EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   MPG? Who cares! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpg-who-cares-18176.html)

user removed 07-15-2011 10:37 PM

MPG? Who cares!

2 Attachment(s)
Got to ride in this baby at Pop's tribute. Navy version of the Texan. It was an experience to fly over a grass strip field where a flyable B17 was parked.

regards
Mech

Cd 07-15-2011 10:55 PM

Nice !
Big aviation fan myself.

slowmover 07-15-2011 10:56 PM

Lucky dog. I recall reading as a youngster about the convoy system; that the tankers carrying 130-octane avgas were quite vulnerable. Very brave men. Years later came across the reference that American refineries all produced this poteen for warbirds exclusively for the duration. Never again. I understand that TEXACO made some fairly hot juice for the RENO UNLIMITED races.

Can't find the pics tonite but there was a gathering of F8 Bearcats at the NAS Corpus Christi Airshow a few years ago. Love the sound of the starters, alone.

Radial engines are, bar none, the best sound of the 20th Century.

My father trained on Corsairs then the war ended. My FIL had over 55-types in his logbook, 1942-1946.

Congrats to the old guys. Miss mine (gone these past few years).

SwamiSalami 07-15-2011 10:57 PM

James May is lusting over this.

Cd 07-15-2011 11:09 PM

Speaking of 'fuel economy' and aircraft, I always found it interesting that the SR-71 was designed with fuel tanks that would leak untill the aircraft reached a certain speed and sealed the tanks through gap compression. As we all know, the plane would be nearly empty of fuel just after takeoff and would have to immediately meet up with a waiting tanker to refuel.
Does anyone know if the Air Force made any attempts at collecting the fuel that would leak from the plane ?
I had never read of the MIG-25 having this problem, but then it was contructed mostly of steel.

Joenavy85 07-16-2011 09:28 AM

The Mig never had the design feature due mostly to the steel construction. The Blackbird was built of titanium which expanded in size with increased temps (and actually got stronger over time due to the heat). I do know that after missions the canopy would be almost 600*F and they had to wait to exit the plane due to the heat.

The SNJ has always been one of my favorite WW2 era planes (after the P-51 Mustang and the F8F Bearcat) I've never flown in an SNJ, but have flown in a T-6

Joenavy85 07-16-2011 09:29 AM

Also, it wasn't the tanks that leaked, they actually used the fuel as a cooling element for parts of the fuselage.

rm12577 07-16-2011 01:50 PM

two years ago I got to fly the "aluminum overcast" B17 that is owned by the EAA. We flew it from Austin to Oklahoma City, I only got to sit at the controls and follow the gps for like 10 minutes but it was definitely a once in a lifetime thing with how few of those old birds are still flying today.

Arragonis 07-18-2011 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 250533)
...I always found it interesting that the SR-71 was designed with fuel tanks that would leak untill the aircraft reached a certain speed and sealed the tanks through gap compression...

I once read that the middle toilets on Concorde had a sliding door as the fuselage would lengthen by 2-3 inches at Mach 2+ due to heat friction so a solid one, which opened lengthways instead of sideways, wouldn't close properly.

Fancy paying all that money for a ticket and then having to sing / whistle whilst on the throne, with your foot against the door.

JethroBodine 07-18-2011 06:16 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know if the Air Force made any attempts at collecting the fuel that would leak from the plane ?
Cd - I can't verify SPECIFICALLY about reclamation of SR71 fuel, but 6-7 years ago I was briefly involved with fuel reclamation on an ex military runway that involved pumping air into the ground under the concrete and collecting/condensing the fuel out of the air as it came back out. I saw about a dozen of these setups with 300? gallon collection tanks and was told they were emptied every day or so. I though it was awesome to see the military cleaning up after themselves instead of just burying it's problems( pun intended).

bwilson4web 07-18-2011 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowmover (Post 250528)
. . .
Radial engines are, bar none, the best sound of the 20th Century.
. . .

Merlin at +400 mph . . . <sigh>

Bob Wilson

Joenavy85 07-18-2011 08:17 PM

I'll stay neutral on that one and say that there is nothing cooler than listening to all the Unlimited Gold racers at the start of the race when they do their high altitude fly-over. The higher pitch of the Merlin running maxed out is cool, but then again so is the big P&W R-4360 of Rare Bear.

Joenavy85 07-18-2011 08:25 PM

Round Sounds Volume 1 from Aircraft Records (http://www.oldplanes.com/sounds.htm) has a few really cool tracks from the Unlimited Race at Reno, as well as Rare Bear's Qualifying Lap, in which he covered the ~8.5 Mile course in 1 Minute 10.5 Seconds

gone-ot 07-18-2011 09:52 PM

...the WR3350 engines in the USN P2V Neptune named "Truckulent Turtle" were also VERY efficient: 34%...ie: SPFC of 0.38 lb/hp/hr!

...and, when turbo-compounded, that went down to SPFC of 0.325 lb/hp/hr at 60% HP and 30,000' altitude!

...in our 'Connies, that was ~100 gallons per hour, per engine, at maxium 'cruise (180 knot) airspeed and 10,000' altitude.

larrybuck 07-18-2011 11:57 PM

Though my Dad turned 86 today, the typical work day week situation caused my brother, and I to celebrate it w him yesterday.

Our rollercoaster summer weather here ( it rained most of yesterday) caused us to go to plan C of how to entertain him for the day.

We went to the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum near McMinnville, OR.
My Dad had never been before, so it was great!
The SPRUCE GOOSE is there, which my Dad had previously seen down in CA.

Anyway, I saw a couple of nice small KIT planes. One was referred to as a favorite as that company claimed a 90% customer completion rate. I have no idea how expensive these kits would have been to buy. I wonder in current times, as in car regulations, if new kits are even legal anymore!

Last yr., Bro, and I gave the present of a glider ride for Dad. This yr., one option for him to chew on is a possible Hot air Balloon ride.

I learned last year, that there is a wonderful glider that can be bought w an electric motor so it can take off w/o a tow, and therefore in a slightly close quartered way, similar to motorcycle baggage capacities; could in theory make cross country trips.
Sounds great until you hear a six figure price.

Are any of you out there Airo-Modders????

I guess for about $4000.00, I could get a SINGLE person ultralite which I am told; because its a 1 person, no pilot's license is required.

Anyone with experience with any of this????

I'd love to find a cheaper glider type motor (only for takeoffs or emergencies) airplane w like a small motorcycle, or other small eng. to be built in kit form? or from scratch . Could you imagine how much fun it would be do to accomplish something like that on the same budget level one would have for aero modding a '92-94 Metro, and have it all legal?????????????

dcb 07-19-2011 12:18 AM

I've looked into ultralights plenty. 255lbs powered is hard to do anything really aero, mostly just hang glider style or parachute style. I suppose someone could do a balsa and monocote thing, but it comes up against a 55mph limit and 25mph stall speed then. Lots of room for aerodynamic improvement though.

this is pretty much at the limits of what you can do within the constraints
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjpicsvideos.htm
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/N2.JPG

here is a page All About Ultralights - FAQs on getting started flying an ultralight aircraft.

1. What is an Ultralight Aircraft?
Ultralights are defined and operate under simple guidelines specified in FAR Part 103. A summary of the rule is provided here:

Single occupant only for recreation or sport purposes with 5 gallons maximum fuel.

Unpowered free flight empty weight under 155 pounds or powered weighs under 254 excluding floats or safety devices.

55 knots maximum calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight, power-off maximum stall speed 24 knots calibrated.

Can be inspected by FAA to make sure it meets criteria as an ultralight.

Vehicle not required to meet any airworthiness certification standards

Pilot not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate or to have airman or medical certificates.

Not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

No operation is allowed that creates a hazard to other persons or property.

Only operate between sunrise and sunset unless equipped with a suitable anti collision light extending flight time to twilight periods 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.

Yield the right-of-way to all aircraft and not create a collision hazard with any aircraft.

Do not operate an over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

All operations are conducted in uncontrolled airspace unless prior authorization from the ATC facility to operate in within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport.

Must comply with flight restrictions in the proximity of certain areas designated by Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TRF).

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle except by visual reference with the surface.

Visibility and cloud clearances similar to general aviation airspace. (see www.asa2fly.com for the specific FAR 103)

Arragonis 07-19-2011 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JethroBodine (Post 250929)
Cd - I can't verify SPECIFICALLY about reclamation of SR71 fuel, but...

Is this because of the black helicopters ? :D

Arragonis 07-19-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 250937)

Bob Wilson

+1 - especially 6 of them, ~300 feet, over your house (see smiles thread).

basjoos 07-19-2011 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcb (Post 250986)
I've looked into ultralights plenty. 255lbs powered is hard to do anything really aero, mostly just hang glider style or parachute style. I suppose someone could do a balsa and monocote thing, but it comes up against a 55mph limit and 25mph stall speed then. Lots of room for aerodynamic improvement though.

this is pretty much at the limits of what you can do within the constraints
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/zjpicsvideos.htm
http://www.interplaneaircraft.com/N2.JPG

here is a page All About Ultralights - FAQs on getting started flying an ultralight aircraft.

1. What is an Ultralight Aircraft?
Ultralights are defined and operate under simple guidelines specified in FAR Part 103. A summary of the rule is provided here:

Single occupant only for recreation or sport purposes with 5 gallons maximum fuel.

Unpowered free flight empty weight under 155 pounds or powered weighs under 254 excluding floats or safety devices.

55 knots maximum calibrated airspeed at full power in level flight, power-off maximum stall speed 24 knots calibrated.

Can be inspected by FAA to make sure it meets criteria as an ultralight.

Vehicle not required to meet any airworthiness certification standards

Pilot not required to meet any aeronautical knowledge, age, or experience requirements to operate or to have airman or medical certificates.

Not required to be registered or to bear markings of any type.

No operation is allowed that creates a hazard to other persons or property.

Only operate between sunrise and sunset unless equipped with a suitable anti collision light extending flight time to twilight periods 30 minutes before sunrise and 30 minutes after sunset.

Yield the right-of-way to all aircraft and not create a collision hazard with any aircraft.

Do not operate an over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons.

All operations are conducted in uncontrolled airspace unless prior authorization from the ATC facility to operate in within Class A, Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace, or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport.

Must comply with flight restrictions in the proximity of certain areas designated by Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and Temporary Flight Restrictions (TRF).

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle except by visual reference with the surface.

Visibility and cloud clearances similar to general aviation airspace. (see ASA: Home Page for the specific FAR 103)

Look up the Cumulus ultralight motor glider. There are some aeromod possibilities there by enclosing the cockpit and fairing the wheels.

slowmover 07-20-2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 250937)

Bob Wilson

Well, a V-configured engine ain't a radial, but it's very, very, nice.

My FIL spent a part of WWII ferrying P-51 Mustangs from where they were built in Dallas out to Long Beach (and back) to have the famous bubble-top installed. Refueled both in Tucson and El Paso. The "tough part of the job" (as he'd put it) was that the engines had to be run to the "War Emergency Power" setting every so many hours . . in a controlled dive.

If he leaned hard on the daylight operating hours rules he could make a roundtrip in one day. And did, numerous times. 2,500-miles + per round trip. Now, having been born in 1919 and endured the one to two day trip each way from near Corpus Christi to Austin to visit family via Model T (180-miles), you might imagine how it felt to wake up and go to this job in the morning, ha!!

gone-ot 07-20-2011 06:41 PM

...our WR3350 engines used "water-methanol" injection--145,000 lbs takeoff weight was a LOT to get off the ground in hot-humid weather.