EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   new civic VX owner to the forum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-civic-vx-owner-forum-24838.html)

dlb 02-04-2013 01:15 PM

new civic VX owner to the forum

hi all. i've always been pretty into fuel economy, though i'm far from the elite of hypermilers. i have had a love affair with 80's/early 90's toyota wagons for their durability, ease of maintenance, and good fuel economy, but i recently learned about honda civics exceptional fuel economy (specifically the VX) so we sold my wife's truck and found her a '92 VX. i have lots of experience working on older vehicles—toyota, ford, VW (ugh), some hondas—but am looking forward to becoming familiar with the VX. the one we bought needs some work before it will be a daily driver so i'm hoping to find a community of other VX owners to have fairly specific conversations with. i've tried some other civic forums and they've been very little help since a large part of that community likes to swap in more powerful, sporty engines, and don't have any VX-specific experiences.

i looked for a VX forum but couldn't find anything. i recently talked with another VX owner who said there used to be a VX forum but it didn't have enough traffic and shut down. i'm an optimist at heart though so i created a VX forum, in case anyone is interested in that. i don't know if i'm allowed to share the link to it here so if someone could let me know if that's ok, i would appreciate it.

thanks, looking forward to joining the convos here!

slownugly 02-04-2013 01:19 PM

welcome. you are in the right place. i believe our member Tom.O is the gentleman who created the former website. lots of vx owners on here who are very knowledgable and lots of hx (vx's 96-00 older brother) owners as well. a vx specific forum would be neat. ill try googling it.

dlb 02-04-2013 01:23 PM

cool, thanks slownugly. i've tried using search engines to find the VX forum i just made but it doesn't show up. probably because it's on a free server. i'll post the link here if i'm allowed but don't want to step on any toes. i don't want to divert traffic from this forum.

slownugly 02-04-2013 01:31 PM

I'm not sure about the rules 100% on that but the moderators are very nice. It would be different if you were trying to sell something like a magic gas saving tool. If its a site dedicated to furthering the knowledge of these popular cars I don't see a problem with it. Wait for a mod to give the go ahead first.

To increase activity you might want to include hx's on the forum too.

dlb 02-04-2013 02:04 PM

that's a good idea. i actually didn't know about the hx and its relation to the vx—i'm on a steep learning curve here. i did google them though and they don't appear to get anywhere near the mileage of the vx. is that correct?

slownugly 02-04-2013 02:15 PM

They both are lean burn engines. The hx has a 1.6 liter while the Vx is 1.5. Yes the hx has a lower EPA rating but guys on here are getting very good mileage out of them. I've seen some over 60mpg to a tank and I'm sure someone's gotten more.

Also Vx only came in hatchback for while hx only came in coupe form

MetroMPG 02-04-2013 04:16 PM

The VX guys are all here. Why not just stick around?

dlb 02-05-2013 10:09 PM

i definitely plan on sticking around. just not sure how much VX Q&A is appropriate for here. i realize this is a hypermiling forum so i don't want to turn it into my personal VX forum, you know? if peeps are ok with that though, i will gladly start asking away. i picked up my VX just a few days ago and it needs some work so i've got a few Q's already.

War_Wagon 02-05-2013 10:15 PM

Man I ask all sorts of questions about everything on this forum. There are a lot of smart people on here, so ask away, it's a good crowd. Oh, and welcome!

2000neon 02-05-2013 10:25 PM

If you do a search here there is already a bunch of VX tech, and MetroMPG is right, most of the VX guys are already here. Myself included. :thumbup: