EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Moon Disc Hubcaps vs Insight Wheels (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/moon-disc-hubcaps-vs-insight-wheels-6152.html)

1337 11-24-2008 12:51 PM

Moon Disc Hubcaps vs Insight Wheels

I'm interested in improving the wheel aerodynamics of my Protege. I'm considering buying either the flat Insight alloys or some moon disc hubcaps.

Does anyone have any experience with Insight wheels; are they nearly as low-drag as moon discs?

One would anticipate that the Insight wheels would be much more expensive than moon discs, but junkyards are selling sets of Insight wheels for $100-150. Also, I need new tires, so regardless of what I buy, I will need tires mounted and balanced.

Has anyone ever had moon discs stolen? They'd be easier to steal than alloys.

Tango Charlie 11-24-2008 01:48 PM

I can't speak to Insight wheels, but as far as moonies go, some guys have used pizza pans as dirt-cheap alternatives.

PaleMelanesian 11-24-2008 02:48 PM

Those insight wheels are the lightest thing around, and this close to being as aerodynamic as moon discs. If you can score a set for that price, do it.

Ryland 11-25-2008 11:59 AM

the insight rims should win on both weight and aerodynamics, because the whole rim is engined, not just the face, mood disc hub caps also bulge out, insight rims are pretty flat on the face.

MetroMPG 11-25-2008 12:08 PM

Are they lighter than 13 inch Civic VX rims? I think you'd be further ahead going that route, putting narrower 13 inch (lower CD & A) tires on, and adding discs.

PaleMelanesian 11-25-2008 12:12 PM

Citing ourselves here, but: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eels-1407.html

whokilledthejams 11-27-2008 12:12 PM

If you don't cheap out on your Moon discs and actually get the Moon brand, they're extremely difficult to remove with something other than a claw hammer. Mine remain unstolen, even as commodity prices went up. Your results may vary.

However, for the same price, go for the Insight wheels. The lightness alone makes them worth it.

Bror Jace 11-27-2008 08:54 PM

I have full moon discs ... and do fear that leaving my car on the street or in a commercial parking lot for a day or more may mean stolen hubcaps ... but it hasn't happened yet. One time, for a car left all day in a supermarket lot, I pulled them off myself and threw them into the hatch to be safe.

Keep in mind, you are adding a few pounds to each steel rim, though. The alloys will be MUCH lighter in total ... maybe 6-7 pounds in unsprung weight. This may be significant if you see a lot of stop-and-go traffic.

Lastly, I don't know the effect they have on mileage ... but my record keeping suggests it is very small ... certainly less than 1 mpg on my Civic. So, don't expect a significant return on your investment.

1337 11-28-2008 01:22 AM

thanks for all the help. one other idea...does anyone know the aerodynamic properties and weight of first gen civic hybrid wheels?

the civic hybrid wheels look less aerodynamic than the insight wheels, but the civic hybrid wheels look more aero optimized than, say, vx wheels.

aerohead 12-06-2008 04:17 PM

Moonies

The only hard data I have comes from an old article,Road &Track,Sep 1982,Trans Am development.The aspirated wheelcover(which would approximate the Insight aluminum wheel),affected the Cd of the Pontiac by 0.003,as compared to a fully closed-off Moon wheelcover.A second article for the Subaru XT yielded a 2.75%drag difference with a vented cover compared to a Moon.That would be hard to measure at the gas pump but might emerge from the signal-to-noise ratio if tested in quick succession,with and without.---------- Since a full wheelcover can better insure clean flow downstream (ie.for a boat-tail) they would be the preferred choice.If no mods are planned for the aft-body,then maybe the aspirated wheel is just fine.