EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Muffler needs replacing - anything in particular I should go for? ('92 Metro) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/muffler-needs-replacing-anything-particular-i-should-go-13268.html)

Crono 05-17-2010 02:12 PM

Muffler needs replacing - anything in particular I should go for? ('92 Metro)

I did notice another post in here regarding something vaguely similar, but my question is a little simpler - I need to replace my muffler pretty soon and I'm wondering if just a plain old regular muffler is good? I drive a '92 Geo Metro with the xfi cam mod, but other than that it's mostly normal. (3 cylinder) I don't know if it's just me, but I've noticed with these cars that the low-end torque really goes down the tubes when the muffler is no good, and, consequently my mileage seems to go down as well.

I dunno, maybe it's just my imagination but that's how it seems.

Anyway - is there any definitive evidence showing that the type of muffler I get is going to be making a big difference? Most of what I see regarding mufflers and fuel economy is either fairly speculative or situational. (IE If you are driving a big block V8, then it's a good idea). I'm also thinking that, if it's a couple hundred bucks extra for a marginal or possible improvement, it's probably not worth it either.

Still, since I don't exactly replace my muffler annually, I figured I should check with you guys before I go out and do it.

Johnny Mullet 05-17-2010 08:03 PM

I suggest getting Walker replacement parts. I bought a Walker rear pipe with resonator and a Walker Quiet Flow muffler for my 1998 Chevy Metro and it runs totally quiet without a cat. Recently, I bought an aftermarket pipe and muffler for my wife's 1997 Metro and I am not happy with the noise level.

Crono 05-21-2010 12:05 AM

Alright, I'll check into Walker - thanks. (I'm personally not too concerned about noise, I was just wondering if there was much difference between different brands in terms of efficiency)

PaleMelanesian 05-21-2010 09:39 AM

I doubt it'll make a bit of difference. In a former life, I put dual Flowmasters on my Suburban. :o It was loud and annoying, but didn't change speed or economy a bit.

mikeross 07-29-2010 10:11 PM

I have tried buying an aftermarket pipe and muffler. It makes this weird sound and I really did not like the quality. After that, I never settled for aftermarkets.

busypaws 07-30-2010 12:43 AM

This is one of those times where the online parts houses are not helpfull. You probably want something "lighter" then you have and tucked up higher so your underside is more arrrow. But all the online parts places all want you to enter to make/model/year so they can quote you something. I want to look at detailed drawings so I can see if they fit better or weight less. But I can't go into the catelog that way. Rant-Rant-Rant.

Bicycle Bob 07-30-2010 01:13 AM

My favourite shade-tree mechanic just looks for something about the right size at the junk yard. If it looks fresh, it is well worth fitting.