EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   New dedicated EV platform (Kia / Hyundai) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-dedicated-ev-platform-kia-hyundai-39198.html)

JSH 03-15-2021 06:03 PM

New dedicated EV platform (Kia / Hyundai)

Kia and Hyundai have been busy showing us the first vehicles to be built on their new dedicated EV platform.

Hyundai IONIQ 5

182 inches long / 63 inches tall / 118 inch wheelbase

Single Motor (RWD) = 215 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque
Dual Motor (AWD) = 302 horsepower and 446 pound-feet of torque.

Single-motor 0-60 mph times
72.6-kWh: 7.4 seconds / 298 mile range WLTP
58-kWh: 8.5 seconds
Dual-motor 0-60 mph times
72.6-kWh: 5.2 seconds
58-kWh: 6.1 seconds

https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/g0S...-ioniq-5-1.jpg

Kia EV6

No details but likely the same as the IONIQ 5 under the skin. It looks a lot better to me - too bad about the "coupe" hatch. I think they got the grill size right on both.

https://s3-prod.autonews.com/s3fs-pu...er-quarter.jpg

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/5oN...kia-ev6-02.jpg

freebeard 03-15-2021 06:29 PM

I thought my son might like the Ioniq because of the hooded headlights, it's like his Dodge Charger. But no.

That door crease is a deal-killer for me. The EV6 tail lights are distinctive.

redpoint5 03-15-2021 06:55 PM

I don't care for the designs but then I hardly mind either.

Hopefully this means Hyundai finally reduces the price of the Ioniq, but since stock is so limited to begin with I'm not holding my breath. Maybe used prices will come down.

JSH 03-15-2021 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 644180)
I don't care for the designs but then I hardly mind either.

Hopefully this means Hyundai finally reduces the price of the Ioniq, but since stock is so limited to begin with I'm not holding my breath. Maybe used prices will come down.

I suspect the current Ioniq EV will die when these come out. No word on when the US market will get these new cars but likely after the EU, Korea, and China. The USA is last on the list for EVs it seems. (With good reason)

Another technical tidbit - they have 800V architecture.

EDIT: Also a 3.6 kW 110V inverter to power household loads.

redpoint5 03-15-2021 07:53 PM

I wonder if 800v is always implemented the way GM is implementing it with the Hummer; two 400v packs with a switch that allows it to combine serially into 800v for operation, and parallel 400v packs when charging?

Very neat to see the inverter for running household things. What I really want to see is 240v 7.2 kW output inverter so that things like well pumps can run.

My current scheme which deserves its own thread is to tap into a plug-in hybrid battery and connect it to the battery input of a solar inverter so that it can be fed unlimited power from the vehicle.

Piotrsko 03-16-2021 10:34 AM

Nice concept, cant run out of battery until it's out of fuel. But will it run rated power continuously for 24 hrs or is there a thermal catch 22?

redpoint5 03-16-2021 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko (Post 644199)
Nice concept, cant run out of battery until it's out of fuel. But will it run rated power continuously for 24 hrs or is there a thermal catch 22?

My plan is to tap directly into the HV battery pack, so as far as electronics goes no thermal issues (utilize the solar inverter rather than the smaller inverter on the car).

Regarding running the engine to charge the battery, it would only periodically run when the battery needed to charge up, and in theory would do so automatically, so it would cycle on and off as needed. There should be no issues doing this day after day.

jakobnev 03-16-2021 04:07 PM

I wish I could just get the old Ioniq with 58kWh.

samwichse 03-16-2021 05:23 PM

These look nice, but I would much prefer some cars over crossovers :-/

Something with less giant wheels, less width, less height. Less car.

JSH 03-18-2021 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 644210)
These look nice, but I would much prefer some cars over crossovers :-/

Something with less giant wheels, less width, less height. Less car.

Automakers have been busy making electric cars that don't sell. There are plenty in the used market for cheap. Hard to get less car than the Spark EV I had or a Fiat 500e. The Smart ED was miserable as a car but the best version of a Smart ForTwo

Mini has a new Mini EV that is cheaper than the gas version after tax credit.

redpoint5 03-19-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 644332)
The Smart ED was miserable as a car but the best version of a Smart ForTwo

I'm not so vain, but even I probably wouldn't drive a car named after a male disfunction.

JSH 03-19-2021 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redpoint5 (Post 644337)
I'm not so vain, but even I probably wouldn't drive a car named after a male disfunction.

I made a similar joke about the ED name with some German co-workers and they didn't get it. Maybe someone finally told the Mercedes brand manager what ED means in the USA and that is why they changed their electric sub brand to EQ.

freebeard 03-19-2021 01:38 AM

Coulda been worse, they could have called it the Nova.

RedDevil 03-19-2021 04:45 AM

'Smart' actually means mournful or painful in Dutch. But the English meaning is well known and few people even notice the awkwardness.

The Smart EV has no gearbox, that alone is already a great improvement over the other ForTwo versions.

Then there's this:
Quote:

Essential importance for Tesla Motors
Although Tesla Motors was not directly involved in the development of the final Smart ED3 purchase model, the Daimler partnership concerning the Smart ED2[17] was essential for Tesla. Elon Musk said at the 2016 Tesla shareholder meeting: "If we hadn’t done that [the Daimler cooperation],[58] Tesla would have died because the Daimler partnership gave us credibility, that a major OEM was willing to work with us, and they also paid us for the [Smart ED2] development program which is really helpful from a revenue standpoint". "Without that investment, Tesla would have been game over".[59]

JSH 03-19-2021 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedDevil (Post 644350)
The Smart EV has no gearbox, that alone is already a great improvement over the other ForTwo versions.

It is an improvement over the gas version but it is still a pretty horrible car. Pre COVID we had 6 as pool share cars at work. The tiny wheels and short wheelbase makes them ride horribly on anything but perfectly smooth roads.

The Smart's one big benefit is the ability to "parallel" park nose to curb in tiny spots. However, that is illegal in many places in the USA

The Smart ED was my gateway to getting an EV. When they showed up as pool cars at work I checked one out to take home overnight. I wanted to compare the EPA certified range to reality on my 50 mile commute. The 57 mile Smart ED made the trip with plenty of range to spare and the next week I picked up a Spark EV.

aerohead 03-19-2021 11:10 AM

Mercedes lexicon

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 644339)
I made a similar joke about the ED name with some German co-workers and they didn't get it. Maybe someone finally told the Mercedes brand manager what ED means in the USA and that is why they changed their electric sub brand to EQ.

There's a rumor that, as damage control, the M-B ' Blue-Efficiency' was associated with a certain, $ 60/ pill, prescription-only product, offered by Pfizer.:p

samwichse 03-19-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSH (Post 644332)
Automakers have been busy making electric cars that don't sell. There are plenty in the used market for cheap. Hard to get less car than the Spark EV I had or a Fiat 500e. The Smart ED was miserable as a car but the best version of a Smart ForTwo

Mini has a new Mini EV that is cheaper than the gas version after tax credit.

Yeah, but I would love one of the new 500e's they sell in Europe with a ground-up EV chassis and better range. I've had my eye on a used Spark EV for a while now, but they're hard to find around here. I'd rather not buy a car sight unseen AND pay shipping. Supposedly the EV powertrain turned the Spark from the worst, to the best car its class.

JSH 03-21-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samwichse (Post 644390)
Yeah, but I would love one of the new 500e's they sell in Europe with a ground-up EV chassis and better range. I've had my eye on a used Spark EV for a while now, but they're hard to find around here. I'd rather not buy a car sight unseen AND pay shipping. Supposedly the EV powertrain turned the Spark from the worst, to the best car its class.

I don't know where "the edge of nowhere" is but the Spark EV was only sold in California, Oregon for 2014, 2015; GM added Maryland for 2016.

Also the first year had A123 batteries while 2015 and 2016 were LG cells.

The Spark EV is a VERY fun car to drive if the 82 mile range works for you. To be great it needs two things.

1. Better tires - that is easily fixed by the aftermarket
2. A limited slip differential. I don't know of anyone that makes one for the Spark but 400 lb-ft of torque to the front wheels makes for massive torque steer.

Stubby79 03-22-2021 03:23 AM

Spark EVs are available up here too! :)

JSH 03-22-2021 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stubby79 (Post 644521)
Spark EVs are available up here too! :)

All of Canada or just BC?

Piotrsko 03-22-2021 05:11 PM

Saw one in Toronto when I was there. Could have been a transplant from USof A however.

JSH 03-30-2021 10:58 AM

More info on the Kia EV6

Range / Charging:
Longest range is 316 miles on WLTP combined cycle
Charges 10% to 80% in 18 minutes on a 800V CCS charger
Charges on 400V or 800V

Dimensions:
114.2 inch wheelbase
184.9 inch length
61 inches tall.
(This is a wagon not a CUV)

Performance: