Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2018, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Do\did your professors use rubrics?

I am retaking classes trying to get into grad school so that I can make angry money. My agency pays SLPs $15 an hour more than SLPAs or you could go rogue and earn far more. The state pays almost $200 per evaluation and I know an occupational therapist that claimed she once did ten evaluations in one day.

How often do you earn $2,000 in a day? Well, she only did once.

Eastern New Mexico University seemed like the best school for me, based on the fact that they charge less than everyone else. I read good things about them, but when I am retaking classes from my second Bachelor's trying to get into grad school, I want to spend a minimum on my Etcetera degree.

When I attended Arizona State I took a class that involved watching twenty-five speech therapy sessions and answering eight generic questions--the same for every video. The questions were often irrelevant to the session and that was held against me. I am taking a lab through ENMU that is just the observations--supposedly our final grade will simply be the average score of our observation reports, the professor specifies which of three sets of questions to answer, and the ten questions seem far more relevant.

Excitingly, I scored a 1.833/5.0, and there is not any other feedback. I am going to look up exactly how the professor instructs us to contact him (while my other professors gave us a variety of methods) and ask him to specify what I got wrong and right. He did provide a rubric and my professor friend says the rubric is adequate.

Does a rubric do anything besides use sentences to explain that 1.833/5.0 is terrible?

For each video the professor gave us all relevant confidential information, which we needed to include in the report. If you get the first half right, you score 1.0. If you answer both halves right, you score 2.0.

So, supposedly I copied 91.67% of the information correctly?

If you then answer every question correctly you can earn a 3.0. Good correct answers yield a 4.0 and excellent correct answers give you a 5.0.
He provided a sample of a report that earned a 5.0 and it had entire sentences that were superfluous.

Does he not give you credit for the actual questions if you copy one piece of information incorrectly? It is Friday night and I have homework due Monday morning. Will he even answer before the next assignment is due?

There are only four assignments and if I somehow earn 5/5 on the rest I will only earn an 84% for the course, but without knowing what I allegedly did wrong, why would I expect to earn more than 1.833/5.0? If I then manage 5/5 on the remaining two assignments I will have a whole 68% for the course.

Even for digital assignments, my professors at Arizona State graded them and I could see what they marked wrong, etc.

Rubrics alone seem lazy and useless.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
To truly go rogue, you need to stop caring what others tell you is important, and start telling others what you think is important. School is where independent thought goes to die, along with financial freedom (unless you're in a program that requires certain certification, such as a medical degree).

Based on all that you've shared over the years, it seems like either something in your behavior makes people reluctant to share guidance/feedback with you, or they share it and you don't remember, or you have the worst luck in the world finding helpful people. Based on your tendency to get sidetracked, my guess is the former. All conjecture of course, with nothing but the words you've written here to go on.

I'd say demand more from those that you are paying to provide a service. They work for you, you don't work for them.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-29-2018, 02:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

No, I am horribly easily distracted, and have atrocious time management. I logged in to do an assignment which I just missed and saw the 1.833/5.0, so I tried to figure out why. I tried to focus on the assignment, but felt fare more likely to receive feedback here than from my professor, although I really needed to take the chance.

Imagine how great it would have been had I seen the low score, figured I would deal with it later, and knocked out this assignment?

It is weird that I already took similar classes at another school and have worked in the field for three or four years, but 90% of this stuff is unfamiliar. I am not declaring that I have not seen it before, I just have not seen it since I graduated, but this specific assignment has to do with speech evaluations, which I am not qualified to administer, and my supervisors never invited me to observe. My previous supervisor told me February twentieth that when I was hired she decided to not train me. However, she wanted me to do more of her work, so she spent five minutes telling me so little about performing screenings that I made an excuse to return to my desk.

I contacted another SLP who sent me information that was perfectly clear.

That supervisor claimed that I was hostile to feedback, but I had difficulty remembering her ever giving me any. Who cares if she felt I was hostile? It was her job. If it was a problem she needed to have our boss talk to me about it, but that never happened.

I do not have any idea what scores this professor gave everyone else, but I do not think that he gives any actual feedback unless people ask him. He is rated 3/5 on RateMyProfessor. There are always critics. The iPhone X is only rated 4/5 on Amazon, but several students complained that he did not explain anything.

I do not understand how people balance school, work, and family. When I took these classes through ASU I just put up with roommates, attended drill, did mandatory on-line Army classes, and studied, but Dad was alive, and Mom's health was better. I had one roommate that liked to loudly watch movies late at night, but for the most part my roommates were quiet. I kept reading the directions for the assignment that I missed and hearing the television in the next room, through a closed door, and over the sound of white noise on my headphones.

I need to find my noise-cancelling headphones. I have not needed to use those since I saw my supervisor every day. It was amazing how much of her work day she spent happily chatting.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'm right there with you, wasting time on distractions rather than addressing life matters. I justify it by my "all is vanity" outlook, while later working furiously to catch up on vanity.

Quote:
The iPhone X is only rated 4/5 on Amazon, but several students complained that he did not explain anything.
It's stuff like this that appear as if you get distracted mid-sentence, or at least have an abstract thought process hard to follow. I can relate too since my thoughts are abstract and difficult for me to express. So your professor is rated lower than the awful iPhone 10. Seems his fault is one of branding and marketing.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

I once read a book about time management. There was a chapter on accomplishing things while you eat lunch. Does that really require brainpower?

Do you know what happens when I try to multitask?

I can take a bite of food and pack a bag, but eating and reading, processing, and remembering is different for me.

I eat well over the average of 2,200 calories that American males supposedly require, and aside from when I was Active Duty, I am a notoriously slow eater--when my teeth work right, which is not currently the case.

I would be far more productive on a liquid diet?

I mentioned the iPhone because of how fanatical people are about it. I do not know if the previous iterations were rated better. When I read about the notch I read many comments that Apple has been going downhill since Jobs died.

Rookie mistake!
Old 09-29-2018, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I dunno, I've always disliked Apple, but they try new things and propel technology. The key to success isn't to avoid failure at all cost, but to try new things and learn from it. A notched screen for non-notched content is clearly a design fail, but at least they tried. Hopefully all our content in the future doesn't adopt the notched form-factor, with me having to explain to my children why there's a chunk missing on the peripheral view of their VR headsets.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

I e-mailed the instructor (not a professor) and he did respond, just saying to click on the assignment to see his feedback and the rubric. I had already seen the rubric, that is a hyperlink, but the name of the assignment looks like plain text. I clicked anyway and the only feedback that he provided was that I sent one observation twice (instead of the third observation).
He does not accept late work so I cannot do anything about it.
He did not indicate whether any of my answers were wrong or incomplete.

So, as long as I do not accidentally send the wrong report at 4 am I should score around 2.75/5, but it does not seem like he simply multiplies your average score by twenty:

1: Poor
2: Fair
3: Good
4: Above Average
5: Excellent

So, he would not give me 50.4% for the course, but a D+\C-?

So much better!

Yet still completely terrible!
Old 09-29-2018, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
I live really close to enmu now.

I have heard of rubrics but not had it used on me.
To me it sounds dumb.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
Not Doug

I was surprised that he responded this soon, but not pleased, because it was still not useful, and I need to specifically ask for feedback that I feel he should have provided in his first e-mail--or when he graded the assignment!

I found an SLP that wrote "I remember him! [...] I remember there was always a huge line of students waiting for him outside his office."

It seems that he communicates as little as possible.

Reply  Post New Thread