EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   My First Attempt at Hypermiling - Can you guess what kinda of car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-first-attempt-hypermiling-can-you-guess-what-18905.html)

The Verge 09-21-2011 10:34 PM

My First Attempt at Hypermiling - Can you guess what kinda of car?

1 Attachment(s)
This was my first attempt at hypermiling - the average over this 2 minutes of data logging was 62.9 mpg at 55.0 mph. These results were achieved on relatively flat terrain, very light traffic, and the speed limit was 60 mph.

I used a Bluetooth wireless connection to the OBDII port on my car to log the data to my Android powered phone. No hands needed, it automatically logs from the time I start the car. The attached image is a graph of 2 minutes of sustained driving.

The big questing is, what kind of car was it :D ?

jakobnev 09-22-2011 04:49 AM

It's hard, the idle consumption and rev choice suggest a larger engine.

Maybe a bit more mass but with good aero.

I'm in a hurry, so i can't do math on the graph, i'll be back tho with a vengence!

Kodak 09-22-2011 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakobnev (Post 262362)
It's hard, the idle consumption and rev choice suggest a larger engine.

Good observation. I got some high gph figures.

I see you did a good deal of P&G, so it's definitely stick. Pretty high idle consumption, revs never even reached 2300, it appears.

Eh, maybe something like a sports car? My guess is a Ford Mustang with a V8.

I could see that vehicle coasting pretty well, and it has plenty of power to keep engine speed low.

SentraSE-R 09-22-2011 08:33 PM

Rpms and leisurely acceleration combined with long glides indicate a small car to me. Not many of those are going to get 63 mpg averaging 55 mph. I also see high gph at idle. I'll guess Honda CR-Z, but it could be anything in the 1.5-2 liter class, having a good run on the terrain driven.

Bigger engines like a Mustang's usually turn low (<1800) rpms @ 60 mph.

Blu3Z3rg 09-23-2011 06:43 AM

Prius?
Don't know how the recording would be for that thing, but I have to guess!

darcane 09-23-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SentraSE-R (Post 262500)
Rpms and leisurely acceleration combined with long glides indicate a small car to me. Not many of those are going to get 63 mpg averaging 55 mph. I also see high gph at idle. I'll guess Honda CR-Z, but it could be anything in the 1.5-2 liter class, having a good run on the terrain driven.

Bigger engines like a Mustang's usually turn low (<1800) rpms @ 60 mph.

I'm leaning towards the same. I could get decent mpgs with my Corvette (which is probably the best mpgs for a V8 car due to light weight, excellent aero, and super high OD) but there was no way I could accelerate, even lightly, at 25mpg+. High revs at 60mph indicate a smaller engine.

I'd guess a TDI Golf with a manual tranny. I'd definately say manual since the rpm and engine speed is proportional, but I would have figured the coasting would be EOC. Whatever it is, it coasts a lot longer than anything I drive.

euromodder 09-23-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darcane (Post 262635)
Whatever it is, it coasts a lot longer than anything I drive.

30s coasts aren't bad if that's on flat land.

I only get those going down a bridge or slowing down from higher speeds.

UFO 09-23-2011 06:43 PM

With mileage that good, it's got to be a ALH TDI.

:)

JethroBodine 09-23-2011 09:23 PM

C'mon, we're all primed and ready to know... What are you selling? Is it the Bluetooth device?...Fuel additive that gives the same gas saving results from a V8 as a 4cylinder?... No activity on your account since this "question". Inquiring minds want to know.

The Verge 09-25-2011 08:09 AM

Kodak Wins!

Kodak wins! Sorry there wasn't a prize but I am amazed that you got the car and engine right!

Nope wasn't selling anything.

The car is a basically stock 2005 Mustang GT (4.6L V8) that will run 13.8s at 99mph at the local drag strip. I strive to get great gas mileage so I can afford to go drag racing... a Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde kinda thing ;)

I tried the experiment on a different day/road and managed over 55 mpg.

Some of the things that are helping the car achieve high mpg:
1-New synthetic lubes in trans and rear axle
2-Tires seem to have very little rolling resistance as evident when you romp down on it :D
3-Manual transmission - no torque converter
4-Windows up, AC off
5-For a few seconds on my initial run, I drafted a van. It left me rather quickly and I never caught back up to it. I do not know if this occurred during the time plotted.
6-That's all I have.

I trust the data to about +/- 3 mpg. Unfortunately, I will never have an entire tank where I didn't romp down on it at some point. I suppose I'm a hypermiling renegade but its all good!