EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   "More than a half dozen" from China (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/more-than-half-dozen-china-33717.html)

Christopher Jordan 04-20-2016 12:23 PM

"More than a half dozen" from China

I read this comment and thought "why do I believe this?". US is not moving too fast in the EV world- running around showing or simply advertising over and over does not put vehicles in our hands. Tesla has; but we are not all Lottery winners.

Part of the reason may be I have had a Chinese built scooter for 5 years and am buying a similar one found on Craigslist.

Greenfield EVs in China are still going strong.

American money went in BVD vehicles.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chinas...101600553.html

freebeard 04-20-2016 07:26 PM

There are whole countries declaring they will be all-electric—Netherlands by 2025

Netherlands looks to ban all non-electric cars by 2025 - CSMonitor.com

Sweden:

Sweden wants to become the first fossil fuel-free country in the world - how will it work? | Environment | The Independent

India says solar is cheaper than coal:

Solar is now cheaper than coal, says India energy minister | Climate Home - climate change news

Stubby79 04-20-2016 10:10 PM

Makes sense that the country or countries with the cheap labor force and the most manufacturing would lead the way in developing such things for the mass market. Big 3 certainly doesn't seem all that interested.

RedDevil 04-21-2016 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freebeard (Post 512193)
There are whole countries declaring they will be all-electric—Netherlands by 2025

Netherlands looks to ban all non-electric cars by 2025 - CSMonitor.com ...

The ministry of transport has pointed out that this proposal conflicts with European law.
We simply cannot ban the purchase of non-electric cars from our neighbouring countries nor refuse them access. Even taxing possibilities are limited.
It was a dud.

That said, EV's are definitely taking hold of our roads. I see a couple of Teslas every day, and several more plug-in hybrids of all kinds.
Many car parks, filling stations etc. have public charge points - and they get used a lot.

We already buy more EV's and hybrids than any other European country, and when the Model 3, Bolt and other new EVs hit the road the growth rate will increase even faster.
By 2025 that law proposal will no longer be relevant.

user removed 04-21-2016 07:26 AM

Most of the Chinese stuff I have looked at closely was absolute garbage. Last time I went in for a new pair of glasses, they tell me I need an eye exam. I told them they need a product that doesn't fall apart every two years. Of course the frames are no longer available and the lenses won't fit anything else.

Customer loyalty thumbs down.

regards
mech

freebeard 04-21-2016 12:14 PM

Quote:

By 2025 that law proposal will no longer be relevant.
Markets move faster than governance. Which is why anarchism is the only political system capable of scaling to global proportions.The prime example being Internet.

niky 04-22-2016 05:53 AM

Chinese stuff has improved by leaps and bounds over the past decade.

BYD EVs are thoroughly modern things... they may still lag in terms of fit and finish, but mechanically, there's little difference to the Japanese... and the Japanese don't have an EV as capable as BYD's best.

samwichse 04-22-2016 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 512231)
The ministry of transport has pointed out that this proposal conflicts with European law.
We simply cannot ban the purchase of non-electric cars from our neighbouring countries nor refuse them access. Even taxing possibilities are limited.

Seems like there are many end-runs around this. You can purchase, but they don't have to license it. Registration requires emissions standards impossibly low so only pure electric qualifies.

botsapper 04-22-2016 11:54 AM

A real powerful Tesla challeger

Hubertus Troska, chairman/COO of Daimler Greater China and Hans Georg Engel, director of Daimler's Chinese R&D facilities, visited LeEco's headquarters in Beijing and discussed with Liu Hong, COO/co-founder of LeEco, and Ding Lei, co-founder of LeEco Super Car/Global VP of LeEco (primary backer of American EV start-up, Faraday Future)

They are preparing a partnership in a wide spectrum of smart EV vehicles, taxi/car-sharing systems and smart navigation/online-to-offline (O2O) commerce. China leads in O2O commerce, potential buyers enticed to leave online space and physically directed to brick-and-mortar stores. (Smart GPS and autonomously driven to the best store deals?, WTF!)

LeEco is also partnering with Aston Martin to produce an EV car and smart tech & infotainment systems.

The company funding Faraday Future just unveiled its own electric car | The Verge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUcDoITdGZo

botsapper 04-22-2016 12:02 PM

Booming Chinese EV demand and sales...but not so fast

Fraud Leaves China's Electric Car Demand in Doubt - Bloomberg