EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   My VX has a PCV from the factory (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/my-vx-has-pcv-factory-16871.html)

benfroggg 04-16-2011 03:28 AM

My VX has a PCV from the factory

Got your attention right VX owners?
I'm an active user over at gassavers. I'm not yet allowed to post links as I have less than 5 posts. Go to gassavers and search vx pcv. The first article that comes up is "93' Civic VX horrible Fuel Economy." On page 3, about half way down, (starting with post #81) there are photos and a description of what I found. (maybe another user can post this link for me)

To summarize what you will find over at gassavers, the PCV valve is actually a straight type pcv valve located at the breather box below the IM. It plugs in at the grommet to the hose that later feeds the hollow elbow that most people (including me) have assumed was the PCV valve. VX owners, please find the breather box under the IM and pull the end of the rubber hose going into it. At the end of the hose is a clamp and a plastic straight piece. When cleaned you will find PCV inards (spring, one way valve).
Let me know if other VX's have this same set up!
B

Ryland 04-16-2011 09:23 AM

Nope, neither my current nor past civic VX has a valve down there and both cars are very much stock, it's really hard to get to that lower hose unless you have help from someone with small hands, but on my first VX I took both hoses out and replaced them, along with the lower straight joint and the grommet all with parts from the dealership because that grommet over time dries out and causes the idle to bounce up and down.
Auto part stores will sell you generic parts that do have a check valve in them but the dealership does not and there is no need to replace those hallow joints because there is nothing inside of them to wear out or brake.

benfroggg 04-16-2011 10:58 AM

Did you buy yours from the factory?
Have you done all the work on it yourself since the beginning?

The part that I removed that has innards has the P07 part number in the middle of the number. That is what tells me it is stock. Now mine is 93', and I have not owned it since new. It is possible somebody put this in, I suppose, but I'm convinced that because it has the original part number that it is original.

When I first pulled it out, it had failed open. It was so crudded up that I didn't realize it had a check valve in it. It flowed some air through it, but not a whole lot. I cleaned it with carb cleaner and shook it for some time. Once all the crap was dislodged, it worked again. (just as all other PCV valves have on all cars of mine before this one)

My theory is this:
VX's seem to have a pcv in either the lower straight valve location or in the upper elbow version. In fact, even aftermarket stores sell both for your car. On the majestichonda parts diagram, (still can't post links) they list the "pcv" as the elbow part but they don't carry a listing for the other "pcv" straight valve.
So, if there were two style valves available in different models, and the dealer gave you the straight empty valve (thinking you had the PCV elbow valve), you'd have two open "valves."

I really wish I could post links/photos so I could show you this discussion/photos of the part.

I'm aware that aftermarket auto parts stores will sell you pcv valves with innards. I'm also aware that the dealer will sell you a "gutless" elbow or straight piece. My problem is, this part has the P07 part number in it. As far as I'm aware, that part number is only found on VX's.

Did you by any chance keep the old hose/straight piece when you took it apart?
B

benfroggg 04-16-2011 10:59 AM

Oh, and yes, that is a very difficult place to get to. I get to it from the drivers side with my extra long needle nose pliers so I can remove the clamp.
B

benfroggg 04-16-2011 11:21 AM

I forgot a couple of things:
Two other users on the other board found the identical component with innards. My second VX motor I have as a spare and it also has the same par.

I pulled the part off the car so you can have the part number:
17130-PO7-A01
PACIFIC JAPAN

Let me know what you come up with.
B

benfroggg 04-16-2011 11:23 AM

Okay, now I can make links.
93 Honda Civic VX horrible fuel economy - Page 4 - GasSavers.org - Helping You Save at the Pump Hypermiling and Fuel Efficiency Forum
Post #83 is the first post that references it. I attached photos as well as another user did.
B

imzjustplayin 04-17-2011 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 231978)
Nope, neither my current nor past civic VX has a valve down there and both cars are very much stock, it's really hard to get to that lower hose unless you have help from someone with small hands, but on my first VX I took both hoses out and replaced them, along with the lower straight joint and the grommet all with parts from the dealership because that grommet over time dries out and causes the idle to bounce up and down.
Auto part stores will sell you generic parts that do have a check valve in them but the dealership does not and there is no need to replace those hallow joints because there is nothing inside of them to wear out or brake.

If you could also run a vacuum gauge from the intake manifold for like the brake booster and then test the vacuum to see if you have a vacuum leak. Also, start at the breather box, take out the connecting piece that was there that you replaced the grommet for, and follow the vacuum hoses from there all the way to the intake manifold. Take out those hoses and then, if you can, see if you can get a part number on each of the parts along the vacuum hose and post it on here. Even better, when you disconnect the whole setup of vacuum lines and elbows from the breather box (post pics of the breather box in question) all the way to the manifold, take pics of the setup so we can query you on each part.

On my neighbor's truck, we were going to replace the PCV valve but couldn't because he has a vacuum leak and when we put in the new valve, the truck wouldn't idle. There was no question this was the PCV valve but we couldn't use the new one until he dealt with the vacuum leak since too much vacuum was being used up for the ventilation of the crankshaft. A bit unfortunate but then again, there are lots of issues with the truck that have yet to be fixed.

Ryland 04-17-2011 05:07 PM

I started a poll for people with civic VX's to see if we can find any patterns in the pcv check valves.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...lve-16877.html

It might take a while to get enough people answering the poll to get any useful info out of it, but I think it will be worth while in the end.

imzjustplayin 04-18-2011 02:22 PM

Not sure if that poll will be particularly useful considering the OP was absolutely adamant that he and a few others did not have a PCV valve when, after forceful prodding, did in fact have one.

benfroggg 04-19-2011 09:41 AM

Forceful prodding is true. I certainly didn't believe it had one until I physically searched hard for it. I also didn't realize what it was until I cleaned it up and got it working. Otherwise I would have assumed it was just a straight union to meet the breather box.
I'm guessing his point is what I was thinking; there's a lot of information on the web that says there is no valve. It has become "true" regardless of whether or not it is.
I think it is wise to have a poll, however, because if there were any differences between the years/cai-non cali models it would be good data to have.
B