Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2016, 11:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

New Guy

Hello everyone! I just joined the eco-modding community today. I purchased a '95 Civic VX. Only 154,000 miles! Aside from a rusty door, and small rust hole in the rear quarter, it feels great. I can't wait to start this project. If anyone has any tips, or could point me in the right direction to some quick beginner mods I would be grateful!

The exhaust is also cracked and loud so I will be replacing that soon. What is the best option for headers and exhaust? Best mpg with stock, or would I see more gains from a stainless aftermarket? Thanks again for any help guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to 95vx For This Useful Post:
mcrews (10-29-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-29-2016, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Welcome to the forum. I am new here as well. As for replacement exhaust I would imagine a stock replacement would net the best MPG. Honda really dialed in the VX for MPG and anything aftermarket would likely be a setback unless you are after performance at high RPM's and aren't concerned about MPG. If it were me I would be looking into low budget/shadetree muffler shops on craigslist to have it welded up for cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to daniel831 For This Useful Post:
95vx (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Welcome!

I gotta second Daniel, Honda did a pretty good job of tuning the VX in for maximum mileage. If I were going to tweak one, I probably wouldn't fiddle with the exhaust.

The VX is pretty popular in these pages and there are some guys here who are whistling up cartoonishly good numbers. In particular look at MULE VX, which points up just how well the gearing and torque optimization of the VX rewards weight reduction and serious aero mods. Donkey gets such great mileage, he is literally going well over a month between fills.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I've been learning a lot from browsing the forum. What a great place. That mule vx is beautiful!
Old 11-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95vx View Post
Hello everyone! I just joined the eco-modding community today. I purchased a '95 Civic VX. Only 154,000 miles! Aside from a rusty door, and small rust hole in the rear quarter, it feels great. I can't wait to start this project. If anyone has any tips, or could point me in the right direction to some quick beginner mods I would be grateful!

The exhaust is also cracked and loud so I will be replacing that soon. What is the best option for headers and exhaust? Best mpg with stock, or would I see more gains from a stainless aftermarket? Thanks again for any help guys.
A passenger side mirror delete would be an easy diy, If i remember right the EG has options out there for it.

JDM EG '92-'95 Civic Coupe/Hatch Side Mirror Block Off Plate | Password JDM

That one is a bit pricey, but i know there are others out there.
Blocking the grill is also easy in those cars as well.

Bump up the tire pressure. I know some on here go above 40psi, I myself didn't want to commit to that yet and run 35. I will in the warm weather bump it up.

Get a gauge to help you with feedback on your driving so you can see what your doing the nut behind the wheel is the best mod out there.

Finally get on here ask questions, read blogs from others, and just educate yourself with things. I get the question all the time why do that one thing it will only give you a small amount on the return. Well If you keep adding little things they just add up over time giving you a bigger gain in the long run.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles

Silverbullet - '08 Toyota Prius
You are a lucky dog!
Make sure you change the timing belt and water pump if you haven't already. That engine is a marvel of it's time and you don't want it to experience a sudden death because of neglect. If you are fairly good with turning wrenches, you should be able to do the job, but it will take a good day to do it if it's your first time. Also, use a torque wrench and tighten to specs. Use synthetic oil...the stuff is amazingly better than conventional oil. I bought my 92 VX 14 years ago and will never get rid of it. I'm 48 years old and tell my kids I'll be driving it around in my 80's.
Old 12-16-2016, 03:02 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician View Post
You are a lucky dog!
Make sure you change the timing belt and water pump if you haven't already. That engine is a marvel of it's time and you don't want it to experience a sudden death because of neglect. If you are fairly good with turning wrenches, you should be able to do the job, but it will take a good day to do it if it's your first time. Also, use a torque wrench and tighten to specs. Use synthetic oil...the stuff is amazingly better than conventional oil. I bought my 92 VX 14 years ago and will never get rid of it. I'm 48 years old and tell my kids I'll be driving it around in my 80's.
Hey Magician, Thanks for the reply. As for the Tbelt and water pump I have no service history on the car and was planning on pulling the cover and checking it out sometime soon. I wrench for a living but I get so burn't out on it by the end of the day that it's hard to find the time and energy to fix my own junk. Thankfully it's not making any of those troublesome noises such as the Santa Fe and Galant I did last week which were both so bad that they sounded like chainsaws, ~200k miles with no 60k services done, timing belts slapping the covers and multiple teeth off.

As for the oil I was considering running 5w20 as I have a huge stash leftover from my old accord and honda backspecced it for 6th gen civics.

Really excited about this car. Gonna pay off some major bill's by selling my Prius and Denali. Hope to achieve Prius like MPG and still make it up to the snow only with a 10 minute chain delay.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Blue Meanie - '02 Volkswagon Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 48.52 mpg (US)

Wife's car - '05 WV Passat TDI

Rudy - '94 Chevy C2500
Welcome to the club all I can say for tips is check out the two links at the top "65+ Efficiency Mods, 100+ Hypermiling Tips" to get you started.

"It's not rocket surgery!" -MetroMPG
Old 12-16-2016, 01:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The general rule here is to fully optimize aerodynamics and driving technique to double stock MPG.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
92 Civic VX since 2002

Green Bean - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 58.68 mpg (US)

Wife's Prius - '08 Toyota Prius Base 315K miles

Silverbullet - '08 Toyota Prius
Put a warm air intake on it and insulate the entire plastic housing for the intake including the filter box etc... see my album for a pic. This work awesome... especially in the winter.

Reply  Post New Thread