepted as common knowledge here.

I know there's been prior debate of the subject of the template I haven't read, so if this information has been discussed to death feel free to disregard this post; but I feel like information, pictures, and videos on this page would be relevant to the discussion.

With respect, this is likely to just send us back to the BS from which the original garbage descended.

Note: I am not saying that these cars are of no interest, or they they were backward at the time. In fact I am a great fan of them.

But....

The Cd values recorded at the time for these cars are highly unreliable, as has been demonstrated when full-size cars of the past have been tested in modern wind tunnels.

...and...

The designers of the time cared nothing about lift, and so basically all the shapes shown are of such high lift they would never be released by any responsible car company today.

...and...

In general, the designers were not aware of the drag resulting from trailing vortices, and so attached flow was often seen as an end in itself.

More than anything else, these factors explain why no current cars look anything like these cars. For exactly the same reasons, it also explains why using some sort of standardised approach (a template) based on these ideas is usually a pretty bad idea, and using such a template as some sort of model for changing an existing car is an even worse idea.

Taylor95 09-04-2020 01:19 AM

So it is generally better to not use any kind of template then?

Makes sense given the big differences that exist between different vehicles.

JulianEdgar 09-04-2020 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor95 (Post 630556)

Yes I think it makes vastly more sense to trial aerodynamic changes and then test them. Nearly all aero changes can be tested with low cost (often free) changes - about the only one hard to mock up out of cheap materials is a true wing. Otherwise, you use cardboard, tape, stiff sheet plastic - or my favourite, thin marine plywood.

Then we have lot of tools at our disposal to measure nearly every aspect of car aero on the road at low or zero cost. Here's a few:
  • locations of separated and attached flow
  • panel pressures anywhere on the car
  • relative changes in drag
  • lift and downforce, both front and rear

That way, you find out what works for your specific car in terms of exactly what you want to achieve.

For car aero, guesswork and blindly following what others have done on different cars in the past is exactly the same as for any other area of car modification. And what's that? It's likely to result in much poorer results than could have been achieved through some simple test and development.

RedDevil 09-04-2020 03:34 AM

I'm not worried about lift much, at least not at reasonable speed. If anything it slightly lowers rolling resistance, but I don't expect much of that. It will also slightly reduce grip of course, but again not by much.
If lift is the price to pay for less drag I'll take it with both hands.

JulianEdgar 09-04-2020 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 630558)
I'm not worried about lift much, at least not at reasonable speed. If anything it slightly lowers rolling resistance, but I don't expect much of that. It will also slightly reduce grip of course, but again not by much.

Ah well, it depends on what is 'reasonable speed', doesn't it?

I am biased - I spend 90 per cent of my driving on country (rural) roads at 100 and 110 km/h (~60 - 70 mph) and the change in lift is obvious on my car (I have measurable downforce at those speeds). I also overtake at considerably higher speeds (often on narrow and poor roads). And of course, any headwind simply adds to the airspeed.

But that's completely your decision - if you're happy with lift (and maybe lots of lift) and lower drag, then that's a decision you can take.

It's an interesting area. Despite driving a lot of cars, I didn't realise the significance of lift until I changed it on my Insight. Then I realised the 'it feels better, the faster you go' that I'd associated more with good suspension damping is probably in large part due to a lack of aero lift.

RedDevil 09-04-2020 11:47 AM

Overtaking? What is that? :p
I'm happy if a slowpoke ahead gives me an excuse to slow down, and though I keep a respectable distance sometimes the wake can be noticed in extra reduced fuel consumption.

Then I have other reasons. I have tinnitus (whistling ears) and it gets worse with more external sound. And I like my car, am in no hurry to arrive at my destination to flee it.

I never have the feeling that I suffer from excess lift.
I do have instability in side wind though, which I think may be related to the rounded corners of the rear bumpers (where a Prius and many other cars now have a sharp fold) but it about vanishes with a mildly raised tire pressure at the back, especially when on 16" rims (versus the 15" narrow steels for my winter tires). It is an useful indicator now to the point where any instability makes me check tire pressure at the next stop, with a couple of hits (slow leak due to a screw in the tire!)

Taylor95 09-04-2020 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630557)
Yes I think it makes vastly more sense to trial aerodynamic changes and then test them. Nearly all aero changes can be tested with low cost (often free) changes - about the only one hard to mock up out of cheap materials is a true wing. Otherwise, you use cardboard, tape, stiff sheet plastic - or my favourite, thin marine plywood.

Then we have lot of tools at our disposal to measure nearly every aspect of car aero on the road at low or zero cost. Here's a few:
  • locations of separated and attached flow
  • panel pressures anywhere on the car
  • relative changes in drag
  • lift and downforce, both front and rear

That way, you find out what works for your specific car in terms of exactly what you want to achieve.

For car aero, guesswork and blindly following what others have done on different cars in the past is exactly the same as for any other area of car modification. And what's that? It's likely to result in much poorer results than could have been achieved through some simple test and development.

Thanks. I have an ambitious project that I will definitely do some of these tests on rather than using the template. With the amount of time and money I will be spending, I really don't want to mess up the aerodynamic modifications. My project will start with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so the aerodynamic modifications are likely one of the most important aspects of the build.

I like the idea of using cardboard to test modifications. Obviously it is much cheaper than bolting/welding sheet metal to the body.

kach22i 09-04-2020 12:20 PM

Quote:

Wow, what a great link.

Thanks!

kach22i 09-04-2020 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 630558)

Not me.

Most of my modifications improved crosswind performance and increased down-force.

I also got an mpg bump, which is nice.

However if mpg were my only goal then an S10 or Tacoma would not be my base vehicle.

UPLIFT has long been an underated issue in this forum in my opinion.

This is a good thread.

aerohead 09-04-2020 01:26 PM

New Beetle

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 630522)
It had to use a spoiler so the back wheels would stay planted to the road surface.
But quoting 2 generations out of date stuff is kind of his thing.

1) I wouldn't associate the New Beetle even remotely with the template.
2) The original Beetle was tested by ROAD & TRACK in 1969. It had no rear lift whatsoever.
3) Too bad you didn't drive the XL1. It IS a 'template' car.

aerohead 09-04-2020 01:48 PM

diagram

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630512)
Aerohead has a belief, that has unfortunately been apparently adopted by many people here, which is quite wrong.

That belief is that The Template (and roughly similar shapes) have zero lift. Of course, these shapes have in fact very high lift.

Aerohead often quotes references to support this incorrect belief, but the clearest and most accessible he has quoted is Figure 2.4, page 51 of Hucho (second edition).

So let's look at that diagram. (Note that I not going to (mis)quote or paraphrase, as Aerohead does so often. Instead, I will reproduce the diagrams and text.)

The diagram Aerohead references:

Now, what does Aerohead say about it? He said:

Note how there are no caveats or qualifications in what Aerohead says - he's accepting the diagram as being applicable to real cars. But look at the caption. The diagram is for inviscid fluid - that is, an imaginary fluid without viscosity!

And does that matter? Let's look at what is written on the next page:

https://i.postimg.cc/QMvhPLwG/second-page.jpg

Note from the passage:

On the rear part of the vehicle's upper surface a steep pressure rise occurs, and it is in this region where considerable differences exist between the real flow of a viscous fluid and the inviscid flow shown here.

and

If all X-components of the pressure distribution on the vehicle surface are integrated, the result for the drag will be D=0.

and

In the real, viscous flow there exists a drag force, but it cannot be explained by considering an ideal, inviscid fluid.

None of this is much of a surprise to me - if you measure real stuff on real cars on real roads, you quickly find where people have misunderstood (or mis-applied) theory.

The idea that Aerohead constantly pushes that low drag = low lift is simply rubbish. It's one of many misconceptions he has, most of which are very easily shown by getting away from the keyboard and doing some real-world measurements on the road.

It's not hard - and it might prevent silly mistakes like referencing a diagram for inviscid fluid as if it applies to real cars.

If I can get into my photobucket account some how, I have the schematic Sawatzki came up with for a Jaray car, which has identical flow features as the 2-D image. It appears in Hoerner's AERODYNAMIC DRAG, page 160. The significant lift occurs at the A-pillar.
The car has quite a rear overhang, and with a positive pressure acting over a 23 % body-length moment arm, going beyond the rear axle it generates significant downforce.
Diffusers can also provide a counterbalance with respect to overall lift.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As to low drag / low lift, don't get obsessive about the upper body pressure profile without investigating under the vehicle.
Spirit generated 22-pounds rear lift at 135-mph. And 30-pounds downforce on the front axle.
Her travel weight was over 4,200 - pounds. My travel speed was 65-mph. Any lift at that velocity wouldn't be on the radar screen at all. Just take the squares of each velocity and compare them as a percentage.

aerohead 09-04-2020 01:54 PM

this page

Quote:

Online, there's an image of a Schl'o'wagen model being tested under green light, with smoke introduced into the boundary layer if memory serves me. The smoke does not entirely follow the roof contour. Other shapes with a more conservative roofline have measured Cd 0.13.

aerohead 09-04-2020 01:56 PM

lift

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630554)
With respect, this is likely to just send us back to the BS from which the original garbage descended.

Note: I am not saying that these cars are of no interest, or they they were backward at the time. In fact I am a great fan of them.

But....

The Cd values recorded at the time for these cars are highly unreliable, as has been demonstrated when full-size cars of the past have been tested in modern wind tunnels.

...and...

The designers of the time cared nothing about lift, and so basically all the shapes shown are of such high lift they would never be released by any responsible car company today.

...and...

In general, the designers were not aware of the drag resulting from trailing vortices, and so attached flow was often seen as an end in itself.

More than anything else, these factors explain why no current cars look anything like these cars. For exactly the same reasons, it also explains why using some sort of standardised approach (a template) based on these ideas is usually a pretty bad idea, and using such a template as some sort of model for changing an existing car is an even worse idea.

You're speculating.

aerohead 09-04-2020 02:08 PM

better not to

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taylor95 (Post 630556)

Of course! Even in language. Why even use a 'template' phonetic alphabet when we could make up new novel languages every time we speak or write.
Time isn't money. We can just p... away our lives repeating experiments done millions of times before.
Forget the plumbing code and standardized fittings.
Structural engineering? Who needs it. Skip the rebar, those 'tables' are rubbish.
Medical school. I'll do that C-section for a fraction of the cost.
Wing sections. Logs will do with enough horsepower.There's your real bragging rights!
Just take all the accumulated knowledge of the last 4,000-years and throw it out the window.
We can better spend our time reinventing everything.

kach22i 09-04-2020 02:52 PM

The LFRD method for calculating steel members was replaced with another method a few years after I got out of college.

In other words, this is an example where a standard of science was improved upon and replaced.

Many such examples outside of architecture and structural engineering exist.

In my reading today on this topic I picked up that standard aerodynamic theory and calculations and even CFD can and will be improved upon as the quest for lower drag aircraft continues.

In short, science marches on.

I can see both discarding the past and building on the past as needed.

We in this forum are not in pursuit of that last 2-percent of perfection, so rules of thumbs and templates have a role in my opinion.

I do wish there was a template or more illuminative guide for UPLIFT though.

The extra 50 lbs of down-force I seat of the pants guessed my S10 pickup truck roof wing gives allows me to not use 4WD in heavy rain and still take wide bending curves on Pontiac Trail at 50 mph at night. This means I save gas and get to my destination on time.

50 lbs may not seem like a lot, but it is enough to make a difference in my comfort zone.

freebeard 09-04-2020 03:14 PM

I'm carrying 50lb of downforce I could stand to lose. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead
We can better spend our time reinventing everything.

True! We've entered the age of adversarial generative AI. Everything is up for grabs.

An off-topic example:
elemental.medium.com: A Supercomputer Analyzed Covid-19 — and an Interesting New Theory Has Emerged
A closer look at the Bradykinin hypothesis

California98Civic 09-04-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 630598)
I'm carrying 50lb of downforce I could stand to lose. :)

This joke wins a "Frankie" ... a.k.a. the FrankLeePrize, which is represented by the icon (:

bentring 09-04-2020 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerohead (Post 630589)
Online, there's an image of a Schl'o'wagen model being tested under green light, with smoke introduced into the boundary layer if memory serves me. The smoke does not entirely follow the roof contour. Other shapes with a more conservative roofline have measured Cd 0.13.

I'm fairly certain the picture you are referring to was taken from a 90 second video in the link I posted. I'm almost certain I remember seeing a much longer video that contains more about the subject but I can't find it. As I previously stated, I'm fascinated with the discussion but I was away from the site for a while and wasn't aware if the information on the page had been discussed or not.

bentring 09-04-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulianEdgar (Post 630554)

But....

...and...

...and...

I almost didn't bother posting the link in fear of beating a decayed horse, but as you said, those old cars are very interesting! I fully admit to only half following the scientific arguments, so I thought the videos of a close follower of the template might help those with the knowledge discuss in a manner a dummy like me can follow. ;)

I also can't remember where I came across the information, but I'm positive that car was highly unstable at highish speeds, as well as being quite huge.

freebeard 09-04-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

I also can't remember where I came across the information....
It was in that link you posted at Permalink #12.

bentring 09-05-2020 10:16 AM

:facepalm: I've violated the long established axiom of opening my mouth and removing doubt of my foolishness.

freebeard 09-05-2020 12:32 PM

OTOH, someone looked at the link you provided.

California98Civic 09-06-2020 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bentring (Post 630636)
:facepalm: I've violated the long established axiom of opening my mouth and removing doubt of my foolishness.

Don't worry. That axiom does not stop any of us on this site from doing likewise.