EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New aveo member (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-aveo-member-12556.html)

Mamoon69 03-09-2010 06:14 AM

New aveo member

I bought a new 2009 Aveo from local Authorized GM dealer 7 months ago. 1.4L AT (Auto Transmission) with AC. Odometer displays approx. 4000KM so far. All city-driving at avg:40km/h street traffic with many stop & go. Minimal AC & heater. The car -in general- is good except:
1. Stiff Suspension that makes you feel every little bump on the road.
2. Very-low milage. It drinks gasoline too much. Scores always between (145-155 KM/20 Liter) using the recommended unleaded gasoline during winter/summer; with/without AC; smooth/harsh driving; ... I have tried everything to get better MPG but no luck. My other older car (Nissan Sunny 1987 (1.5L,MT)) scores 200KM/20 Liter using lower quality gasoline which is better (260km/20L when it was new).

I just wanted to share my experience with AVEO 2009 with you.

Mamoon Khader
Amman, Jordan

NeilBlanchard 03-09-2010 09:27 AM

Welcome to EM, Mamoon!

I was going to suggest a block heater to the OP, but if you are in a warm place (like Jordan?), then that probably won't help much.

ICE powered cars in the city are at a severe disadvantage. If you are at traffic lights where you know the cycle, you can shut off the engine while you wait at a red light. This will save a fair amount of fuel if you save idling for more than 15-20 seconds.

Daox 03-09-2010 09:40 AM

Welcome to the site Mamoon. I moved your post into its own new thread to get a bit more attention and hopefully more help for you. :)

Anyway, Neil's suggestion is good. I'd also look through our 100+ hypermiling tips on the site here (link up top). There is a lot that you may want to use, and a lot you don't want to use. Find what works for you and I'm sure you'll see better mileage.

Thymeclock 03-09-2010 05:04 PM

Hi,

I also have an '09 Aveo. (I originally started the other thread.)

My latest attempt at bettering the mileage is to try to get the car into high gear as soon as possible and as much as possible.

I think the whole issue is related to the transmission. The good news is that it's a 4 speed Aisin transmission and they are known to be excellent or trouble-free. It shifts so smoothly I can't tell with certainty where the shift points occur. (Would anyone know for certain? I know what the gear ratios are, and they are typical, not anything unexpected for a 4 speed automatic.)

The bad news is that fuel consumption is high, apparently in the lower gears. The car supposedly gets very good mileage in highway driving, but that means being able to stay in high gear. This is often impossible or not easy to do in city traffic. So far we are very happy with it as a car that is used for commuting, except for the disappointing FE in local driving.

Roger Jolley 03-09-2010 10:02 PM

I have a 2005 Aveo. Although I am VERY happy with the reliability of the car for the past 5 years, I have not been satisfied with the mileage. Recently, I noticed that if I don't force the transmission to upshift, it will remain in a lower gear far too long. Since the transmission is so smooth, and the car (engine) is so quiet, I hadn't noticed, but I believe that the delayed shifts hurt my gas mileage. Now that I force the transmission to shift (by lifting off of the gas pedal completely) I have noticed improved (but still not satisfactory) mileage. I think that this is possibly a flaw in the transmission.
I also plan to experiment with MANUALLY shifting the transmission and using the HOLD feature to try for higher mileage.

Thymeclock 03-09-2010 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Jolley (Post 165257)
I have a 2005 Aveo. Although I am VERY happy with the reliability of the car for the past 5 years, I have not been satisfied with the mileage. Recently, I noticed that if I don't force the transmission to upshift, it will remain in a lower gear far too long. Since the transmission is so smooth, and the car (engine) is so quiet, I hadn't noticed, but I believe that the delayed shifts hurt my gas mileage.

The engine isn't very quiet, but the transmission is very smooth, so it is hard to tell where the upshifts occur. I suspect it doesn't go into high gear until over 40 mph. My old Celica would go into overdrive (fifth gear) at about 38 mph., which probably helped the mileage on that model.

Quote:

Now that I force the transmission to shift (by lifting off of the gas pedal completely) I have noticed improved (but still not satisfactory) mileage. I think that this is possibly a flaw in the transmission.
That wouldn't be a 'flaw' per se, but I don't think your letting up on the throttle is making it shift, just making it glide in whatever gear it is in. I'm leaning to thinking that what is known as 'pulse & glide' might be the necessary strategy for it.

Quote:

I also plan to experiment with MANUALLY shifting the transmission and using the HOLD feature to try for higher mileage.
How would you do that? It certainly wouldn't be of any use to keep it in hold in first or second gear. :confused:

Roger Jolley 03-10-2010 07:35 PM

I mean by using the shift lever to start off in 1st, shift to 2nd, 3rd, etc., then to press the 'hold' button to keep it in high gear.

Thymeclock 03-11-2010 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Jolley (Post 165425)
I mean by using the shift lever to start off in 1st, shift to 2nd, 3rd, etc., then to press the 'hold' button to keep it in high gear.

I don't understand. If you press 'hold' while in first gear, it will stay in first. Same applies to second. But if you have it in 'drive' even if you wait until it is in high gear to press the 'hold' button, it's not going to stay in high indefinitely. It has to downshift as you decelerate. Or, in the event that you stop, it's certainly not going to remain in 'high', because you can't start out in high gear.

Roger Jolley 03-11-2010 09:12 PM

You are right about that. But it may stop it from downshifting unnecessarily for slight hills and such. I haven't tried it in 3rd or 4th gear yet.

Thymeclock 03-11-2010 10:23 PM

Hi Roger,

Here's what is causing the delayed shifts: (click here).