EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Canadian Hypermiler (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-canadian-hypermiler-30629.html)

BenArcher006 12-04-2014 10:54 PM

New Canadian Hypermiler

Hi everyone,

My name is Ben and Im from Canada!

Im new to hypermiling and I must say that its pretty darn brilliant!

My car is a Saturn Vue 2006 with a 2.2L 4cyl ecotec engine matched to a 5 speed manual transmission. Technically it is supposed to get 20mpg city, 23mpg combined and 27mpg highway.

Since I owned the truck, I get about 23.60 mpg combined (80% city 20% highway).

Recently I did a tune up (spark plugs, air filter, new o2 sensor, ecu reflash, new battery) and last week I had the car aligned since it was waaaay off (burned through both front tires).

Last night I just bought a Vacuum pressure gauge and plan on getting an UltraGauge by Xmas so I can start "driving with load". I P&G engine idling as much as I can in town coming to a stop sign or a red light (which aren't synced where I live GRRRR).

So thats about it, now I need to clean my truck from all non necessary items I got in the trunk, I will get my tire pressure up a bit maybe 40-45 psi. I think its all I can possibly do to max my mpg. Can't wait to install both my gauges.

See y'all around!

Ben A.

gone-ot 12-05-2014 12:13 AM

Having a history of "before" MPG will make it much easier for you to see and understand improvements in "after" MPG.

MetroMPG 12-05-2014 09:50 AM

Welcome, Ben!

What city are you in (if you don't mind me asking)?

Winter is a tough time to get great numbers, but it's a good time for honing your skills to watch things take off in 3 or 4 months. Glad to hear you got the manual trans; that gives you so many more options.

DEFINITELY get yourself a gauge. It makes the game much more rewarding. Considering any other vehicle mods? Partial grille block is a good idea to start.

Darin

HyperMileQC 12-05-2014 11:46 AM

Welcome fellow Canadian! You already have a good base all you need now is to practice some engine off coasting and you will be amazed by the results :).

leanAztek 12-05-2014 12:51 PM

Hello from nearby MI! Have fun.

BenArcher006 12-05-2014 03:02 PM

I live on the north shore of Montreal!

As for what my next mods might be, I will surely lower the truck to reduce that monstrous wheel well gap! Im looking into installing a kill switch. But thats about it I prefer having a nice stock looking truck thant having all those aero mods. Im not that hardore hypermiler that will stop completly using A/C and all.

As for the partial grille block it will have to be on the inside so no one can see it (might be usefu for warming the engine faster as temperatures are already at -15°C, and yes its going to get way colder than that!)

So that about it folks!

Ben A.

Ps. Please excuse my english if it is not perfect as I am normally speaking french!

Fat Charlie 12-05-2014 03:04 PM

Only a Canadian would refuse to stop using AC in this weather. :confused:

Welcome to the fun!

BenArcher006 12-05-2014 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 458378)
Only a Canadian would refuse to stop using AC in this weather. :confused:

Welcome to the fun!

Im talking at +30°C im the summer! Dah! ;)

Still, I try to limit the alternator sucking up power by limiting my use of accessories only when its absolutely necessary.

BenArcher006 12-09-2014 01:03 PM

I entered my first fuel log and I must say , damn cold weather suck for fuel economy.

With just 1 tank of drive below 0°C my average mpg when south by almost 2mpg!

Loll I can't believe I'm saying this, but I can't wait till summer to see real benefits from my hypermiling driving technics!

Ben A.

MetroMPG 12-09-2014 08:51 PM

I know. Winter is definitely not the time of year if you're looking for encouragement from eye-popping numbers.

I'd like to see a 4.7 LHK / 50 mpg US tank from my new-to-me '07 Civic, but I'm struggling to get ~49 while keeping average speed reasonable.