EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New closet hypermiler. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-closet-hypermiler-21516.html)

dohcsvt 04-19-2012 08:12 AM

New closet hypermiler.

Hello,
My name is Ottis and I am a major gear head. Speed has always been my thing. However I just sold my anti-hypermiling car and thought that I would come in here and learn. I had a 2008 Mustang Shelby GT500 that made 800 rear wheel horsepower and got 16 mpg. In my garage is a 1973 Mach 1 with a Big block that makes 625 horsepower and (believe it or not I figured this out for S&G's) gets 7 mpg.

My daily driver is a 2008 Silverado 1500 extended cab short bed 4X4. I recently purchased (6 months ago) a ScanGage and have been paying attention to my fuel economy. Just by changing driving habits I have gone from 16.5 mpg to almost 19 mpg. Yesterday (after I sold my baby) I went to the auto parts store and purchased synthetic lubricants for the engine, front axle, rear axle, transmission and transfer case. I have also located a local gas station that sells ethanol free gasoline. My overall goal is to be able to get my truck to average 25mpg back and forth to work. I am currently researching my next option of tail gate up/down and tailgate off replaced by net or tonneau cover. I look forward to learning from you guys and saving money!!

MetroMPG 04-19-2012 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Welcome to the forum.

To get a meaningful improvement in fuel economy and get to your goal, you'll need to skip the tailgate up/down/off experimentation and proceed to the more advanced mods. This chart explains it nicely:

http://ecomodder.com/forum/attachmen...1&d=1334841255

tru 04-19-2012 03:47 PM

any ideas on what optimum length of partial cover would be?

euromodder 04-19-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tru (Post 301765)
any ideas on what optimum length of partial cover would be?

The optimum length is a full cover ;)

If it has to be a partial one, cover at least the rear half of the truck's bed.

Adding a wing / extending the roofline combined with that partial cover, will work even better.
You don't want a wing that stick up above the roof, or kicks the air upwards though - that'll increase drag.

MetroMPG 04-19-2012 06:45 PM

There are a number of past & ongoing "aero topper" and DIY full & half-tonneau projects in the aerodynamics subforum. Dig around there to get an understanding of what works & why.

dohcsvt 05-21-2012 08:09 PM

Well, I finally reallized that hypermiling a V-8 Silverado is like going on a Twinky diet, it may work , but it's not easy. So I still have my Silverado but I purchased a 2000 Plymouth neon and after only a few mods I am already up to 41 mpg. I am not complaining about that.

MetroMPG 05-22-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohcsvt (Post 308364)
Well, I finally reallized that hypermiling a V-8 Silverado is like going on a Twinky diet, it may work , but it's not easy.

That is truly funny! Thanks for the chuckle.

And congrats on the 41 mpg commuter.

tehgyb 05-22-2012 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dohcsvt (Post 308364)
Well, I finally reallized that hypermiling a V-8 Silverado is like going on a Twinky diet, it may work , but it's not easy. So I still have my Silverado but I purchased a 2000 Plymouth neon and after only a few mods I am already up to 41 mpg. I am not complaining about that.

Oh man my side hurts!

And nice, 41 mpg is excellent! Do you have an extended/further goal from there?
And Welcome to EM!

dohcsvt 05-23-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

And nice, 41 mpg is excellent! Do you have an extended/further goal from there?
Yes,
I would like to see 47 MPG, that would equate to 1 gallon of gas per day roundtrip for work. That would be excellent. I have currently performed the following mods.
removed the A/C and PS belt.
Replaced engine oil with synthetic,
installed my really cool yard edging lower valence
Installed a grill block
adjusted the nut behind the wheel

Planned mods
Install an HAI
side gap the plugs
Partial wheel well covers.

I know that those will not push me to 47 but every little bit help. Its just a bit hard to find people trying to do this stuff to a neon, so it is mostly experimentation on my part.