EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   My intro... (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-intro-7987.html)

pgfpro 04-19-2009 02:34 PM

My intro...

Hello everyone!!!

I have a turbo 93 Eagle Talon AWD that is running a after market efi system (DS-MAP). My best fuel-economy (31mpg freeway) was last year. My goal for this year is 33mpg freeway.

I know its not the best platform for a gas economy car, but its sometimes a plus where I live. I auto-x and drag race this car also so its a lot of fun.

My sons car is a turbo 94 civic that I built with a D16. It has got
(45mpg freeway). It also is running a aftermarket efi system (CROME).

I love the thought of being able to have a performance car and still get great gas mileage.

SVOboy 04-19-2009 02:42 PM

Crome is a nice system, I used to use it.

Welcome to EcoModder, :)

pgfpro 04-19-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 98953)
Crome is a nice system, I used to use it.

Welcome to EcoModder, :)

Thanks for the welcome.:)

I think with my sons Civic we can squeeze out another 5mpg. We were running in a lean burn mode but we didn't advance the timing as much as I wanted. On a customers 92 Civic with a Turbo D16 he managed 47mpg from Coeur d' Alene Idaho to Kennewick Washington.

Both cars have stock front clips with no aero mods, so there is some gains to be made there.

SVOboy 04-19-2009 04:42 PM

Yeah, definitely work on aeromods. And maybe toss in a tall 5th gear, :)

pgfpro 04-19-2009 05:27 PM

On my car at 3050lbs with me in it I'm still trying figure out how to get another 5 mpg for a total of 36mpg. The awd part of the equation is killing me.:(

I turned my Talon into a flex fuel vehicle, for using the E85 for performance reasons only do to its knock resistance. My goal is to have it run low 10 second 1/4 mile times at 130mph. Then fill it up with petrol and use as a daily driver.

I'm still baffled on how HP2g claims to get the mileage hes getting while on
E85 in that heavy of a vehicle and a poor aero design??? All this and he claims that its being done with electronics and not a totally different engine??? Maybe I'm not understanding the MPGe like I should.lol

My Talon on E85 even with very lean burn and aggressive timing maps still has a terrible Light Load BSFC number when compared to petrol. The energy is just not there per-volume in the E85. I would never even try to use E85 as a fuel for achieving high fuel mileage. But thats just me;)

SVOboy 04-19-2009 05:59 PM

Convert two of the wheels to electric drive, :thumbup:

cfg83 04-19-2009 06:10 PM

pgfpro -

Welcome to EM! Like you said, the AWD is probably the big thing that is limiting your MPG goals. Looking forward to your BSFC stuff. Do you have multiple BSFC charts that reflect how you use your DS-MAP? I don't know how DS-MAP works, so I don't know if you can run on "Stock OEM" mode or not. It would be neat to see how you are modulating your DS-MAP for economy.

CarloSW2

pgfpro 04-19-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 98977)
pgfpro -

Welcome to EM! Like you said, the AWD is probably the big thing that is limiting your MPG goals. Looking forward to your BSFC stuff. Do you have multiple BSFC charts that reflect how you use your DS-MAP? I don't know how DS-MAP works, so I don't know if you can run on "Stock OEM" mode or not. It would be neat to see how you are modulating your DS-MAP for economy.

CarloSW2

As far as the BSFC numbers its derived from about four different equations.
EFI 101 formula for tuning purposes.
Banks Technologies inertial accelerometer formulas
Dyno Dynamics testing
DS MAP data-logging
I'm finding that most of the efficient passenger cars run around .20 BSFC at light load.

The DS-MAP is a speed density software that uses ignition and fuel tables. You can change the values through out the load and rpm range.

I run the fuel economy mode in close loop, and then run high load WOT in open loop. I can set the switch from close loop to open by tps position.
So with light cruise load I just enter the desired wide band air fuel ratio I want and it does the work. I also monitor it with a back up Innovate Motorsports LMA-3 Auto Box.

That's it in a nut shell.:)