EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New Ecomodder (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-ecomodder-1597.html)

larrydag 03-29-2008 05:25 PM

New Ecomodder

Hi all. I am a new ecomodder, gas sipper, fuel saver. I am really excited that I have found a bunch of fuel consumption geeks like myself. I am anxious to read up on everyone's story. I already have a few ideas of my own.

HondaHokie is a 1995 Honda Accord DX 4 door. No VTEC. I've already started driving a little smarter. Just today in fact I moved my license plate over the lower grill. I'll be happy to explain how i did it if anyone has an Accord of their own.

I'm really jazzed about the Opengauge project that was started in the DIY forum. I'm going to try to contribute.

So please Honda owners speak up and let me know your howtos, hints, secrets, and impressions of getting the most mpg!

RH77 03-29-2008 05:54 PM

Welcome

Welcome to EM

I don't have solid data to offer, but Hondas tend to like warmer intake air. I'm in the process of solidifying this statement.

Also, is the Accord an manual or auto?

Enjoy the site, and Best FE to ya :thumbup:

RH77

MetroMPG 03-29-2008 06:13 PM

Hi larrydag - nice to see you here.

Just out of curiosity - what got you interested in the subject & how long have you been at it?

Darin

larrydag 03-29-2008 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 16856)
Welcome to EM

I don't have solid data to offer, but Hondas tend to like warmer intake air. I'm in the process of solidifying this statement.

Also, is the Accord an manual or auto?

Enjoy the site, and Best FE to ya :thumbup:

RH77

It is an automatic. I don't intend to do a manual swap. But you never know what the future holds.

larrydag 03-29-2008 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 16860)
Hi larrydag - nice to see you here.

Just out of curiosity - what got you interested in the subject & how long have you been at it?

Darin

In all honesty its gas prices. I figure if I can get a 20% increase in mpg than that can translate to a huge savings for my wallet. Well from the looks of things you experienced modders are seeing some great efficiency. I got turned to Ecomodder.com from when the Digg featured the article on the Aerocivic. I have not been at it long. I only have 1 entry so far in the Fuel Log.

SVOboy 03-29-2008 06:42 PM

Welcome to the site, with your current mileage, I think you should be able to see some impressive gains.

RH77 03-29-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrydag (Post 16861)
It is an automatic. I don't intend to do a manual swap. But you never know what the future holds.

Ugh, the dreaded Honda automatic. There is hope...

I'm considering a swap, but only when the auto dies. On one hand, I'm trying to keep it going as long as possible, and on the other hand, if it grenades tomorrow, I wouldn't be that upset about it. Just the expense and time out of commission would be it.

Since the transmission really likes to slow the car when you lift the accelerator, popping it into Neutral to coast may be a good option to save some fuel and coast as far as possible.

Of course the usuals, tire inflation (understanding the risks/benefits), aero mods, slower top speeds, etc. From my experience, Hondas like it hot -- I've swapped the stock thermostat for a 190F version, and an engine block heater for those cold starts. Also, the radiator block for Winter helps keep it toasty.

Enjoy the site and keep us posted on your results :thumbup:

RH77