EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   MOFOGEO - 92 Metro XFi (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mofogeo-92-metro-xfi-35833.html)

MF Baker 11-15-2017 05:11 PM

MOFOGEO - 92 Metro XFi

Just picked up this beaut today, 92 metro xfi! Amazingly good condition inside and out, has its share of typical 25 year old Metro problems of course, handles and windows on both doors are worthless, one tail light wont work at all lol, cabin fan isnt working, check engine light is on. Has 285k miles, burned a valve and got a new head at 250k, starts right up runs great and shifts smooth!

Not a whole lot planned yet except to get the obvious in order, main project will be some bigger alloy wheels since you cant find crap for 12 inch tires, also new struts and top mounts, new windshield, that will be the bulk of it. For mods looking for some headlight covers and small aero improvements.

Ill try to keep it updated!

Daox 11-15-2017 05:23 PM

Nice score! You darn southerners and your old cars that aren't rusted to oblivion... I am a bit jealous. :)

MF Baker 08-21-2018 09:35 AM

Update!!!

So far i am getting over 50mpg around town and right about 60mpg on the highway!

Has some new tires, 155/80/12, rides a lot better than the 70 series.

Just about everything that was wrong with it has been ironed out with a little messing around. Driver door just needed wd40, works great now. Both windows work pretty well. Short that was draining the battery was in the driver side seatbelt detector.

This car had a/c installed at the dealership when bought by the previous owner. The high idle air valve was really messing with the idle. All ac components have now been removed and its running tremendously better! Only thing left is the crank pulley with 2 rows, on the hunt for a single row xfi crank pulley now.

The car has a new radiator and hoses. There was no mounting for a fan so there is no radiator fan. I sat in traffic in 110°f and it never went up past half. I coasted down a several mile hill and the temp gauge dropped all the way down! Seems to be an extra efficiant radiator, or this tiny thing just doesnt really make any heat, its amazing!

Working on finding a pic hosting site, pics soon!

elhigh 08-21-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MF Baker (Post 576618)
Short that was draining the battery was in the driver side seatbelt detector.

That sounds like the least fun snipe hunt ever.

Quote:

Only thing left is the crank pulley with 2 rows, on the hunt for a single row xfi crank pulley now.

I wouldn't burn up a lot of effort hunting for that. Unless you're in a LOT of stop-and-go the extra rotating mass isn't really hurting anything, and may make your engine run smoother. That's just me of course.

Quote:

The car has a new radiator and hoses. There was no mounting for a fan so there is no radiator fan. I sat in traffic in 110°f and it never went up past half. I coasted down a several mile hill and the temp gauge dropped all the way down! Seems to be an extra efficiant radiator, or this tiny thing just doesnt really make any heat, its amazing!

SERIOUSLY?!

I'm blown away. I knew the engine's output wasn't much but that is frankly amazing.

Wait. "Dropped all the way down." Is the thermostat stuck open, or missing? In NM that may not be a bad thing but then again your winter nights can be pretty cold, even by my standards.

With no fan I wonder if you can afford to try a grille block, if a block is in the cards.

Anyhoo, nice. I'm a little envious.

me and my metro 08-21-2018 11:06 AM

About the single belt pulley, there are aftermarket versions but I have not seen a factory one.