EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Need report refs for tire pressure benefits (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/need-report-refs-tire-pressure-benefits-12982.html)

Ernie Rogers 04-16-2010 11:33 PM

Need report refs for tire pressure benefits

Hello, folks,

We all know how important tire pressure is for getting good mileage. A high-up guy in the Sierra Club is interested in launching a campaign to require that gas stations provide free air throughout the U.S. One or two states already have such a law. He is looking for hard data to support arguments for the campaign. Free air means people will more likely keep up tire pressure and that means fuel saved AND improved safety.

If anybody has some references to reports on the topic, I will pass them on to my friend in the Sierra Club. Two considerations--

1) Data relating tire pressure to fuel economy and tire life
2) Information on safety versus tire pressure.

Tire blowouts often happen with inadequate tire pressure and resulting tire heating. The SUV rollovers some years back were shown to be encouraged by inadequate tire pressure. And, occasionally we hear that highway patrol cars use very high tire pressure in enhance safety. Any documents to support these?

Ernie Rogers

orange4boy 04-17-2010 03:38 AM

I started a thread on tire pressure a couple of months back which would tend to support the safety aspect of proper inflation up to max sidewall. There are a few links and tidbits in there and a good debate on the subject of pressure and traction/safety.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-11433-3.html

tasdrouille 04-17-2010 08:04 AM

I posted this in the thread previously referenced, but people often don't click links, so I'll repost it for everyone's benefit.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays

When working on TPMS standards, the NHTSA decided not to have over-inflation monitored. This is what they said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by NHTSA
we are not aware of vehicle safety data reporting over-inflated tires as a significant safety hazard. In addition, available information does not suggest that over-inflation has the same safety implications as under-inflation, which causes heat buildup in a tire, potentially leading to permanent tire damage and sudden failure.

Piwoslaw 04-18-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernie Rogers (Post 170931)
A high-up guy in the Sierra Club is interested in launching a campaign to require that gas stations provide free air throughout the U.S. One or two states already have such a law. He is looking for hard data to support arguments for the campaign. Free air means people will more likely keep up tire pressure and that means fuel saved AND improved safety.

I think that is a great idea:thumbup:
The next step should be requiring all auto garages to check the pressure of every car they get their hands on and inflate to at least the suggested pressure.

Red Lion 04-19-2010 06:51 PM

No free air? That sucks, most gas stations here in Missouri (at least, southwest MO) have free air.

AeroModder 04-20-2010 11:52 AM

California requires stations to give free air to customers, and I believe Oregon is the same. My local Safeway has a fuel station, and doesn't require you to buy gas to get air. Then again, that's my regular station, so they probably recognise my car.

My bike tires needs some air, so I'll go and see if I can get it filled up there.

Dave's Civic Duty 04-20-2010 01:04 PM

I can remeber the days when we used to have to pay 10 cents to use the crapper @ departments stores. It's a shame that we need more laws to help out with this paid air problem too. You go Ernie! I agree with your proposal.

Best of luck,
Dave:thumbup:

TheEnemy 04-20-2010 01:31 PM

New Mexico doesn't require gas stations to even provide pay air, and the last time I tried to pay for air I didn't even get 5psi into one tire for $.75. Now I have a small air compressor that plugs into the power port in each car. They easily pay for themselves.