EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   New to Ecomodding (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-ecomodding-27534.html)

Weber95 11-14-2013 04:45 PM

New to Ecomodding

Just registered on here and not sure what to say. :confused: been into hypermiling for over a year now sense I got my license. (Drives my mom insane) But I like it, I drive a 93 yota truck with a manual 4cyl in it. Mainly just to school and back (6.5 mile round trip), and I've been wondering what kinds of mods I could do to get better MPG out of my truck on such quick drives.
Thanks for reading!:D

Daox 11-14-2013 05:04 PM

Welcome to the site.

I'd start by airing up the tires. After that I would look into anything that will make your truck warm up faster. Those short trips are mpg killers.

Weber95 11-14-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks you, and I already got the tires pumped to 37psi/40 I don't want to go too high, I heard that over inflating wears the tires unevenly. But I'm now considering a partial air block to limit the amount of cold air and help insulate slightly.

MetroMPG 11-15-2013 11:56 AM

Partial grille block is a good idea. Watch your temp, of course.

Also: a block/coolant heater would be a good mod.

Does the truck have fuel injection? MPGuino would also be on my list.

euromodder 11-15-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weber95 (Post 399489)
Thanks you, and I already got the tires pumped to 37psi/40 I don't want to go too high, I heard that over inflating wears the tires unevenly.

Check the maximum pressure - should be on the sidewall of the tire.
You should be OK up to that pressure - and usually, even when well above.

I'm running 43.5 psi in a 2100lbs car without issues about uneven wear.

Weber95 11-15-2013 04:02 PM

Thanks for the replies.

MetroMPG: I believe that my truck has fuel injection, im not very techi when it comes to vehicles. I have also looked into the MPGuino, i dont know if im willing to spend the money for it. Do you think it will help with hypermiling?

Euromodder: Does pumping the tires up 6-7 psi more give that big of benefits?

Daox 11-15-2013 04:24 PM

Instrumentation will pay dividends much larger than any other modification (that isn't completely free of course).

RedDevil 11-15-2013 04:29 PM

Search for Tire pressure on this site. Yes it does make a difference, but the results vary.
Take a relatively heavy car with relatively narrow / small wheels then you will benefit the most.
I estimate raising my pressure from 2.4 bar to about 3 bar (34 to 42 psi) gave me a 5 to 10% increase in mileage and better cornering.

+1 on the instrumentation. Having an OBD2 tool like UltraGauge or ScanGauge gives that much more insight in what's happening, and setting alarm levels for parameters you don't want to show all the time but don't want to reach certain levels is essential when modding in earnest, like my 90% grill block.

euromodder 11-15-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weber95 (Post 399614)
Euromodder: Does pumping the tires up 6-7 psi more give that big of benefits?

Yes.

36 psi is low.
40 is just about getting there.
44 gets better mpg still.

That's on my 2100 lbs car , your truck would be a fair bit heavier.

The ride will be firmer, but it shouldn't get bouncy
(which you may run into when running the truck unloaded on what I expect to be a fairly simple rear suspension - stiff axle and blades , is it ?).

If it gets bouncy, back off the pressure a bit.

RedDevil 11-16-2013 03:57 AM

Remember soft tires hide problems with the suspension. If the ride gets bouncy your shocks may be bad.