Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 08:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pics of my Spiffie.org MPGuino

All,

I finally got my Spiffie.org MPGuino working, and although it is not in an enclosure yet, here are some pics (Sorry for the poor quality phone camera):

I removed the polarization film and cut it up and rotated it to achieve the inverted effect.

This is where I mounted my buttons. It turned out very nice!

I hardwired it, I did not use the phone jack and flat wire. I did not like the wire coming out of the side, I want it to be as small as possible.

Now it is all about getting it calibrated and hoping it will help minimize the effects of the cold weather on my FE. This is a great project, and would recommend it to anyone who cannot afford a ScanGuage.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-06-2008, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Definitely like the button mounts,
Old 11-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MR2 Turbo - '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)
Are those the buttons that came with the kit? How did you mount them to your trim so they were solid? If you cant find an enclosure you like you could put a black vinyl sticker on the inside of the window, that way it hides everything when you look in from the outside of the car. Looks Great, Cant wait to get mine.......still on back order

ERIK
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Thats cool with the buttons, Ill have to see how you did it. I might do something like that with mine in the 6000 wagon. Im thinking of using an iduino, theres a perfect spot in the dash piece next to the vent and shift indicator and the freeduino would probably be too big.

Also you can see the cruise buttons I made last year from an old end mill container. It works. For this car I dont care so much, its my winter beater.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Old 11-14-2008, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, those are the buttons that came in the kit. I picked up a project board from the local RS and cut it down to fit. It is secured with hot glue to the inside of the trim piece. I know how you feel, waited 30 days for mine

I am getting the calibration down, took a drive down to Cadillac today and tweaked the VSS setting. Looks like I am within about .2 miles between the tripmeter and the MPGuino after 100 miles. MPG's still suck due to the weather tho.

Here's pics:
Topside of the trim piece. The hardest part was locating the 1/8" holes accurately. I had to use a 1/2" dia. drill on the botton side to create a recess for the body of the switches, as the buttons were not high enough to stick through the thick plastic far enough.

Bottom of the trim piece over steering wheel area. Hot glued project board with buttons to it.

Quick and dirty case made from cardboard, covered with vinyl and wide electrical tape. Price was right.

Reply  Post New Thread