EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   MPGuino questions. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/mpguino-questions-32533.html)

chettej 08-09-2015 03:14 PM

MPGuino questions.

So I just bought a 92 civic vx and im just getting into the ecomodding world and just wanting to improve my MPG to the fullest. My question is I keep seeing everyone talk about the mpguino and saying its a must if your trying to save mpg. My question is why ? what does the mpguino do besides just give you feed back of your mpg ? or does it mod something in the fuel injection to ecu connection to actually improve mpg ? any and all responses are greatly appreciated !

chettej 08-10-2015 12:56 PM

Any info would be great !

BabyDiesel 08-10-2015 01:17 PM

OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Read your heart away! :thumbup:

dirtydave 08-10-2015 01:29 PM

it helps you drive smarter, letting you know what mpg you get right now and each trip so you know how to improve. you have a old car so a scangauge doesn't work mpguino is the alternative.

chettej 08-10-2015 01:36 PM

Thank you guys, so pretty it just helps me control my foot and how much I accelerate! I just keep seeing everyone says their a must buy for saving mpg. Do you guys agree??

dirtydave 08-10-2015 02:02 PM

you will break even in a month with one.

chettej 08-10-2015 02:24 PM

For the cost of one ? How so just cause it shows your driving habits in real time?

dirtydave 08-10-2015 03:27 PM

because you will save fuel if you try to use less fuel it shows you that in real time

chettej 08-10-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirtydave (Post 489574)
because you will save fuel if you try to use less fuel it shows you that in real time

...? Can you reread read that it didn't really make sense.
I guess what I can ask is how will I try to save the fuel? Hypermiling I'm assuming? Since it'll show the fuel that I try save? I know this may be a stupid question I'm just trying to get a handle on everything

dirtydave 08-10-2015 03:41 PM

it will show you instant mpg

the mpg you get everysecond

drive like a racecar driver it will show low mpg
drive like a champion trying to save fuel you will get high mpg

I can move my foot up or down on the gas to hold 55 but I can see the least amount of gas I need. I can tell in my car anything over 64mph is low mpg or under 32mph I now know I need to drive with a light foot between 32mph-64mph

I would have never known this without a mpg gauge

chettej 08-10-2015 03:45 PM

Ahh ok so it tells you right there, hey you need to let up of the pedal to get better mpg right at that moment. Thank you for your help dirtydave, I was just trying to get a straight forward answer on what exactly it does and how it helps. Cause I was thinking hell I could save the money I'd spend on one by just figuring up my mpg myself from my odometer and gallons of gas out in my civic

chettej 08-10-2015 03:48 PM

Ahh ok so it'll tell your right then and there hey you need to let off the gas pedal some to achieve better mpg. Thank you for your help and response dirtydave, I was just trying to figure out exactly what the mpguino does cause I was thinking hell I could save that money but just calculating my mpg from my odometer and gallons of gas put in the car.

H-Man 08-10-2015 09:36 PM

If you have a VX, it is very useful. It makes it easier to tell if you are in lean burn.
On my car, you need something to keep an eye on injector pulse width since you can't feel the engine drop out of DFCO and the next lower gear isn't low enough to get the engine back into DFCO.

chettej 08-11-2015 12:35 AM

H-man thank you for your response! Is there any website or link you could post that I could read more about the lean burn in the vx. Because that's what a just got a 92 civic vx, I'm currently deployed right now and I'm just trying to learn everything I can so when I get home I can work on my vx and get it running tip tip at highest mpg possible.

Just something for me to understand the lean burn.

pete c 08-11-2015 09:03 AM

The short answer is, it does not affect your ECU at all. It affects YOU.

I think the main thing it does is let you know when more throttle is no help. Engines are most efficient at a fairly high load, but this is not the same thing as full throttle. At low rpms, high load is actually a very low throttle opening. Anything more is wasteful.

chettej 08-11-2015 09:19 AM

Ok I'll just have to install it and see how it works I guess. Does it literally say less throttle or more throttle to reach lean burn? And I've read if you have a mpguino you don't really need a vacuum gauge
, what you goes think?

BabyDiesel 08-11-2015 03:47 PM

It does not tell you to use more or less throttle, that would get too annoying too fast :)

The way it will tell you that you are in lean burn is by the injector pulse width. It will change when entering lean burn, and you will notice a loss in power when your car enters lean burn. I've never driven a VX, so one of the members who have will have to tell you how yo get in lean burn.

And yes, a vacuum gauge will not be needed. If you find a BSFC map for the D15Z1 engine, that will tell you the load needed at certain RPMs to have the most efficient acceleration and cruise.

chettej 08-11-2015 04:10 PM

Haha I'm sure it would get annoying! Thanks baby diesel, hopefully I'll be able to feel it go into lean burn. And come out of lean burn like the other vx guys. And get my mpguino set up to assist with me figuring what exactly is lean burn and what isn't. From my understand lean burn is between 1500-2000 rpm

BabyDiesel 08-11-2015 04:33 PM

I've heard going into lean burn is very noticeable in the VX. Once again, no personal data.

IIRC, lean burn is determined by a certain range of MAP values. A cool note for you is the better your aero, the faster you drive in lean burn. Basjoos can drive over 70, perhaps 80, while in lean burn. Stock highest mph in LB mode is 60 or so?

chettej 08-11-2015 05:22 PM

Looks like I'll have to drive and see when I get home. I already ordered a mpguino since everyone is so addiment about having one and it paying for itself. Is basjoos another ecomodder on here?

I'm slightly mechanically inclined to do things, if I have instructions I can pretty much do it, so as far as aero mods go I may do some but i don't know if I'll have the skill to do wheel covers, and kammbacks. But if it enables faster speeds while maintaining mpg I just may have to learn !
Thanks for your knowledge babydiesel

BabyDiesel 08-11-2015 08:42 PM

Is basjoos a member??!?.... He is a legend, no other way to put it.

Aerocivic - Honda Civic modifications for maximum gas mileage - aerocivic.com

Check out The Donkey CRX on here too. He is a master, averaging over 92 mpg the past 90 days in his VX :eek:

And yes, they really do pay for themselves. I have saved an estimated $775 in just one year of serious eco driving! Basjoos has saved thousands.

We can talk you through quite a bunch on here :thumbup: I never would have thought that I had the skills to do anything to my car. A year later, I'm fixing to build a kammback and have a bunch of aero mods already under my belt. I learned how to solder and properly disconnect the entire drivetrain from my car just to install an underdrive crank pulley lol!

Use the search bar to look up different aero mods. People on here usually write detailed explanations of how the mods are built and attached.

And you are welcome! Thank you for your service for our freedom!

chettej 08-12-2015 05:33 AM

Haha ok ok I'll have to look basjoos up! And I've looked at donkey crx some! But makes not feel so bad about spending money on the mpguino since it will save me so much money! Cause I'm trying to save every dime I can over here while away from the family!

That's exactly what I want to strive to do once I get home, be able to do anything to my civic! I plan to keep it till she dies and then maybe get another d15z1 engine and a HF transmission lol. But I'm actually thinking of ordering an electrical book to learn more about soldering so I can hook up the mpguino when I do get home ! I will for sure look into aero modding on here and the link! Thanks for it!

Thank you for your support aswell!