Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2014, 07:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

White Lightning - '14 Ram 1500 SXT
90 day: 27.1 mpg (US)
Driving without traction control? Gearing up and down

My apologies if this thread already exists, but I do have something to add to the discussion if so.

I drive a 2014 ram 1500 3.6 v6 with an 8speed transmission. What am I doing on ecomodder you might ask, well I've managed to squeak 33 mpg out of that truck at my best and I'm seeking tehcnique and mod to get even better. 33 mpg for a full size truck to me seems impressive and I can't wait to get more out of it.

My question: should i be driving without traction control to gain back some mpg's? My truck does a lot of gearing down a hill to keep speed, I usually just switch it into neutral but I try to avoid all the gear shifting with electronic gears. Would taking off traction control help in that sense?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Traction control only comes into play when you start slipping. Nothing to do with what you're doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 10-07-2014, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I guess turning it off and taking a drive will answer that. Ive seen it recommended if you go autocrossing to just unplug it.

I know the gizmo that handles trac, skid, abs, etc is always working, doing self checks, circulating fluid around rather you need it or not. The power used is likely less than electric power steering. I disconnected my electric power steering and notice 2 mpg gain on my commute.
Old 10-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
I'm still close to giggling whenever I turn while EOCing. I don't want to disconnect the electric power steering because of its entertainment value.

Quote:

Old 10-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You dont need power steering once rolling. Its just for repositioning your wheels while stationary.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
I know, I know. My Subaru did just fine without it and the Nissan, well, it was no more painful than any other part of driving it. But I still haven't gotten past the sheer enjoyment of having it work when nothing else is.

Maybe it's just calling for a toggle switch.

Quote:

Old 10-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad12 View Post
My apologies if this thread already exists, but I do have something to add to the discussion if so.

I drive a 2014 ram 1500 3.6 v6 with an 8speed transmission. What am I doing on ecomodder you might ask, well I've managed to squeak 33 mpg out of that truck at my best and I'm seeking tehcnique and mod to get even better. 33 mpg for a full size truck to me seems impressive and I can't wait to get more out of it.

My question: should i be driving without traction control to gain back some mpg's? My truck does a lot of gearing down a hill to keep speed, I usually just switch it into neutral but I try to avoid all the gear shifting with electronic gears. Would taking off traction control help in that sense?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Do you have a real-time gauge for MPG ? If so monitor what happens to real MPG when your truck shifts down on - if it goes to 999 (or ---) then the engine is in DFCO and it is being "turned" by the car and using no fuel.

Leaving it in gear might be better than neutral but it is a balance between longer coasting at idle (neutral) and using no fuel at all but slowing more (DFCO). Also check your trans is happy in Neutral when moving.

The traction control question depends on how it works on your car - some work by retarding the ignition to reduce wheelspin, some do some clever jiggery pokery with diffs and some actually use brakes - kind of like ABS in reverse.

I doubt very much on tarmac it is even activated.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

What I hate is when you want to spin the steering wheel around like a top lock to lock the power assist is reduced as you turn the wheel faster. On a traditional power steering its full power all the time and you can crank it fast as you want lock to lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
I know, I know. My Subaru did just fine without it and the Nissan, well, it was no more painful than any other part of driving it. But I still haven't gotten past the sheer enjoyment of having it work when nothing else is.

Maybe it's just calling for a toggle switch.

Reply  Post New Thread