EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Mostly harmless (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mostly-harmless-7308.html)

bwilson4web 03-02-2009 05:19 PM

Mostly harmless

Hi,

I found this web site by accident and remember seeing a few of the old handles. Since your charter and forum messages seem to have an engineering flavor, I figure to hang out for a while and see if this will be a good match.

For those who may wonder, yes I'm the same bwilson4web you might have seen at:
  • GreenHybrid.com
  • PriusChat.com
  • Yahoo Group "Prius Technical Stuff"
I 'bwilson4web' everywhere. For now, let's see what happens and go from there. But rather than fill out a long list, it might be easier to point at some of my earlier work:
One side bit, I joined GreenHybrid.com in October 2005 and was there when in January 2006 the 'hypermiler' crowd ran off to form CleanMPG. Later, as a moderator, I helped put an end to CleanMPG snipping at GreenHybrid. Understand that I have no problem with automation of efficient driving and think that makes a lot of sense. But I am too old for 'hero worship' and I sure don't approve of driving 'stunts.'

My ride is a hybrid electric and my engineering will be that way. I can appreciate specific systems and subsystem that we may share an interest such as aerodynamic mods, reducing rolling drag, and exhaust heat recovery. These are all good things I'm interested in too. But it needs to be part of solid engineering and reproducible in the standard EPA, Euro, or Japanese tests. I am just not impressed in misleading driving 'stunts' and have no problem with puncturing hokum engineering claims and exposing misleading automotive claims and misrepresentations.

So let's see how things work out. Some of the technical threads are interesting and we'll see if collaboration works out.

Bob Wilson

Daox 03-02-2009 05:33 PM

Welcome to the site Bob.

bwilson4web 03-02-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 90401)
Welcome to the site Bob.

Thanks.

A couple of questions, are there 'newbie' or 'anti-SPAM' rules I'll have to pass through before things like my avatar shows up? Hummm, I just tried to upload it again and got, "Upload of file failed."

Never mind, I see it now.

However, attempts to bring up my 'home page' from my userid drop downs doesn't seem to work. This is not a biggie but I'm wondering if I should put it in my signature?

FYI, I'm not here to 'troll for members' but rather to visit and see if 'it works.' Not every community works for everyone and it has nothing to do with either side ... folks are funny that way. For now, I'm planning to stay 'low keyed' and not abuse my signature to entice anyone nor violate the explicit or implicit charter of this group. I'm just a visitor for now.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

MetroMPG 03-02-2009 06:32 PM

Hi Bob, welcome to the site.

Glad to have another p.eng join the fun. I'm not one, though I prefer the discussions/projects here that are based on science.

You'll undoubtedly run into members who make wild claims and/or don't even really get the basics of the experimental method. Gentle nudging works best, I find. :)

I've been to your personal Prius site before and appreciate the work that's gone into it. I can trace a line from my first test drive of a new Gen 1 Prius forward to my decision to build an EV.

cheers-
Darin

MetroMPG 03-02-2009 06:34 PM

PS - readers might want to click through to Bob's garage entry for his car. The list of planned mods is interesting:

Details: 03 Prius - 2003 Toyota Prius - EcoModder.com

bwilson4web 03-02-2009 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 90413)
. . .
Glad to have another p.eng join the fun. I'm not one, though I prefer the discussions/projects here that are based on science.

You'll undoubtedly run into members who make wild claims and/or don't even really get the basics of the experimental method. Gentle nudging works best, I find. . . .

Cool!

I understand the problem and without being judgmental, realize we are only 600 years from the dawn of the Age of Enlightenment. It is not an easy discipline.

I've been doing most of my tests as specific experiments but have come to realize I've reached the limits. I need larger sets of data from ordinary driving. So first is instrumentation and then comes experimentation and analysis.

Right now I'm passing through some of the recent threads to get a feel and flavor.

Bob Wilson

SVOboy 03-02-2009 07:34 PM

Welcome aboard! Just got rid of those ads for you, thanks! :thumbup: