Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2020, 12:01 PM   #71 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTDI View Post
... Sealing those gaps will be easier than with the current rims. Just like cleaning! Looking forward to it! ...
You might experiment with leaving the inner third of the holes open to imitate wheel designs that sometimes perform about as well or better than fully covered wheels in wind tunnel tests. More brake cooling would be a side benefit, but the main purpose of retaining a small opening seems to be reducing wheel well ventilation drag. No guarantee it works better for you, and no real precise way to test whether it works better for your car, given our equipment. But if you like the look better...

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-21-2020, 09:06 AM   #72 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

GreenTDI - '11 Skoda Fabia Estate R3 1.2 CRTDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 65.02 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
You might experiment with leaving the inner third of the holes open to imitate wheel designs that sometimes perform about as well or better than fully covered wheels in wind tunnel tests. More brake cooling would be a side benefit, but the main purpose of retaining a small opening seems to be reducing wheel well ventilation drag. No guarantee it works better for you, and no real precise way to test whether it works better for your car, given our equipment. But if you like the look better...
I recently discovered that the brakes are mainly cooled by a guided airflow underneath the car. But that air has to leave the wheel somewhere. Now the wheels are closed with tape, so the airflow seems disrupted and has to go back in the wheel well and find another way out. See the picture below. It's difficult to test this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0257.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	28499  
Old 06-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #73 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
I recently discovered that the brakes are mainly cooled by a guided airflow underneath the car. But that air has to leave the wheel somewhere. Now the wheels are closed with tape, so the airflow seems disrupted and has to go back in the wheel well and find another way out. See the picture below. It's difficult to test this.

Yes. That will be hard to test. You could try tufting, or perhaps the magnehelic gauge technique Julian has been promoting. Or just take your preference. My bet would be that either will be better than stock for total drag. I am sure you do much less aggressively braking than the designers assumed would be commonplace.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-22-2020, 03:38 AM   #74 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello GreenTDI! Since you are now trying to see very little differences, I think it would be interesting to do some coast down testing. It helps you to get experimental values of rolling and air resistance.

I have use the "old" method but with better tools and found SCd values accurate to 2% to the real value.

Can you show on your computer display the driving speed? Then by recording with a smartphone your screen during the coast down you can get very good accuracy.

Last edited by ptitviet; 06-22-2020 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
I am sure you do much less aggressively braking than the designers assumed would be commonplace.
The tape came off from itself, so I removed it. The rims are open yet again. A lot of brake dust had already accumulated in the wheel during ~2200 miles, while I really don't brake much. It's a shame that brakes release so much harmful dust.

Outdoor temperatures reaching 30°C and more, I also removed the grill cover.

Had to do a 300 mile trip afterwards with the whole family (+300 lbs with luggage) and achieved a whopping 71,3 MPG or 3.3l/100 km, of which 80% highway, speeding between 60 and 70 mph ...

And that's after removing previous mods. Tire pressure remained @ 40 PSI. That and the warm weather may be the cause of that good result. Of course I haven't used the airco!

Last edited by GreenTDI; 06-26-2020 at 12:35 PM..
Old 06-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #76 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitviet View Post
Hello GreenTDI! Since you are now trying to see very little differences, I think it would be interesting to do some coast down testing. It helps you to get experimental values of rolling and air resistance.

I have use the "old" method but with better tools and found SCd values accurate to 2% to the real value.

Can you show on your computer display the driving speed? Then by recording with a smartphone your screen during the coast down you can get very good accuracy.
That's a good and simple method indeed. I'm sure I will try this with my new wheels. I'm not taping my current rims again, it's not a sustainable solution.
Old 06-27-2020, 04:00 PM   #77 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
The tape came off from itself, so I removed it. The rims are open yet again. A lot of brake dust had already accumulated in the wheel during ~2200 miles, while I really don't brake much. It's a shame that brakes release so much harmful dust.

Outdoor temperatures reaching 30°C and more, I also removed the grill cover.

Had to do a 300 mile trip afterwards with the whole family (+300 lbs with luggage) and achieved a whopping 71,3 MPG or 3.3l/100 km, of which 80% highway, speeding between 60 and 70 mph ...

And that's after removing previous mods. Tire pressure remained @ 40 PSI. That and the warm weather may be the cause of that good result. Of course I haven't used the airco!
That's so strange... in many thousands of miles, maybe 20,000 I never had any tape come off and not all that much brake dust. I lost all the tape on one wheel when I ran into a giant puddle that also wrecked my distrbutor and almost hydrolocked the engine.

Did you seal the tape in on the inside of the rim? I used two or three coats of clear plastidip. Protects the tape from heat, moisture, and dust... ultralight.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:54 AM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
That's so strange... in many thousands of miles, maybe 20,000 I never had any tape come off and not all that much brake dust. I lost all the tape on one wheel when I ran into a giant puddle that also wrecked my distrbutor and almost hydrolocked the engine.

Did you seal the tape in on the inside of the rim? I used two or three coats of clear plastidip. Protects the tape from heat, moisture, and dust... ultralight.
Mine was taped very simple on the outside, one layer of ultra strong all-wheater tape. It came loose on several places, after rain, dirt and brake dust slowly began to undermine the tape. It gives the impression that I brake like an idiot! But, it could be the effect of the brake duct under the car as seen on the picture I last posted. It pushes air into the wheel and thus water, dirt and brake dust into the tape where it piled up. So far my theory ... which is plausible.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

By the way your last consumption is just awesome considering the load and the speed!

If you have a lot of brake dust, might be useful to consider if your brake calipers are well greased. When they get old and rusty, they tend not to go back in place and stay against the discs.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:37 AM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptitviet View Post
By the way your last consumption is just awesome considering the load and the speed!
It's the 'power' of diesel, the longer the drive, the better the mileage. And thank god those summer temperatures of course It gives me a little hope for my 90 MPG trip (2.6l/100km) and the 70 MPG/tank challenge (or 3.3 l/100km).

About the brakes: there seems to be no fricton at all, the car continues to roll. And I recon you don't get such good mileages with dragging brakes ... But it will be on the checklist

Last edited by GreenTDI; 06-30-2020 at 02:35 AM.. Reason: wrong numbers!
Reply  Post New Thread