EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   More fun mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/more-fun-mpg-2489.html)

93DelSol 05-22-2008 03:54 PM

More fun mpg

Began driving my 93 Honda Del Sol once again. It was my wife's car (it didn't fit her...she's only 5-ft tall but, the seat wouldn't go up enough so she could reach the peds) and then it was my daughter's (she's away in school) then it just sat here for awhile while gas prices went up and up. I fixed it up recently thinking, what the heck...even though it might be perceived by some as a 'chick car', I thought it might save me some money on gas since it's a 2-seater with a little engine.

The first week I began to use it I got heckled by some dude in a muscle car who said "Where'd you get that car, in a Happy Meal??" I just laughed and drove on (while he entered the gas station)...perhaps I thought, I'd get the last laugh.

Recently checked my mpg after mostly regular use-city/hwy and using a few of the tips I always use to save money, great tips that are on this site, timing traffic lights and trying not to use the brakes. I was surprised that I got 35.9 mpg. I had a lot of fun too.

The Honda Del Sol has a lot of umph for a small engine, 160 HP, and with that Vtec engine and low profile I had a lot of fun on the curves taking them at 20 mph over what the sign warned was the limit. That's when the "fun" part began. Lets call it "the revenge of the small cars"

There's this hair pin curve on the county highway where (because I was riving efficiently) there often seemed to be someone tailgaiting me as I approached this curve, usually in an SUV about the size of my livingroom...in my little 'toy car' that can be a bit intimidating...finally, I got fed up with it and decided to have some fun (at the expense of a little fuel). I approached the 1st part of the curve around my usual 45 mph with this guy hanging on my tail like some giant suppository...I rammed the shifter into 3rd and gunned it and when I was in the curve, I peaked at 65 mph...in 4th gear...with very few G's....then blew thru the next curve (another 45 mph turn) at the same speed (65) leaving the elephant slowing down to 40 due to the SUV's size and weight and it being top heavy...it was really great fun as he receded into the distance in my rearview mirror...(what I did I know is a no-no, it is the antithesis of what this site is all about, but boy did it ever feel good.

When I filled up the tank after that temporary lapse of reason, I lost about 1/2 mpg but, it was worth the trade-off. I don't drive like that often at all...I'm far to cheap for that...every now and then, it feels good to break the rules, and because I'm just now learning how to drive efficiently, perhaps I can afford to have a little fun every now and then in my fuel efficient Happy meal car! Who says that efficiency must be booring.

Any suggestions for modifications to my Del Sol would be much appreciated. My goal is to hit 50 mpg on a regular basis (without lapses of reason)...

From a first time user of this site.

igo 05-22-2008 04:16 PM

Yeah, small cars can be fun to drive. The low ride height improves the handling. You will get the last laugh because now that gas is $4 or more it is only a mater of time before the suv/muscle car drivers are wishing the got your mpg.

As for 50mpg it will take a bit a dicipline behind the wheel. Look on the site for driving tips.

Welcome to the site!

bennelson 07-23-2008 11:15 PM

Its great when you can save gas AND have fun.

Not long after upgrading my motorcycle from 36 to 48 volt, a big truck was trailing me closely while going up a big hill.

I decided to accelerate, just to give me some more room. I looked in the mirror about 3 seconds later, expecting him to be just a little further back.

Instead, he was WAY the heck back there.

I totally SMOKED a guy up a hill without using a drop of gasoline!

Now that's fun! :thumbup:

cfg83 07-24-2008 12:51 AM

93DelSol -

Welcome to EM! I was at tirerack.com and using the idea that Concrete told me about to get a side view of a Del Sol :

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6...olstockmk1.jpg

Can't remember if I chose 1995 or not.

You can use the above image for "side view" mod designing. Look, I'm arleady attacking your car!!!!! :

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2...tock01aot3.jpg

That's a(n impractical) 10 degree Kamm-Back on the back.

CarloSW2

Red 07-24-2008 01:15 AM

Looks strangely like an Insight.....

Daox 07-26-2008 08:34 AM

Welcome to the site. I'd definitly say 50 mpg is possible from a Del Sol. It's just gonna take a bit of work. Make sure to check out the 100+ hypermiling tips (link on the top of the page).

no_roads 08-09-2008 03:41 PM

93DelSol

I just bought a 1995 del Sol Si and saw that you have a fuel efficiency gauge and was curious about where you got it or better where I could get one like it and if it works well and the price as well as install of it?

greenitup 08-09-2008 07:04 PM

i wish i had one, my last fillup was 32 mpg is my v6 truck. and i think the next one will be better.