Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG

OregonTrailer - '02 Subaru Forester S
90 day: 23.31 mpg (US)
Question SeaFoam on +110k auto..?

Does anyone have any success/horror stories, or, just words of wisdom on seafoaming an old car? I have an '02 Subaru Forester that could use a pick-me-up but, I'm worried about dislodging old gunk and build up in the engine that has the potential to do more harm than good if not evacuated properly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Elise - '13 Hyundai Elantra GLS
I don't know much about the science behind it, but I recently used Seafoam in the gas tank of a car with 183k miles with no negative effects. I'm not sure how much of a measurable benefit it gave, although it seemed to run more smoothly afterwards.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you use it in the engine oil, change the oil shortly afterwards. It does work somewhat but it's no substitution for taking things apart and scrubbing. The biggest place that needs to be cleaned is the intake manifold which becomes gunked up from the PCV system.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
i have always had good luck with it until recently used it in the wife's rav4 with 120000km in it and now the valve seals are leaking pretty badly... but it runs and starts smoother...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
i have always had good luck with it until recently used it in the wife's rav4 with 120000km in it and now the valve seals are leaking pretty badly... but it runs and starts smoother...
This sounds more like coincidence than cause/effect to me. Probably your old seals were about to go anyway, or you noticed the leak because you were paying closer attention. I bet they're not related.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

chrisgerman1983 - '96 chevrolet astro
90 day: 14.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
This sounds more like coincidence than cause/effect to me. Probably your old seals were about to go anyway, or you noticed the leak because you were paying closer attention. I bet they're not related.
possibly? but its blowing smoke on startup and it never did before? I just assumed that it cleaned some gunk out that was stopping the seals from leaking? I used it in the intake and the oil, and then did an oil change. Could thinner oil cause leaks?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgerman1983 View Post
possibly? but its blowing smoke on startup and it never did before? I just assumed that it cleaned some gunk out that was stopping the seals from leaking? I used it in the intake and the oil, and then did an oil change. Could thinner oil cause leaks?
If right, then the sea foam helped you diagnose a problem needing attention. If wrong, then you have still correctly noticed a leak needing attention. The sea foam was more like a diagnostic tool than cause. I don't imagine the thinness of the oil could cause instant leaking, though maybe long term if it increases wear on parts. I wonder what others with more experience think.

??
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
thinner than recommended oil could cause problems. it is also possible that the seafoam did clear away some gunk and now allows oil to seep down the valve. personally, because i have always had used cars that are over or well over 100k miles, i use 10-40 oil. it helps with valve tick and smoking.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

seafoam in the gas tank is probably a good idea.

changing the fuel filter is a better idea.

sea foam in the crankcase is a good idea if you have sticking lifters or something like that. I would not expect sea foam to give a "pick me up".

what are the symptoms you are subaru is showing?
Old 06-05-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Seafoam maybe hard on plastic lines

buddy of mine used seafoam on his 87 trailblazer and soon his feul injection "spider" (lil hoses that throw the fuel to cyclinders on the 4.3 v6) where all hard and developed pin holes after new feul pump, line then finally the "spider" and supply hoses he only had the problem after he added the seafoam..not sure was cause but he blames it lol

Reply  Post New Thread