Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Facilitator

Hello! A DC/FL/TX/CA guy that's (eco)crowd funding

Hi everyone,

My name's Chris. Really glad this site exists, and I'm excited to maybe learn a few tricks here. You guys have all the knowledge in terms of eco-driving skills.

I'm crowd funding a "gamified" fuel conservation app called GreenRider on Indiegogo that should be of interest to people here. No engine check features. No route guidance. Just fuel economy maximization.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback on it. Since I'm new and can't post links (argh!), you can find it on the Indiegogo page... it's the top new environmental project this week.

Take a look and shoot me a message - I'm right here. Look forward to hearing from you.

~Chris

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Welcome to ecomodder, Chris, but I see little innovation in it.
It's sort of a basic Fuelly / Spritmonitor / EM Garage meeting OBDII and creates online bragging rights ...

OK, monitoring and registering MPG makes one think more about their fuel consumption, which can lead to a more efficient driving style ... but as-is, the no-thrills app's apparently not going to give ppl pointers on how to do that ?

OBDII data can be way off, and really needs verification and correction by real-life fill-ups.

I was born skeptic, and I fail to see the point here ...

$10 for a no thrills app that just puts OBD2 data online and compares it to others ?
That's going to be a pretty hard sell.

Apps that grab OBD2 data exist.
The OBD2 dongles exist.

What are you really adding

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Cobb (04-28-2014)
Old 04-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Facilitator

Hi Euromodder,

No, this is good. I'll go in reverse:

I'm not reinventing OBD2 dongles nor how we collect the data. Those are knowns and I don't want to reinvent the wheel. What is new is an eco-focused use of these devices and data.

On the hard sell comment, the eco-conscious drivers I've interviewed so far seem to leap on the idea once they realize how much they could save by changing their habits. $10 is well within the price range I've heard so far, and will provide value far beyond the return on investment.

Also another note on the current app: the Indiegogo has many purposes, and one of them is to improve this basic version. Take a look at the various flex goals I would like to include on the campaign page.

Is the OBDII data veracity a problem? Maybe, though I've been working on that to find a work around that will keep errors from occurring.

On innovation we disagree somewhat. Many of the components of this system are not new, like social networks or OBDII dongles, yet it is very common for new ideas to use existing technology with a new purpose. While it might not be Google Glass, GreenRider will occupy a space that (to my knowledge) no one else resides.

I hope that helps to explain my direction and purpose with GreenRider. As a trained scientist, I understand your skepticism... I have to somehow combine my own everyday with a start-up founder's required "eternal optimism." That goes over well.

I appreciate you looking up my project as well as the challenge and feedback!
Old 04-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sounds cool man. ODBII Data like throttle percentage would be cool to see. Good luck with the app!

Reply  Post New Thread