EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   More california insanity (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/more-california-insanity-32579.html)

oil pan 4 08-16-2015 03:43 PM

More california insanity

Bill Text - SB-350 Clean Energy and Pollution Reduction Act of 2015.

I see them buying a lot more wind generated electricity from west texas and eastern new mexico in the near future.
This is great news for me, but I see no way this could benefit anyone who lives there.
Just load all your money on a train in send it out this way.

RedDevil 08-16-2015 03:46 PM

Ouch, that is a lot to read. What is the verdict, in Trump-sized sound bites?

oil pan 4 08-16-2015 04:25 PM

Yeah it barely makes sense to people to whom English is their first language.
I don't think that bill is going to have a chance to be voted into a law on until later this year.

Basically it all boils down to using other peoples money to fix the imagined problem of disadvantaged people (people who are too lazy to earn their own living) having limited access to "alternative fuel vehicles". It will also make the people who own green energy companies unbelievably wealthy (way beyond just being "rich").
They will force them selves to buy more power from existing super sized, super producing wind farms thousands of km away in texas and new mexico, can you say line losses?
And they have to magically do it all with out passing the cost on to the end consumer.

In addition to all that, they also have to reduce petroleum based motor fuel consumption 50% by 2030. (I think this is great news for everyone that does not live in california, it means more gasoline for the rest of the U.S. and more gas that can be sold abroad, strengthening the U.S.$)

Other problems, the power transmission lines we use to send power to California form west texas and new mexico are already maxed out.
Even locally we have more wind generating capacity than transmission capacity and more are being built.

me and my metro 08-17-2015 01:08 AM

Wind and solar are great when it is windy and daytime, you still need the steam plants at night. There are no batteries to carry us through the night. Just food for thought, you can't just flip a switch to turn steamers on and off.

Xist 08-17-2015 01:28 AM

People must think it is awesome to legislate themselves money.

solarguy 08-17-2015 12:36 PM

Through the magic of legislation...

Intractable, expensive, technically complex problems SOLVED with the stroke of the magic legislative pen.

What would help a lot is a bunch of new high voltage DC transmission lines to get the wind and solar excess capacity out to the rest of the country, but the current economic model doesn't reward that.

The current economic model is -not- capitalism...

UFO 08-17-2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solarguy (Post 490298)
Intractable, expensive, technically complex problems SOLVED with the stroke of the magic legislative pen.

What would help a lot is a bunch of new high voltage DC transmission lines to get the wind and solar excess capacity out to the rest of the country, but the current economic model doesn't reward that.

The current economic model is -not- capitalism...

I'm sure you meant AC transmission lines. DC died with Edison.

user removed 08-17-2015 12:42 PM

Best large scale energy storage is pumped hydro.

regards
mech

jamesqf 08-17-2015 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me and my metro (Post 490279)
Wind and solar are great when it is windy and daytime, you still need the steam plants at night. There are no batteries to carry us through the night.

Sure there are: it's called hydro, much of which comes from out-of-state already. (See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_DC_Intertie ) Then there's geothermal, which provides 24/7 power. And if all else fails, Elon Musk will be happy to sell you a battery backup system: Tesla Powerwall

Xist 08-17-2015 02:31 PM

Obviously the solution is: Magic!

Let's take everything from the Unicorn corral and use the most obtuse language possible, so that the average person sees the sheer bulk and ignores it in favor of Facebook, and those that consider themselves mature and intelligent get halfway through the first sentence and return to neck beard forums and then... fund Elio? :)