Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Frogger - '00 Honda Insight Gas Only (unHybrid)
90 day: 68.51 mpg (US)
Transforming my trailer via "the template"

So I bought this old trash trailer a while back. It's been handy. Use it for dump runs, camping, getting lumber, whatever. But... it's falling apart!

Here it is when I first got it...

The final straw was when I took it camping and the tarp was blowing all over and things fell out... that's a huge no no for me. My car also wasn't liking pulling it with as much weight as it had, not to mention jumping on the highway with it, was tough to pull. So...

The new trailer's design must be as reasonably aerodynamic as possible to make it easier on my little car to pull. On top of that, the lowest weight possible, without sacrificing the strength needed. Finally, go to LED lighting to take a little less electrical drag off the car. With all that in mind... here's the log!

I used the template and Google Sketchup to design it. Here's the overall view of that combo...

I designed it to use a 2' high sheet for all the sides and went up from there. This gives me enough room to do what I need and makes it easier to use a 4 x 8 sheet cut in half.

So, I made the new sides... (Ignore all the crap in the background, this new trailer should inspire me to clean it all)

Started the top...

Top almost done...

Found a sheet of coroplast for $5 locally that was larger than a 4x8, so it covered the entire top without using multiple sheets! It was damaged, hence the $5 price tag...

Top opens...

After doing the sides and the top, I decided the floor was pretty trashed, plus the folding feature of the trailer was unneccesary, so I removed the original flooring and bolted the thing together, then added a new sheet...

Threw together a partial belly pan...

Gave the axle bar a tail (used Sketchup and template to give me a good idea on the size/shape) and closed up the bottom...

Ran out of silver duct tape, had to go to my red reserves... lol! (More crap everywhere... swear it'll get cleaned after this trailer's ready!)

Primer all. I will be painting it the same color as my car ultimately...

And finally, where I'm at right now: The tail! Here is the template I'll be using to route out the main frame...

I still have a lot of work to do. The tail is going to be a challenge, but it's mostly designed. Just lots of angles to be had!

I should have most of this trailer done in the next week, weather and time permitting. I'll keep this original post updated.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-23-2014), BamZipPow (06-25-2014), California98Civic (06-26-2014), ChazInMT (06-29-2014), Flakbadger (06-23-2014), JasonG (07-02-2014), oldtamiyaphile (06-24-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-23-2014, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Cool! How about some wheel farings? I'd check the wheel bearings also, they can be a drag of a different type. Neons those years have good power as long as they aren't the 3speed autos. I had a 98 Dohc 5 speed I custom ordered new. I wish I still had it as it was fun and had no problem getting 40. I see you are getting 50.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Volvo 360 - '85 Volvo 360

Peugeot - '01 Peugeot 306
Is there a reason for putting the vertical bars on the outside? Those do creat some drag I think.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
gap

If you can figure a way to kill the gap you're really golden.
BamZipPow (06-25-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joris View Post
Is there a reason for putting the vertical bars on the outside? Those do creat some drag I think.
two things...
-The lined up well with the 2x4's that hold the gates up.
-I needed as much room internally as possible. Do a lot of trash runs, don't want things getting caught up on them from inside.

something to note: The 2x4's are planned to be "aero" as well. I did a 3/4" chamfer on the front. I have a foam cutter on the way and will be doing the boat tail on the end with foam, then glue and paint it in there. Now, that doesn't help the lip on there, but figured I'd mention this. I'll likely add the tail for the lips on the actual boat tail for the full trailer, which should help a bit.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
What are you gonna do with the front of the trailer? What about a deflector, like a scaled-down version of the ones used in the cab of big-rigs, to be mounted in front of the cargo box?
Old 06-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
NoD, it looks great! Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,546 Times in 7,035 Posts
It's looking good so far. Are you going to taper the boattail in plan?

That was a good score, getting >4x8 coroplast for $5.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Cool! How about some wheel farings? I'd check the wheel bearings also, they can be a drag of a different type. Neons those years have good power as long as they aren't the 3speed autos. I had a 98 Dohc 5 speed I custom ordered new. I wish I still had it as it was fun and had no problem getting 40. I see you are getting 50.
I have a sketch of what I'm wanting (using the template, once again), but it'll be a bit before I'm ready to build those. I also did check the wheels, they spin easily and freely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
What are you gonna do with the front of the trailer? What about a deflector, like a scaled-down version of the ones used in the cab of big-rigs, to be mounted in front of the cargo box?
I have that planned out, too. I will make a frame and force cover with coroplast or similar material. Ultimately, I'd like to make a door to it and keep a spare tire and maybe some bungee cords and such in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
It's looking good so far. Are you going to taper the boattail in plan?
Yeah, just like in my diagram in the OP, as well as doing a top-down view taper as well. I've got it planned out, just gotta find the time/motivation to get it done. Hoping to route out from my template today on some ply, but again, time... motivation... blah.

Thanks everybody for the kind comments. Hoping to have this thing at least street usable by this weekend. Tail lights are preventing me at this point, which means I need to get that tail section done!
The Following User Says Thank You to NoD~ For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoD~ View Post
I will make a frame and force cover with coroplast or similar material. Ultimately, I'd like to make a door to it and keep a spare tire and maybe some bungee cords and such in there.
I have seen similar setups in camping trailers.

Reply  Post New Thread