EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   New...but not so new, Hybrid owner (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-but-not-so-new-hybrid-owner-24982.html)

Blackhatch 02-18-2013 01:43 PM

New...but not so new, Hybrid owner

Great forum by the way.

I previously owned a Toyota Hybrid (2005) and had fantastic luck with the car. Great vehicle and average a tic over 50mpg with no aerodynamic modifications and merely good tire pressure and the occasional pulse and glide.

I currently own and operate a construction company and want to get my sales manager and operations people (those that don't need a truck) into more efficient vehicles.

I also know how my people treat vehicles and I would prefer to go with a used equivalent so that I don't take the initial depreciation and thrashing from the employees.

Here are my questions:
- Are the Toyota batteries as repairable as Honda batteries (I read the thread about balancing the batteries)
- Is there a general idea about the durability of the two comparable vehicles (Honda and Toyota)?
-- I have owned the Prius and my Dad has the Honda Civic. I must say that I like the Prius operation a bit better.
- Does anybody have the source on the batteries for the cell replacements?

General opinion on the comparison and I am completely open to recommendations.

Thanks and I am open to any and all feedback/suggestions.

Eric

Blackhatch 02-18-2013 01:48 PM

When the IMA light comes on, is that the IMA computer or is it only the battery..usually? I have read a couple of threads lately where folks are referring to replacing the IMA computer as well as the batteries.

Daox 02-18-2013 04:17 PM

In general, the Toyota hybrids just don't have battery issues at all (there are rare exceptions). Hondas have many more issues as well as issues with their CVT transmission. Not that they're bad, but the Toyotas hold up better. I personally wouldn't even worry about buying a used Toyota hybrid at all.

There are a couple companies out there that will rebuild/refurbish your pack weather it be a Honda or Toyota hybrid. I can't think of them off hand, but there are a couple and the prices are pretty reasonable IMO (~$1k depending on the vehicle).

sheepdog 44 02-18-2013 04:51 PM

$2,000 for for a honda battery. The good thing is they can be made to run with a dead or without the battery. A Prius needs the battery to function? So it needs to be replaced. But Prii have excellent battery management systems, so they last a whole lot longer.

For a company car get a Prius. Don't worry about the battery as long as it's not that old.

Blackhatch 02-18-2013 04:52 PM

Thanks for the information.

Will the Prius run with a dead Hybrid battery like the Honda will (or thought it will)?

Does anybody re-build them in house?

Thanks and keep the comments coming... :turtle:

Blackhatch 02-18-2013 04:53 PM

Thanks.

Looking at a Prius right now with a dead battery in it that is cheap.

Is there anything else that goes bad on these things?

Blackhatch 02-19-2013 06:51 AM

Morning AM bump. Wish my coffee had as much juice as one of these batteries right now.