EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   Navy Guy! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/navy-guy-2320.html)

SupraBo 05-13-2008 12:50 PM

Navy Guy!

Hello,

I am new to EM, though I have been reading for some time I finally joined. After reading a lot of info I can say thank you to everyone. I think its great people are putting there minds together.

I just read new comers post about coming from HP to MPG, I share a lot of the same ideas as him

I currently own
A 1998 WS6 Formula (1 of 211 made)
A 1991 Toyota Supra Turbo

New to the fleet,

1996 Honda Civic Cx automatic

My first fill up was yesterday at 34 mpg. The car has 32 psi in the rubber and has a check engine light on. I did not replace the O2's because I wanted a benchmark to work off of. My goal would be 40mpg.

I am going to track different modifications to see what really improves MPG for me. I don’t like the fact I have an automatic but its really the only thing I can find here in Hampton roads with less then 200 on the clock.

I look forward to being on this forum.

Beau

SVOboy 05-13-2008 12:54 PM

Welcome to ecomodder! Have you seen our hypermiling for better fuel economy tips yet?

How much do you like messing with cars? You could always convert the CX to a manual! :) I'm sure you can hit 40 with that car, either way.

Lazarus 05-13-2008 01:06 PM

Indeed Welcome to the community. What's the commute like and are you still in the Navy?

SupraBo 05-13-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 25536)
Welcome to ecomodder! Have you seen our hypermiling for better fuel economy tips yet?

How much do you like messing with cars? You could always convert the CX to a manual! :) I'm sure you can hit 40 with that car, either way.

Thanks for the welcome.

I did read the driving tips section and it had some very good information.

I love to work on cars, I have since I was a kid. I have owned everything from big trucks to luxury cars. I have never owned a stock car. My WS6 puts about 420 hp to the Wheels and gets 22mpg. My supra really depends on what I have the boost set at. But it can get really good gas mileage for the power it makes.

I thought about converting the car to a manual. I really haven’t seen the reason to yet. I understand the fact that automatics have approximately 20% of drive train loss compared to 16 %( approximately). I could not find a car for my price range that was a manual.

SVOboy 05-13-2008 01:59 PM

It's not so much the drivetrain loss as it is having less gearing options. If you had a manual you could use the vx/cx transmission from 92-95 hatches, which has great highway gearing.

SupraBo 05-13-2008 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus (Post 25538)
Indeed Welcome to the community. What's the commute like and are you still in the Navy?

The Commute is horrible, basically 500 miles a week. 3.55 A gallon here (Virginia beach)
Hurts the wallet.

Yes, I am still in the Navy. ET2 trying to be a pilot. Stationed on the mighty chucky v (USS Carl Vinson CVN-70)

SupraBo 05-13-2008 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 25547)
It's not so much the drivetrain loss as it is having less gearing options. If you had a manual you could use the vx/cx transmission from 92-95 hatches, which has great highway gearing.

Thats is my goal really, I want to have a reason to do it. I think im going to wait until this trans goes belly up

Daox 05-13-2008 02:30 PM

Welcome to EM. Nice car and it looks like you shouldn't have any trouble hitting your target. :)

cfg83 05-13-2008 03:49 PM

SupraBo -

Welcome to EM! Taking a baseline is definitely the smart thing to do. Your Honda will pay for itself in spades.

CarloSW2

MetroMPG 05-13-2008 09:37 PM

Getting a baseline with the check engine light on is a surefire way to set yourself up to be pleased with the rate of improvement! (Especially if it's O2 sensor related.)

Welcome to EcoModder.