Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2013, 08:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
My cx (what's it worth?)

So guy wants to buy my cx. It's rusty. Rear wheel wells and rockers are well... It runs great gets 43 in summer. The underside and all suspension mounts are solid. The manni is cracked but cat is good 1 2 is a little notchy but No grinds or pop outs. I kinda want it for parts but.. What should I take or what you guys think it's worth? Help. Thanks. Oh were in Ohio they are all rusty but this ones a little worse than most.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Without pics and miles and such stuff it's hard to know what it's worth. Civics from 1994 in good shape seem to be offered for about $2500 with nearly 200,000 miles on it. With your rust, maybe $1500? But even if you can get that, I think it is more valuable to you as a parts vehicle for your 92 VX. You put new rotors on it recently, and the CX transmission is the same as the VX and they go for not less than $300 in good condition circa 100K miles. And that's not even figuring the PITA factor of finding one and shipping it. But you also have other parts that are transferable from the CX to the VX, even though the CX did not have a lean burn engine. So if you can store it where it does not bother you and get in the way, keep the old car for parts as you were planning.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 03-18-2013 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: deleted "New ones" and added "Civics from 1994"
Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Rusty crusty trusty - '94 Honda Civic Cx
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Vx - '92 Honda Civic Vx
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)
It's got 200,000 on the clock. The tranny and exhaust manni are the only cx vx specific parts. I got it for 500$ and put about 150$ in it in a year and a half. The trans is well. Yeah I got room but tags and insurance. Maybe I'll get a trans and exhaust to swap onto it and call it sold. I've got a lead on another parts cx. It kinda runs. Being a mailman has perks. You see lot of people. I'm never on the same route I see all kinds of cars that are hidden. The rust is bad. Rockers panels are not an option the car has any longer. My vx needs nothing that can be salvaged off of it. I would love to have the cash for all new bushings and struts rebuild the suspension convert to rear disk. Well see. The timing belt is also questionable. I'm lazy. The tires were bald 10,000 ago.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Pal you don't want to know what it's worth up here ha ha. There is a '94 CX with 287k KMs (178k miles), 5 speed, ok interior, some rust in the 1/4s but not bad (think 3 quarters beside each other worth of bubbles/rust on each side). Decent tires, drives OK but stinks like dog. Its been running at the auction for 3 weeks, and the guy can't get $600 for it. At 2 auctions a week, $40 a piece for no sale/run fees, if he sold it today for $600, he'd be out a $125 sell fee, and 6x$40 no sale fees, so his cheque would be $235. Hopefully there is more of a market for this stuff where you are, so my best advice is, if you can't use it, and you have a buyer, then take it! If you have $650 into it, it served it purpose over 18 months, then you really only spent $36 a month to have a functioning, efficient car. A guy I know just bought a 2 year old full full load F350 diesel, and his payments are $850 a month, and that's after a huge down payment. A live buyer with cash in hand is worth it's weight in gold, especially if you don't need it and it's in rough shape. Just my 2 cents.