Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Saving@Home
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Net cost of going solar

I live in Phoenix so we've no shortage of sun, and during summer A/C is not a luxury (though keeping it under 80 is)

A former coworker mentioned to me he recently had a 4.8kW solar system installed on his house, he pays $43/mo for it and it has generated ~$170 worth of power since it went online 24 days ago.

I wasn't able to get much more information from him on the topic.. don't know if he leased or financed the panels or what... but he did send me a link to his monitoring account

At the rates I pay, that many kWh still adds up to >$110/mo which is less than the $170 it supposedly saves him but more than twice the $43/mo he pays for the system.

My average monthly electric bill over the past 12 months comes out to $104..

So my question is, am I doing my math wrong here? The way it looks to me is if I'm presently paying around $100 and I generate around $100 worth of juice on average, and I pay the solar co. $43/mo for the panels... that makes my net electricity cost per month $43 right? Or am I reading that wrong? Plus the panels shade my roof which should slightly reduce A/C load, plus it improves the value of my home, plus it is presumably better for the environment....

Are there any hidden, down the road "gotcha" problems I'm not thinking about?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
You need to figure out exactly how much you pay per kWh and how much your electric company will pay you per kWh.
Old 05-14-2010, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
First step is normally to have a site assessment done, we can speculate all we want here and would get some what accurate if we looked at your kwh per month use (not dollar amount) and your sun hours (hours of full sun per day) that you get, but someone who works in your area, has the info for your area and is looking at your house in person is going to give you 100% accurate info, we are not.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
First step is normally to have a site assessment done, we can speculate all we want here and would get some what accurate if we looked at your kwh per month use (not dollar amount) and your sun hours (hours of full sun per day) that you get, but someone who works in your area, has the info for your area and is looking at your house in person is going to give you 100% accurate info, we are not.
Werd, I'm planning to have a consultation with them but figured my very first step would be to ask around for others' opinions, to see if there are any good reasons not to even bother - so as to avoid taking a half day off work to meet with a consultant on their schedule (this particular company apparently doesn't do weekend/evening consultations, which is fine their employees deserve days off too)

My home is 2 story (among mostly single story neighbors) and gets 100% roof exposure at angles available to the sun from dawn to dusk. The overall size, orientation, amount of sun exposure, etc that my home gets is very similar to that of the ex coworker whose solar setup got me inspired... I use less electricity than him in general and pay a lower kWh fee (between 7 and 12 cents per kWh depending on time of year/day)

I know that folks on a forum can't give me a detailed breakdown of exactly what I'm going to pay, that's not what I'm looking for... just asking if there are any unforseen considerations to this because what it looks like is if the system costs $43 per month and offsets $44 per month worth of grid power, it's saved me a dollar no matter how you slice it. Is that correct?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovel View Post
if the system costs $43 per month and offsets $44 per month worth of grid power, it's saved me a dollar no matter how you slice it. Is that correct?
Probably not. You'd need to know for sure what the $43/mo figure is. Is that just the monthly payment for the loan he took out to buy the system? Was there a down payment? When the loan matures, how much equity will be left in the solar system?

If there are enough tax credits available, the numbers might work out in your favor. And even if the system doesn't save money, you'll still feel good about it.

Let us know the results of the assessment.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
The numbers sound reasonable enough to be sure. I'd say the only gotcha I could think of is a month with little sunlight.

If I had the opprotunity to do that, I'd insist on an oversized solar setup to maximize the credit to my electric bill. Depending on the costs, it might make the return on investment quicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
There are no real hidden cost in solar electric systems and if I remember correctly you should average around 7-8 sun hours per day and to be a bit more clear on that wording, it's the amount of sun you would get full output from, not the amount of time it's "light out", the other thing is, solar output tends to match peek loads, sunny days tend to be peek days for A/C, it has been a few years sense I have asked about installed system costs, but costs have gone down, rebates have gone up and the panels them selves should last the rest of your life seeing as how they have a 25 year warranty on their labeled output and 50+ years of real life testing, some companies used to put a 30 or 35 year warranty but when I asked them why this was no longer the case I was told it was because some countries have restrictions on warranty time spans, so instead of having a warranty that varied by country they cut it back to 25 years, but we have some solar panels that are getting close to the 30 year mark, well past the warranty they had 30 years ago and are still producing at their output.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Arizona sounds like a great place to use evaporative cooling. It shouldn't be very difficult to modify an evaporative cooler to run on solar.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 05-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
is there such a system that is a combination evaporative cooler and heat exchanger? It's bloody humid in Arkansas so evap coolers would make it worse, but if a heat exchanger was used to bring the cool into the house, it would be like a regular ac unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
is there such a system that is a combination evaporative cooler and heat exchanger? It's bloody humid in Arkansas so evap coolers would make it worse, but if a heat exchanger was used to bring the cool into the house, it would be like a regular ac unit.
A friend of mine is working on a hybrid A/C that uses evaporative cooling to cool the condenser of a normal A/C. The prototype gets a SEER rating in the low 30s. It uses distilled water as the refrigerant. Main problem is that the "turbocompressor" (basically a modified turbocharger driven by a switched reluctance motor) is not a mass produced part.

I think I'll try to build my own hybrid A/C in the future, but with a conventional refrigeration loop using ES-22a.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Reply  Post New Thread