EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   MPG>HP hello! 87 CRX HF 30mpg ??? CRAP (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpg-hp-hello-87-crx-hf-30mpg-crap-27866.html)

Cheech 12-30-2013 08:08 PM

MPG>HP hello! 87 CRX HF 30mpg ??? CRAP

Hi all!! I am new to this fourm since I just signed up, but am not new to reading threads and post, never really cared about FE until I got a delivery job using my own car and gas, so since then I have been on a journey to get max mpg so I can profit doing my job instead of losing money.

Have a volvo 240 wagon 5 speed but get like 20 mpg use to spend 30$ driving it 70 miles a day so all my money went to hell and burned. Still have cause she's a beauty
Then I got a 82 honda civic 5 speed got 33 mpg with ugly running engine but then crashed it so good bye.

Now I picked up 4 days ago( what's suppose to be a king at mpg) 87 honda crx FE, bone stock but with 295k miles, for 1300$
Supposed to have new rebuilt head, new breaks, oil, and new carburetor, clutch
But these guys where backyard mechanics. I have been averaging 30 mpg mixed driving doing my delivers 177 miles for 6 gallons of gas, I don't know why I'm getting 30mpg with good driving habits, when other HF running in crap condition are getting minimum 40 mpg, feel like I, getting robbed hard core. And it's pissing me off. Also it idles at 2000rpms which makes me think it's running rich

Anyways my thinking is these backyard mechanic who previously owned the car took well care of the car, interior is very clean for this car, high milage, runs smooth, but I think he didn't know anything about carburetors, just slapped on a new one and bam back down to 30mpg, so I think this isn't tuned right or jetted right, but could that be the case? My tires are properly inflated and everything

I. Just wonder how can this. HF get horrible milage, this milage is what I got on my volvo 850 turbo 330hp, I'm just trying to figure what what can I check to get to at least 40mpg, if not it's going back on craigslist!!

Thanks you all!!

California98Civic 12-31-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheech (Post 404946)
Hi all!! I am new to this fourm since I just signed up, but am not new to reading threads and post, never really cared about FE until I got a delivery job using my own car and gas, so since then I have been on a journey to get max mpg so I can profit doing my job instead of losing money.

Have a volvo 240 wagon 5 speed but get like 20 mpg use to spend 30$ driving it 70 miles a day so all my money went to hell and burned. Still have cause she's a beauty
Then I got a 82 honda civic 5 speed got 33 mpg with ugly running engine but then crashed it so good bye.

Now I picked up 4 days ago( what's suppose to be a king at mpg) 87 honda crx FE, bone stock but with 295k miles, for 1300$
Supposed to have new rebuilt head, new breaks, oil, and new carburetor, clutch
But these guys where backyard mechanics. I have been averaging 30 mpg mixed driving doing my delivers 177 miles for 6 gallons of gas, I don't know why I'm getting 30mpg with good driving habits, when other HF running in crap condition are getting minimum 40 mpg, feel like I, getting robbed hard core. And it's pissing me off. Also it idles at 2000rpms which makes me think it's running rich

Anyways my thinking is these backyard mechanic who previously owned the car took well care of the car, interior is very clean for this car, high milage, runs smooth, but I think he didn't know anything about carburetors, just slapped on a new one and bam back down to 30mpg, so I think this isn't tuned right or jetted right, but could that be the case? My tires are properly inflated and everything

I. Just wonder how can this. HF get horrible milage, this milage is what I got on my volvo 850 turbo 330hp, I'm just trying to figure what what can I check to get to at least 40mpg, if not it's going back on craigslist!!

Thanks you all!!

What a disappointment. Can you go back to them? Do you have the factory shop manual? The Honda service manuals have good troubleshooting materials. I'll bet you can find it freeonline with a determined search. Have you checked all the basic routine maintainence stuff (such as airfilter)? Seems like you probably have. Also, you can check and compare parts online fairly well, for insrance, using a site such as majestic honda: Honda Automotive Parts

elhigh 01-01-2014 09:43 AM

Hi,
One owner posted a 30+mpg listing for his 240 wagon on here, but he never posted anything else. There's lots of room for stealthy aero mods on a 240 - the underside is just crying for a belly pan.

If my 240 hadn't been munched in a rearender early 2013, that would have been the first place I would have started with my aeromods. There are yawning canyons underneath those old moosebusters, and I want another one, bad.

Your HF only getting 30 is just bonkers. Put that thing on stands and check for dragging brakes, esp. in the rear. If they said they put on new brakes they may have failed to dial the shoe pistons back in or something.

Front alignment might be wonky. With the modest output of that little mill, you can give up a lot of power just to overpowering pigeon toed fronts.

And of course the engine. This will require some old school sleuthing, since there's no EFI computer to throw you codes and point toward likely problems. I don't have much advice for you there except to buy some jets and find a friendly emissions tester who will let you come back and dial in your mix.

Also be sure the exhaust isn't bollixed.

_Turtle_ 02-27-2015 12:42 AM

Stock idle on the hf is 600 rpm. ..2k is extreme high...adjust the idle way down. ..and also check for vacuum leaks. .I have a 87 hf..and am fixing It for mpg...my idle was 1500...fixed 7 vacuum leaks now I idle at 750

elhigh 02-27-2015 08:46 AM

I think he's gone

The OP only ever made the one post and never another.

Too bad, I would have been curious to see how things came out. My wife doesn't like them because they're too small to suit her, but I like the old CRX Civics.