Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Efficient Fuel Pump

Hi guys,

I'm a student and I'm trying to source a good low current draw fuel pump for the SAE supermileage vehicle competition. For use in fuel injecting a super high mileage vehicle. The rules state that the battery used to power the engine accessories has to be a 1.4Ah C20 battery. So the current draw of the pump has to be less than 2A to keep running without having to use a generator that would rob power from the vehicle. You are also given a non pressurized fuel tank that does not have room for a fuel pump so it has to be an inline fuel pump. It's for fuel injection so the pump has to be high pressure and produce around 40PSI. Most of the pumps I have found use around 5-7A which is way too much power. Anyone here know of a low power very efficient pump. The flow can be extremely low the power of the vehicle is in the 2HP range and it'll be running slightly lean at 16:1 A/F ratio. So 0.01L/min is the most we will need. Even if you don't know the exact pump but just know of a bike or scooter that is very small displacement very small HP that is fuel injected I could do research on the parts from there. Thanks for your help!!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yeah, I know this is a years-old thread, but for those in the future looking for a similar solution... how about going with a fuel pump that uses no electricity at all? One powered off the pulsating suction in the intake manifold? Or powered from the pressure pulse of "blowdown" (that high pressure pulse right as the exhaust valve opens)?

It's a simple matter of two diaphragms connected via a linkage, large diaphragm on the intake (or exhaust, whichever you're using) side, small diaphragm on the fuel side, size the diaphragms accordingly to get the pressure and flow you need.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
gil
EcoModding Lurker

The Drift - '85 Toyota Corolla GTS
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)

!Rally - '02 Subaru Impreza WRX
90 day: 27.68 mpg (US)

Cinnamon - '13 Honda PCX 150
90 day: 75.86 mpg (US)
How about a fuel pump from the Yamaha c3 50cc. It's pump should be low amperage.

gil.
Old 04-07-2015, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I would just make a tank that I could pressurize with a hand pump and a pressure gauge.

regards
mech

Reply  Post New Thread