EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Motor Oil Cange to Lower Viscosity (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/motor-oil-cange-lower-viscosity-25671.html)

mattsk1 04-27-2013 07:10 PM

Motor Oil Cange to Lower Viscosity

I changed my oil today and replaced my Moble 1 Synthetic 5W20 with Moble 1 Synthentic 0W20. Not expecting a dramatic improvement but should help a little more. It was the first mod to my car that was not an areo mod. My next project I want to do is a WAI.

mcrews 04-27-2013 11:43 PM

very little change in mpg.

have you pumped up your tires? 40+ psi

mattsk1 04-28-2013 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 368551)
very little change in mpg.

have you pumped up your tires? 40+ psi

My Tires are at 40_ psi. I noticed your big on tire pressure. I am not sure it has made that much of an impact. The mod I noticed I got the most out of was blocking the lower grill. Other than that, my gas miliage has not changed that much. I am getting about 3-4mpg better than with out any mods, so it is an improvement.

mcrews 04-28-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattsk1 (Post 368552)
My Tires are at 40_ psi. I noticed your big on tire pressure. I am not sure it has made that much of an impact. The mod I noticed I got the most out of was blocking the lower grill. Other than that, my gas miliage has not changed that much. I am getting about 3-4mpg better than with out any mods, so it is an improvement.

psi is free and easy!
about half of the population are at 28 psi, so going to 40+ makes a measurable change in mpg. Encourages them to then make small cosmetic changes (grill blocks etc):thumbup:

I am also a BIG advocate for upsizing when buying new tires!

Sven7 04-28-2013 10:43 AM

I heard somewhere a long time ago that every 1psi low you are, that's 1% lower MPG. So if you gained 10psi you should gain 10% mpg. Can't say if that's true, but interesting food for thought.

I'm running 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 and haven't seen any difference. It seems to only help on startup because when the engine is warm the viscosity is the same (30).

Try more aeromods. I drive pretty normally, verging on the aggressive, and while I have a higher-displacement engine than stock it still manages 18% over EPA. Something's going right (and it's probably not the oil viscosity).

mattsk1 04-28-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sven7 (Post 368587)
I heard somewhere a long time ago that every 1psi low you are, that's 1% lower MPG. So if you gained 10psi you should gain 10% mpg. Can't say if that's true, but interesting food for thought.

I'm running 5W-30 instead of 10W-30 and haven't seen any difference. It seems to only help on startup because when the engine is warm the viscosity is the same (30).

Try more aeromods. I drive pretty normally, verging on the aggressive, and while I have a higher-displacement engine than stock it still manages 18% over EPA. Something's going right (and it's probably not the oil viscosity).

I am starting to run out of ideas for areo mods that make a difference. I do not want to drill holes in my car's chassie. Some mods I have under consideration are a air dam, rear wheel skirt, and Partial Belly Pan. These are alot more involved than removing side mirrors, slapping on hub caps and slapping on duct tape on my lower grill. Lowering my car and getting a boat tail is not under consideration for areo mods for me. I might do a partial boat tail.