EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer (https://ecomodder.com/forum/opengauge-mpguino-fe-computer.html)
-   -   MPGuino- Out of Stock? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpguino-out-stock-24430.html)

gijoe985 12-29-2012 01:51 AM

MPGuino- Out of Stock?

Anyone know of a place that has the kits in stock? Everywhere I have checked says that they're out...

meelis11 12-29-2012 03:56 PM

Hi,
you can get one from here:
MPGuino trip computer - MPGuino

JellyBeanDriver 12-29-2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gijoe985 (Post 347576)
Anyone know of a place that has the kits in stock? Everywhere I have checked says that they're out...

see my signature.

gijoe985 12-29-2012 11:34 PM

Thanks guys!

AaronMartinSole 01-06-2013 08:51 PM

My 92 Civic DX has a broken speedometer. I haven't started troubleshooting but just in case I can't fix it, I was thinking about using a mpguino as a substitute to know my speed and my RPMs, and of course, fuel economy. Also the car doesn't come with a tachometer, which I think measures RPM.

Can I use the mpguino to see my instant RPM and my instant speed in miles instead of kilometers?

JellyBeanDriver 01-06-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole (Post 349334)
My 92 Civic DX has a broken speedometer. I haven't started troubleshooting but just in case I can't fix it, I was thinking about using a mpguino as a substitute to know my speed and my RPMs, and of course, fuel economy. Also the car doesn't come with a tachometer, which I think measures RPM.

Can I use the mpguino to see my instant RPM and my instant speed in miles instead of kilometers?

The original MPGuino will not show RPM. Maybe Meelis version does ?

My metro, the vehicle speed sensor is in the speedometer. Broken Metro speedometer = no VSS signal so the MPGuino wouldn't help. Don't know if the Honda VSS is different.

AaronMartinSole 01-06-2013 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver (Post 349336)
The original MPGuino will not show RPM. Maybe Meelis version does ?

My metro, the vehicle speed sensor is in the speedometer. Broken Metro speedometer = no VSS signal so the MPGuino wouldn't help. Don't know if the Honda VSS is different.

Oh, very good to know. The previous owner said it was the VSS. Someone said it might be the cable. No idea, I'll have to read up and troubleshoot. You don't have to answer this, I'm going to google it, but my speedometer is just completely erratic. So it's not completely flat and dead. I just bought this Civic. I mean it just whips back and forth and everywhere, and occasionally actually displays my actual speed, lol. Pretty sure the last guy put in a new speedometer too, because the mileage is inaccurate. Don't think he meant to commit odometer fraud, maybe just tried to replace the part to fix it, but it didn't work. Might be the speedometer head I read somewhere.

I guess if I can't fix it, could I install an aftermarket speedometer?

Really hoping there's a mpguino version that shows RPMs and speed in real-time. But like you said, probably depends on reading the VSS. Gotta check that. But regardless, is there an mpguino version that does that?

edit: fixed my speedometer! It was just a corroded connector! Baking soda, water, and a wire brush fixed it up!

meelis11 01-07-2013 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole (Post 349355)
Really hoping there's a mpguino version that shows RPMs and speed in real-time. But like you said, probably depends on reading the VSS. Gotta check that. But regardless, is there an mpguino version that does that?

edit: fixed my speedometer! It was just a corroded connector! Baking soda, water, and a wire brush fixed it up!

Good that you got it fixed!

Anyway, some nice "gauges" my mpguinos can show are RPM, instant speed, battery voltage, consumption in hour (liters/hour or gallons/hour), DTE (distance to empty)

Of course you need working VSS and injector signal

Meelis

nickdigger 01-07-2013 03:38 PM

Aaron, for a tach, you should look for a cheap used cluster from an EX or LX. It's plug-n-play, no extra wiring necessary. The mpguino will give you a more accurate RPM reading, but for driving purposes you can't beat analog gauges.

Quezacotl 01-08-2013 05:42 AM

Dunno if this is over-advertising, but i have stock too, see my sig :)

Davinator61 02-10-2013 08:07 PM

Hey JellyBeanDriver, I'd like to order an MPGuino from your DSchmidt Technologies site in the near future (before the end of September is a reasonable goal, is it not?), instead of from Central or Eastern Europe, like the other two sellers are doing. If you're still in business at that time, I'll place my order when finances allow. Just one thing, though, who would have the Pulses Per Minute data for the VSS off of a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L AW4 Automatic Transmission's Hall Effect or equivalent Electronic Speed Sensor? If you, or any other Ecomodders could find out for me, I'd REALLY appreciate it. Thanks in advance.../8/

JellyBeanDriver 02-11-2013 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davinator61 (Post 355872)
Hey JellyBeanDriver, I'd like to order an MPGuino from your DSchmidt Technologies site in the near future (

No worries. I'll be here.

As far as using a hall effect signal, that will be fine. If it's only a raw AC waveform, that could be problematic.

In regards to pulse/min for speed, you can use the default settings (my Geo Metro's setting) and drive a known distance, figure out the difference and adjust the counts accordingly. Even if you start with the 'correct' values, one should always perform a distance and MPG calibration as even the same make and model can can be different with different fuel blends and different gearing/tires.

razor02097 02-11-2013 12:50 PM

JellyBeanDriver's MPGuino has worked flawlessly for me. Shipping couldn't have been quicker if I drove to Cali myself! If he/she isn't in business in September I would suspect foul play.

Here is the wiki on calibrating the MPGuino. It's pretty straight forward.
Mpguino calibration - EcoModder

IIRC the VSS for a Jeep is 8000PPM... but calibrating your MPGuino using the wiki is best.

Davinator61 02-11-2013 02:49 PM

My understanding is that the Pulses Per Driveshaft Revolution (8 PPDR, in the case of MOST Jeep Products from 1991 thru 2001 or so) is a more accurate determining factor in MPGuino calibration than just Pulses Per Mile or Pulses Per Minute, especially since Jeeps have their differential(s) AFTER the VSS on the transmission/transfer case output shaft.

If I'm correct about this, then I'd have to factor in Differential Pinion-to-Ring Rotational Ratios as part of the equation, or between 3.55 & 4.10 to 1, in the case of my 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0L I-6 with the AW4 4-speed transmission, NP242 transfer case, Dana35 rear axle, and High-Cut-Pinion Dana30 front axle.

All calibration attempts I make will need to be confirmed with my TomTomOne GPS at 60 MPH on the local Freeway System, that is Interstate 5 and/or WA State Highway 167, both within a SHORT driving distance from where I live. I'll post my results once I've logged AND confirmed them...(8D.

94-turbo 04-14-2013 01:20 AM

Gm diesels have an electronic pump mounted driver (PMD), it uses a resistor to calibrate the PMD to the ip pump #1-#9. Has anyone tried to see if there is fuel pump duration output that would work on the MPGunio? I want to purchase a MPGunio for my 1994 gm diesel truck.