EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   New economy car company starting up in louisiana. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/new-economy-car-company-starting-up-louisiana-8835.html)

my first gmc 06-18-2009 06:57 PM

New economy car company starting up in louisiana.

I read this in the news paper today and never heard of this car company before, V-Vehicle company. They're bringing a new plant to LA, which should really help the state out if it's successful. It should also help with the gm/hummer plant situation. They're not releasing any details about the car yet except that it's an economy car that should be the biggest thing in the next 25 years. Just thought I'd let ya'll check it out.

Louisiana Economic Development Home

cfg83 06-18-2009 08:02 PM

my first gmc -

Interesting. Looks like T-Boone Pickens is an investor :

New V-Vehicle Co. to Manufacture Fuel-Efficient Cars
Quote:

With recent GM, Chrysler filings for bankruptcy and the rest of the American auto industry in dire straits, launching a new car company would be indeed a massive undertaking. But V-Vehicles [WC], a new car company based out of San Diego, Calif. with backing from Silicon Valley venture capital and billionaire investor T. Boone Pickens, intends to manufacture fuel-efficient cars in Louisiana, at the site of a closed General Motors auto supplier’s plant.

V-Vehicles was founded in 2006 by former Oracle executive Frank Varasano with the goal of helping to right the American auto industry with more efficient vehicles. Along the way, he’s picked up several big financial backers, including billionaire investor T. Boone Pickens, former Vice President Al Gore, the venture capital firm Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers — which has also invested in electric-car start-up Fisker — and James Davison, Louisiana trucking magnate and the Guide Corp. plant’s owner.

Would this imply an (optional?) NGV drivetrain?

CarloSW2

chuckm 06-19-2009 12:12 PM

The plant is in my hometown. All the reports so far are saying that it will be a gasoline vehicle priced around $10000. That automatically suggests a sub-sub compact car to me.

i_am_socket 06-19-2009 02:35 PM

Not to take this off on a tangent, but whatever happened to the appropriate naming of a vehicle's size class? My 'rolla is classified as a compact, but is the size of midsize car from 5 years earlier. A sub-compact would be a Metro by my understanding, but now that would be a sub-sub-compact?

I'm just annoyed that it's impossible to get a new car that's cheap to buy, gets insane milage, runs forever, and can be easily fixed. I would be happy if they just did a re-release of the old CRX.

cfg83 06-19-2009 03:33 PM

i_am_socket -

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_socket (Post 110853)
Not to take this off on a tangent, but whatever happened to the appropriate naming of a vehicle's size class? My 'rolla is classified as a compact, but is the size of midsize car from 5 years earlier. A sub-compact would be a Metro by my understanding, but now that would be a sub-sub-compact?

I'm just annoyed that it's impossible to get a new car that's cheap to buy, gets insane milage, runs forever, and can be easily fixed. I would be happy if they just did a re-release of the old CRX.

I agree. Here is a comparison of two Hondas that I saw parked side-by-side a while ago :

Code:

Third generation Honda Accord (1986-1989)
Wheelbase      : 102.4 in (2601 mm)
Length        : 179.7 in (4564 mm)
Width          : 67.4 in (1712 mm)
Height        : 53.4 in (1356 mm)
(Above dimensions can differ by a few inches based on the model)

Eighth generation Honda Civic (2006 to present)
wheelbase (inches)    : 104.3
overall length (inches): 174.8
overall width (inches) : 68.9
overall height (inches): 53.5

You could rebadge the Civic as an Accord and you'd be done.

It's not like Kei-Cars that have legal engine displacement and size requirements. To be "better" than the previous generation, marketing says you've got to offer *more*. You've got to go from a thirsty-two ouncer to a forty-two ounce thirst quencher.

I remember a forum member (here or elsewhere) a while back that complained that all the US "compact" cars would be considered family size cars in his country. For example, he complained that a Ford ZX2 was a "family size" car in his country.

CarloSW2

chuckm 06-19-2009 05:31 PM

I totally agree. I owned an 81 'rolla in college and have an 01 'rolla now. The difference is size is just staggering. I just threw the "sub-sub" for the reasons you two mention.

cfg83 06-19-2009 05:36 PM

chuckm -

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckm (Post 110825)
The plant is in my hometown. All the reports so far are saying that it will be a gasoline vehicle priced around $10000. That automatically suggests a sub-sub compact car to me.

OK, that's cool. Maybe you can be our "spy on the ground", so to speak.

I am already dreaming of Saturn/Penske licensing deals where the V-Vehicle is sold through Saturn dealerships. Of course, they gotta finish making one first, ;) .

CarloSW2

UfoTofU 06-19-2009 10:30 PM

The average American is also overweight and tall. I've heard it was a disaster to get out of a car when you're big. My friend had trouble fitting in an MG

Christ 06-19-2009 10:35 PM

TG I'm not average... 5'8" and 150 lbs since I was 14... and I'm not going to grow any more. I fit comfortably in most go-karts.

UfoTofU 06-19-2009 10:37 PM

Yea, I think big cars offer comfort