EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   never knew saving gas was popular? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/never-knew-saving-gas-popular-37089.html)

old_biker 12-13-2018 11:41 PM

never knew saving gas was popular?

I been doing stuff to save fuel for well over 30 years, most people have shook their head at me, I have built some awesome economical engines over my life, plus just worked on lightly to increase mileage. my all time favorite was a small block V8 in a Chevrolet Nova that I built for mileage, & averaged 24mpg, I used it for commuting to college as a teenager, as well as a souped up MGB, which I was getting low 40mpg out of. just so many vehicles, & so much fun to actually consistently beat MPG it is supposed to get, or to go way beyond.

oil pan 4 12-14-2018 02:51 AM

It gets real popular when gas goes up to around $3.50 a gallon.

old_biker 12-14-2018 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 585989)
It gets real popular when gas goes up to around $3.50 a gallon.

well I been doing it since gas was .87 cents a gallon, maybe a bit cheaper, however I have always had a "muscle car" to drive when I wanted to, & the economy car for daily driving. yes 35+ years of driving & keeping both.

my wife has a 2012 Prius C, I am pissed off at Toyota, the newer ones get 5mpg worse? same as regular Prius when we bought ours, & now regular models are still 5mpg worse than were 6 years ago. I bought ours new when first came out, a 2012 model, have managed 58-63 mpg on trips, but normally 49-53 just daily driving.

anyway I have a Roush truck, my "muscle car" that I have been forced to drive daily recently as my economy car finally messed up, a 97 Honda Accord, but was getting close to 400K miles, I just bought a low mileage 2009 Chevrolet AVEO, but wont be able to go get it until next week, but reading on them is how I saw this page.

Daox 12-14-2018 08:53 AM

Welcome to the site Old Biker.

redpoint5 12-14-2018 02:03 PM

I've found most vehicle-specific forums have people who aren't interested in efficiency, or don't believe it's even possible. In their minds, the car gets the MPG it gets, regardless of just about anything. The MPG advice is to make sure the air filter is clean (which doesn't really matter actually), and that's about it.

Vman455 12-14-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old_biker (Post 586000)
my wife has a 2012 Prius C, I am pissed off at Toyota, the newer ones get 5mpg worse? same as regular Prius when we bought ours, & now regular models are still 5mpg worse than were 6 years ago. I bought ours new when first came out, a 2012 model, have managed 58-63 mpg on trips, but normally 49-53 just daily driving.

The car hasn't changed, but the EPA's correction factors have, and they issued a bulletin in 2016 that applied a more aggressive correction factor to MY 2017 and up vehicles. Toyota chose to retroactively apply that correction factor to some 2011-2016 models like the regular Prius (was 50 mpg combined, now 48 mpg), but not others (Prius c). Underneath, nothing's actually changed.

Welcome to the site!