EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   My first hypermiling injury! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-first-hypermiling-injury-18946.html)

Fat Charlie 09-26-2011 03:49 PM

My first hypermiling injury!

I've had a horrible knot under my left shoulder blade for a while. I figured out that when I'm EOCing I hold the wheel differently with a much stronger grip and my arm in a different position than usual.

CigaR007 09-26-2011 04:26 PM

The things we do to squeeze every drop of fuel.. I hope you are feeling better !

botsapper 09-26-2011 04:47 PM

Does anyone have management techniques because of the extra awareness, higher blood pressures & constant 'stress response' state in hypermile-driving?

It does pay in higher fuel efficiency but there is certain time/distance in our commute, the extra sharpness, focus, energy & alertness start to cause cognitive overload and physical aches/pains. Running on long-term 'emergency' mode, our mind & body will pay the price.

We have to be mindful long-term exposure to 'chronic' hyper-miling can lead to health problems. Extra adrenaline & cortisol could even rewire the brain, leaving you more vulnerable to anxiety & emotional problems.
Read any studies on chronic stress.

...a few minutes of semi-truck drafting in Cali traffic is just a white-knuckle breath-holding chamber.

user removed 09-26-2011 04:50 PM

I must be doing it wrong ;).

regards
Mech

California98Civic 09-26-2011 04:59 PM

I use the occasional stresses as an incitement to remember to relax, ride the wave with good technique, and don't try to control the outcome so much .... adjust the nut behind the wheel ... be present in the now.

Fat Charlie 09-26-2011 08:20 PM

It's actually less stressful for me than when I was driving for time, with the tach and the radar detector the two most important instruments. Still, having only one hand on the wheel while not having power to anything but the stereo does make for a lot of tension. I like the power steering too much to really disable it, so I guess I'm just going to be doing isometrics as long as I'm in this car.

JRMichler 09-26-2011 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 263071)
I must be doing it wrong ;).

I'm also doing it wrong.

dcb 09-26-2011 08:44 PM

lol @ bottroll, you should see the blood pressure of the guy next to me hitting his steering wheel and swearing in front of his kids because the lady is only going 35 on a wet 35mph ramp in front of him.

Smear fail! :)

Piwoslaw 09-27-2011 03:32 PM

What about the blisters on my gearstick hand?

busypaws 09-28-2011 11:03 AM

And the left leg that is much stronger then the right --- all of that clutching to EOC/Bump start.