Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModder Blog Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
If GM Wants to Look “Green,” it Can’t Skip Events Like HybridFest

None of the modderators have started a thread on this, so I guess I will... hope they don't mind.

I just wanted to say that it's frustrating to see how some of the manufacturers are not responding to the demand for more efficient vehicles. I know there may be a lot of reasons why they haven't, but it seems pretty suicidal for a company to not respond to market demand.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2008, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
VIVA LA MPG RESISTANCE

Meat-roll - '97 Geo Metro
Team Metro
90 day: 55.4 mpg (US)

Wife's Brruik - '03 Buick Century
90 day: 30.84 mpg (US)

Blue Balt - '08 Chevrolet Cobalt XFE
Team Chevy
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I think it may be because GM is interested in "looking" green. They seem to have no real interest in being green. When you look at the advances made by Toyota and Honda and the pollution free Subaru plants, GM just does not stack up.

The real loser in all of this, I think, is Chrysler. They have a great opportunity to quick design a high MPG car, cause a big roar about it exploiting the apparent weakness of the other "big 2", and maybe get their company headed a different direction other than down.

The Prius has shown that there is a market for higher priced MPG cars. They do not have to sell in the bottom end of the price market like the Metro did. There is money to be made here....
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
lots of money to be made. If Gm rereleased the ev1 (watch who killed the electric car? if you don't know about it) today and mass produced one i think they would sell alot. it had enough range (70 miles) for most people and fast enough speed. They already have the technology, it isn't new technology. I think they would sell if they put effort in, price and advertisement. People will accept the limited range if you tell them that it is good enough and show price savings.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
My hope is that GM actually planned to release the Volt earlier than they are saying. They'd look like heros if they did, not to mention beating a number of other foreign manufacturers to the market that are intending copy the Volt.

As for Ford, I send them an e-mail at least once a week, begging them to step up. They often reply, too. For the first time, I think that GM and Ford are positioning themselves to make the kinds of cars that I would want to buy. I hope to see more evidence of it, however.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arminius View Post
My hope is that GM actually planned to release the Volt earlier than they are saying....
Ya really need to fall asleep before you start dreaming...
But I hope you're right. I really, really do. Not that I'd be able to afford one, but the sooner the technology hits the market, the sooner it will trickle down to us poor folk.
I grew up in a Ford family, so I've also been disappointed in their apparent lack of willingness to play the game. Placing little green leaves on their SUV's just don't cut it.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Future EV Owner

Wannabe - '05 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 40.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
Ya really need to fall asleep before you start dreaming...
Yeah, I saw an update on the Volt last night and they interviewed some important people from GM who seemed cautious about saying they could make the car by 2010.

Quote:
But I hope you're right. I really, really do. Not that I'd be able to afford one, but the sooner the technology hits the market, the sooner it will trickle down to us poor folk.
Exactly my feeling. I agree with Clark Howard, who always says that he and other rich people should feel obligated to buy the first release of any green technology, because the first release is usually unbelievably expensive. A wise rich person would wait a few years, but a patriotic one would be wise to buy it right away. That way the initial production costs are absorbed quicky, and larger scale, more efficient production can get underway.

Quote:
I grew up in a Ford family, so I've also been disappointed in their apparent lack of willingness to play the game. Placing little green leaves on their SUV's just don't cut it.
If you mean you wish they would have those on the small cars (because they are hybrids), I agree.